Low and High G Strings

snowcooley

Reaction score
Hi everyone!

Not sure if this is the place for this question, but I'm new to the forum so I figure as long as I post it in the beginner section, I might not look like a total loser if the answer to this question is obvious.

I've tried searching around about high and low g tuning, and found some great advice and links here and a few good articles online. So I am now well versed in the theoretical merits and pitfalls of high and low g tuned strings, and, yes, I know that one replaces the other. Buuuut, I can't seem to find an answer to the basic question of:

Does my ukulele need to be setup to a high or low g string tuning?

I have a mystery cheapie soprano ukulele that I bought second hand, so I know it hasn't been tweaked by a professional (at least for the past 3 years). To be fair, it's probably not worth it for such a cheap uke. But it does deserve some nice new strings. It was always strung with a high g string, but I've been thinking I might like to try a low g string. Is this an option I might be able to experiment with?

Sure.

Orca has a low g soprano set of strings. MGM on ebay.

Yes you can. There are several companies who have string sets with a low G. Check here . . . I'm quite sure MGM and Elderly as well as other on line sites have them also.

Does my ukulele need to be setup to a high or low g string tuning?

The answer to this is technically yes, because swapping a high for a low G (or vice versa) can affect the intonation - that is, how "in tune" the sting is as you go up the fretboard.

So, for example, your uke probably has a straight bridge (parallel to the frets), but on some ukes designed for low G tuning, you'll see a "compensated" bridge, which will be a little skewed to the side.

However -- that doesn't meant you can't go ahead and swap that G string. If intonation problems arise, your ear might not be able to tell, and chances are a cheap instrument has intonation problems to begin with. So have fun and give 'er a try! :D

Sorry, don't mean to confuse you, thought you might be interested though.

Last edited:
Thanks everyone!

Ukeatan: no worries about confusing me... I'm definitely interested.

This little ukulele has served me well but does certainly does have its share of intonation issues. I thought I might as well experiment, though, until I get the chance (income?) to get a nicer one. Who knows... maybe the high vs. low g string setup could affect my future ukulele purchase!

Top Bottom