Tangi Manini vs Ohana Sopranino

Ahnko Honu

Reaction score
I am jonesing for a itsy bitsy teeny weeny ukulele and I hear praise for both the Tangi Manini, and the Ohana Sopranino. Is it even fair to compare the two? Are they comparable in material quality, build quality, sound quality? How do you like your's?

Tangi Manini
1Manini.jpg

Ohana Sopranino
ohaha_soprano_sk21_small.jpg

Last edited:
In the shadow of Ahnko Honu, we are all sopraninos.

I would go for the Ohana, definitely good proportions and verified nice sound. The Tangi looks funny but a bit cramped, I think it is even smaller than the Ohana??? I feel your craving for one of these little dudes / dudettes. Let us know how things are when you bite the bullet and get your hands on one of these puppies.

I've got both. You want I should do a comparison video for you?

i would like a video for srue.. your comparsion videos are to die for! if would would pick out two different "cosby" sweaters that would be nice.. it just adds to the effect!! love love love em..

also.. what are the best strings for the Tangi!

now for my opinion on my Tangi.. little guy... i picked one up from MGM about a month ago. Tangi is no longer around.. for now? so i think there are a limited number of these out there.. and i have been told my MGM they are the smallest good sounding PLAYABLE uke..

the one i have is tons of fun! it is LOUD for how small it is.. it also has AMAZING sustain for its size... my guitar friends look at me in shock when they hear the sound come out! it is tiny.. so it is hard to make some chords.. but once you get used to it.. its so much fun.. i tune it up 5 steps.. so it is high pitched!! but fun fun fun..

i play it all the time! and i have a Koaloha Concert, and a Flea Concert.. they are all in dif rooms in the house.. the Koloha sits by my bed.. the flea is in the living room, and the tangi in the dinning room.. UKE all the time!

i know Ken did a review on the Ohana you can check out! i can't find it now.. but go to his youtube.. it is a good and long review with a lot of sounds..

cheers..

I've got both. You want I should do a comparison video for you?

THAT WOULD BE GREAT! Please include a pros & cons of both ukuleles. MAHALO! Locally I can pick up a Manini for slightly less money then a Sopranino buy the Sopranino comes with a hard case.

Either would make a fun portable beach ukulele.

The Manini is Mahogany, Tangi's also has a Mango Sopranino he calls the Gecko that I'm thinking of getting. It's supposed to be bigger than the Manini. Maybe I'll just have a collection of teeny ukes.

Here's mine in the hands of my mini wahine.

Attachments

• 100_1825.jpg
    100_1825.jpg
    81.8 KB · Views: 33
The Manini is Mahogany, Tangi's also has a Mango Sopranino he calls the Gecko that I'm thinking of getting. It's supposed to be bigger than the Manini. Maybe I'll just have a collection of teeny ukes.

Here's mine in the hands of my mini wahine.

Looks like a baritone in her arms. :)

The Manini has its bridge too low on the lower bout. It looks odd to me and it's not the prime place to drive the top so I'd think the volume would suffer a bit from it.

Looking forward to the comparison vid though.

I appreciate your input Mr. Hobbit. Yes I notice the unorthodox placement of the bridge. I would image it would be like hitting a drum near the rim instead of the center as far as volume and projection. I've read the change in strum hand placement to adjust to bridge location. I'm looking forward to the comparison too.

Last edited:
It might be premature to give my opinion since I just got the Ohana today. They seem good in different ways. But Ahnko asked in the other thread so here's what I've found so far:

The Ohana is louder in volume but I'm not sure if that has to do with the strings. Russ said the Ohana's have Aquilla's and the Manini has black flourocarbons (bbycrts was not sure of the brand but he thinks they are Fremont.) Both were set up by MGM so I'm assuming he put what he think sounds best on them.

Both have a bright sound. When strummed, the Manini's harmonic range is high, very treble-y. The Ohana's harmonics are more full. But when picking, I like the sound of the Manini - the Ohana sounds too much like a banjo.

As far as styling, Ohana looks traditional while the Manini has an artistic flair.

That's all I can think of so far.

Mahalo khrome for letting me use your photo to show the differences between the Sopranino and Manini. ;) I believe they are both solid mahogany construction and comparable in build quality. Decisions, decisions. :rolleyes:
sizecompare-1.jpg

I really enjoyed the video review, Alan! Thanks for taking the time to do that.

If you had to compare the sound of the Ohana to another uke, what would it be? Does it have a fairly traditional mahogany tone?

Aloha Alan, That was GREAT, left no detail out (even the tape measure, awesome ;)). Very different sound between the two. Hmm, seems like I can't go wrong with either choice.
To quote the late great Rap Replinger "Mahalo very much, thank you nui loa".

Top Bottom