PDA

View Full Version : Sharing uke love:)

bg031
04-01-2009, 07:12 AM
Hi guys,
Just wanna share...I've only been playing since Feb 09, so I'm quite happy this has happened:)

A week ago, my sister-in-law heard/saw me playing the uke. I didn't even know she was in the house, so of course, I abruptly stopped as soon as I realized I had an audience.:o Anyhoo, yesterday, she told me that because it looked like I was having so much fun playing the uke, she has decided to try to play it as well. I ended up giving her my old Mahalo just to try and see if she likes it.

It just feels really nice to have "inspired" someone to play the uke, even it's just with my basic strumming:)

SmokeyStubbs
04-01-2009, 07:36 AM
Nice, spread the uke love. I've had similar experiences.
One of my friends came to visit and told me one of his new year's resolutions was to learn a musical instrument. After watching me play and seeing how much fun I was having decided to try the uke.
A friend of a friend is going traveling and also wants to learn an instrument. What better instrument to take traveling than a little uke?
And best of all, my friend (who is a guitarist) came to my house, picked up my uke and instantly fell in love. He has now bought a concert uke and we have started work on a rock album with ukes. :shaka:

hoosierhiver
04-01-2009, 08:22 AM
It's always so cool to see people discover the Uke, because you know how much more fun they will have in their life.:D

slapbass
04-01-2009, 11:14 AM
What amazes me about it is everyone always smiles when they see me playing in my patio..Its a great conversation starter, and you only have to know a couple chords to impress..

deach
04-01-2009, 12:17 PM
Uke love is nice! Just stay protected. Trust me.

bg031
04-01-2009, 03:34 PM
What amazes me about it is everyone always smiles when they see me playing in my patio..Its a great conversation starter, and you only have to know a couple chords to impress..

So true:)...and to Deach's comment too:p

SmokeyStubbs
06-25-2009, 01:56 PM
I finally got round to buying a ukulele for Adzuki. It's a Lazy ukulele, I'd never heard of them before, but being poor, it was a choice of this and a Mohalo in my local music shop. The Lazy was prettier, and looked a better build, so I went for that.
I've been playing with Adz for a while now, him playing guitar and me playing uke which he never took an interest in. Now I've given him a uke and he's realised how easy it is to play and how much fun it is, he's totally got into it. His words were, "You've opened a door for me".
He's going away for a couple of months and was upset he couldn't take his guitar, but a slim uke, no probs. He has always had a problem with rhythm, but on his first play, his rhythm was better than I'd ever heard him on guitar. And finally, as a teacher, he's realised that the uke is the perfect instrument to teach the kids and is already thinking of getting a load for his school. Hopefully he'll be joining us on the forums too. Forums are new to him, but I've explained how friendly it is here so we should be seeing him soon.
So I'm spreading the love, anyone else got anyone hooked lately?
:D

Dirka
06-25-2009, 10:29 PM
My roomie's usually eavesdropping when I practice in my room. Earlier this week we were watching TV and I was just strumming a bit. I went to the bathroom and when I came back, he was plinking around on the Uke. He was so fascinated that he didn't even hear me come in.

His problem is that he can't move his left wrist all that well, only for a couple degrees. So he has a really hard time holding any chord that involves the 3rd or 4th string.

I dunno if getting a cheapie and restringing it left handed would be the solution, because then he'd have to strum with his bad hand.

whetu
06-26-2009, 12:57 AM
I also have inspired a few friends and family members to pick up the uke, if they're really close to me I'll just buy them a basic uke and tuner (sets me back maybe USD$50 a pop - no skin off my nose) and I'll give them a ton of links to learn from. Whenever I go to visit, one of two things happens:

1) if I have my uke with me, we jam. I typically teach them something new, and we have some collab practice, which I wish I could get more of.
2) if I haven't got my uke with me, I grab 'my' uke and jam for them ("oh, hey, I learnt this new tab/riff/song from UU!"). Then we hand it back and forth and I teach them something new.

For me it's all about distributing what I've picked up to others, in a sort of pyramid scheme that doesn't rip people off, only enabling them with the power of the uke. For those of you who have heard Larry Lessig reference John Phillip Sousa (http://www.ted.com/talks/larry_lessig_says_the_law_is_strangling_creativity .html), you'll know what I mean.

The biggest win for me though was my housemate, who is one of those people that once she's got an opinion, well... Jesus himself will rise again and rock hard with Twisted Sister on tour before she'll change her opinion. When I got my first uke her attitude was "I consider the ukulele to be a toy." Now she hears me practicing and it's nothing but compliments, especially about how I've improved and how good it sounds. And I'm mediocre at best!

IMHO the uke is at a disadvantage where everyone thinks of it in much simpler terms. Only through our actions can we change the world, one person at a time, and teach them all that this 1.5-2 octave beauty has plenty of music - and most importantly - entertainment value in it.

smithpaul60
06-26-2009, 02:33 AM
I have a good friend who is trying to make something of himself in the music industry and had a few demo tapes out-there (somewhere). When I got my ukulele I had only had it about a week and learned a few songs, but I called him up and planned a jamming session in the parking lot after work. We had about 30 people show up and only our two instruments, his guitar and my uke. (this was probably the greatest jamming session I have ever had.) His first words to me were "I don't want a ukulele in any of my songs." They were, of course, spoken out of ignorance.
the very next day he called me to tell me he has ordered a uke.

LazyRiver
06-26-2009, 10:41 AM
... as a teacher, he's realised that the uke is the perfect instrument to teach the kids and is already thinking of getting a load for his school.

Reminds me of summer camp MANY years ago when we were all issued canoe paddles at the start of the season. The first thing we did was go to the shop and decorate our paddles. If you had cheap ukes, the kids could personalize theirs in the same way.

-- Al

pink flamingo
06-26-2009, 10:51 AM
hm...I do tend to attract a lot of cats though with my playing...not the same I suppose but I'll take any compliment I can get

Dirka
06-27-2009, 12:23 PM
Today our town held the Track Racing provincials for kids. I helped out with the organisation and cake-eating and such. I brought my little Makala along. People just couldn't keep their hands off:

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2580/3666553506_a514d61dae.jpg

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3590/3666552760_33edc1c8d9.jpg

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2434/3665759391_3e5988e685.jpg

The last guy was awesome. He played Thunderstruck. Just like that!

Oh yeah, and the announcer of the event said he'd be getting an uke very soon. He had that shit eating grin.

Good times.

menehunenyc
06-27-2009, 01:00 PM
I get plenny nice comments from passerbys when I play on my stoop. But whenever my wife catches me playing she swears she is going to bash it to pieces, and not in a nice way.:(

RoccoW
06-29-2009, 12:03 AM
The ukulele always sounds great. All my friends love the sound of it. It drives some of them insane, for the find it to happy, though I don't care :)

pink flamingo
06-29-2009, 08:44 AM
I was just diddling around by the lake enjoying the sunshine when a mother walked by, looked over at her son and said 'look at the toy guitar honey. Isn't that cute.' My reply: 'Woman please, this is art. ART!!!'
Ok, I didn't really say that, I just cried a little on the inside and played the kid a bit of Jack Johnson.

Ace-T
06-29-2009, 09:28 AM
Just had a friend tell me they have bought a uke!

Cool! :rock:

Ace-T :)

Go Pack!
06-29-2009, 09:52 AM
I just got a Uke for Father's day,had a friend over Saturday to check it out and now he says he's getting one.
Also I need to get a little extra scratch to buy a Uke for my daughter.She's taking violin at the moment but a Uke would be perfect for her.