Ukulele Market Place suggestion...

UkEdman90

Reaction score
Hello everyone out there in the UU world! as we all know our beloved site has a section to sell ukulele's and related items. here is the deal. I now am able to buy things online through paypal! FINALLY! The only problem is on another forum..... a car audio one i was scammed by a seller who sent a box that said haha after spending $300. i filed a claim through paypal and nothing happened! grrr:mad: so here is the deal...I dont want anything to happen to members that would deter them from this wonderful forum, so a set of selling rules NEEDS and SHOULD be stickied. i.e.

Rules
1. Title must Say item for sale.
2. Pictures with user name date and website should be present in all pics
etc...

This forum is growing on the daily, and im really tired of seeing people get scammed through buying online. I know nothing has happened yet on here but it would be nice to keep it that way FOR EVER! Mods feel free to pm with any suggestions as i have been scammed by someone. and seriously it really is not cool! Im bringing this to everyones attention now that way when this forum gets huge we will have a great reputation! I know UU has a great set of ppl but it only takes one bad apple to hear about it and exploit it!

thx for reading this huge thing

-Don a.k.a ukedman90

Some other ideas:

- Require a notarized copy of the seller driver's license to be sent to UU before they can list anything.

- Have UU act as an intermediary (there's a name for this but I can't think of it at the moment) for a fee...the buyer sends the money to UU, UU notifies the seller that the money has been received, the seller ships the item, the buyer notifies UU that the item has been received, UU sends the money to the seller.

- Only allow members with a certain number of posts to list items for sale.

- Have UU act as an intermediary (there's a name for this but I can't think of it at the moment) for a fee...the buyer sends the money to UU, UU notifies the seller that the money has been received, the seller ships the item, the buyer notifies UU that the item has been received, UU sends the money to the seller.

I doubt they have any interest in being a middleman/clearinghouse. I'd rather see them use their time making videos, lessons, touring , etc.

Its a buyer beware kinda thing. That's as far as it needs to go. Folks should know that there's an element of risk involved, even in these contests. What, you think ukulele enthusiasts AREN'T perverted axe-murderers?

BTW,
I got a rasin for sale. $50. In excellent condition (actually, its a grape).
PayPal only.

I doubt they have any interest in being a middleman/clearinghouse. I'd rather see them use their time making videos, lessons, touring , etc.
Just a suggestion. The advantage to this, though, is that it doesn't take much effort and they collect a fee for doing it.

I am on other really big forums and they do not play middleman at all, all have a disclaimer at your own risk, etc.
Most places just requirenon blurry picture and non-watermarked pics.

Even through paypal, I always use a credit card. If paypal won't do anything, you can bet the credit card company will.

Even through paypal, I always use a credit card. If paypal won't do anything, you can bet the credit card company will.

I thought the whole point of PayPal was they have access to the seller's credit card and/or bank account, too.

I recently had to file a PayPal dispute with a seller of an item not related to this site and after getting zero response from the seller for a month, the dude moved fast to return my money.

I understand it is buyer beware etc. but if certain rules are implemented it would deter scammers away from our humble forum. this is what im trying to get at here.

no more input?? come on guys lets get some set and stone rules here!!! let me start

# Must state a selling price. No "PM your offer, I"ll take the highest one" type crap. We aren't an auction house, and those types of threads only bread lowballing and thread dumping.
# No feelers. Either the item is for sale, or it isn't. If it isn't, don't start a thread. If it is, say so.
# You must enter in what it is for sale in the title.
# No for sale threads solely to link your ebay auction or off site sales. People understand how to use ebay. If they want to look on ebay for an auction selling the equipment you are offering for sale, they know how. So don't spam them here.
# You can only sell items that are you YOUR possession. Do not attempt to sell an item that you do not own or have.
# No offering items for sale while there is atleast one unresolved negative feedback thread about you.

# No post dumping.
# pictures with screen name and ukuleleunderground.com should be handwritten and present in picture.

no more input?? come on guys lets get some set and stone rules here!!! let me start

# No offering items for sale while there is atleast one unresolved negative feedback thread about you.

# No post dumping.
# pictures with screen name and ukuleleunderground.com should be handwritten and present in picture.

What is post dumping? How do I write my screen name and uu.com on a digital picture that I have not printed? How do you resolve a negative thread about you? Are we notified about said threads?

I have sold three ukuleles here and I have bought three. Everytime someone came through. I understand your frustration and anger at getting ripped off. Didn't you get your uke stolen from school once as well?

Ukedman you should be more careful.

As far as the marketplace goes. It seems to work fine. Only heard two people complain so far and that is you and tikiink. You do have legitimate concerns but until it happens here why fix something that ain't broke?

Here's a suggestion

If you already sold the item in question, LOCK THE THREAD!! Or notify the thread-locker-people.

Maybe its already a rule, but if it is, its not happening very often.

As far as rules go, that's entirely up to admin. I do agree a set of rules should be established and implemented. These would be my suggestions. I don't think the UU staff will act as a middleman and make them liable. The responsibility should rest with both buyer and seller. Understand, it is the internet, it is buyer beware and there will always be an element of risk.
  • Like other forums, you'll need to have a set number of posts prior to listing in the Market place.
  • When posting, include a description of the item as well as any discrepencies/defects, photos, price and any other charges (shipping, paypal, etc) and any accessories (case, tuner, strings, humidifier, etc.).
  • No linking to ebay or other online auctions.
  • Make a posting once the final transaction has been made so the thread can be closed.
  • Make a post if the seller has a change of heart.
  • You can only bump once in 24 hours.
Here's a suggestion

If you already sold the item in question, LOCK THE THREAD!! Or notify the thread-locker-people.

Maybe its already a rule, but if it is, its not happening very often.
I try to monitor the threads as much as I can and unfortunately there's no way the forum can be monitored 24/7. I've closed a number of 'em after the item is sold.

I try to monitor the threads as much as I can and unfortunately there's no way the forum can be monitored 24/7. I've closed a number of 'em after the item is sold.

I think the staff does a great job, but I know many of the posters don't inform the forum when the item is no longer available. You guys aren't mind readers, its up to the POSTERS to pass that info along.

What is post dumping? How do I write my screen name and uu.com on a digital picture that I have not printed? How do you resolve a negative thread about you? Are we notified about said threads?

I have sold three ukuleles here and I have bought three. Everytime someone came through. I understand your frustration and anger at getting ripped off. Didn't you get your uke stolen from school once as well?

Ukedman you should be more careful.

As far as the marketplace goes. It seems to work fine. Only heard two people complain so far and that is you and tikiink. You do have legitimate concerns but until it happens here why fix something that ain't broke?

i will answer in order of bolded items:
1.Post dumping would be saying one's item is crap. adding negativity to a thread.
2.Like this good sir, you write it on a piece of paper then take the pic of the item with the paper in it.... example for another forum i belong to:
0327091343.jpg

3.A negative thread would be one posted on any part of the forum stating how terrible of a seller and or buyer you are. as of now uu has no feedback section.
4. You facts are incorrect. I never LOST or got my uke STOLEN from school. nice try was not me. i remember that thread thou.
5. I am not in any way shape or form complaining. i am suggesting! suggesting rules that could deter scamers from interrupting our great little community here. and yes it works fine now and i never stated it was "BROKEN." I merely stated creating anti-scam rules and enforcing them would help. that is all.

I started this thread because UU will eventually become huge i know it! getting these rules set now will be better than in the future when there are 40,000 members or more you never know!

I appreciate the input. besides the slander :cool:

-Don

a set of rules to sell is all fine and dandy. but it would take time and manpower to enforce these rules. and in the end... a set of rules is just a bunch of words that a scammer wouldnt give a pompis de raton about to begin with. it would need to be enforced by a "dedicated" moderator to police it.

on one board that i was active on, in order to start a new thread in the classified section, you had to EARN the PRIVELEDGE to sell there. this was up to once certain moderator who screened every application.
1. if you didnt have at least 50 QUALITY posts on the site, you were denied. this was checked. if there were a bunch of "oh cool" or "that's great" posts, the application was canned.
2. you had to be of good standing. basically not a jerk. if admin didnt like you... you got denied.
3. if you piggy backed onto another post to try to bypass the system... your account got canned.
because of all this, the classified section of this board was pretty damn secure. but it was a lot of work for the moderator tasked with this duty.

i wouldnt wanna do it.

4. You facts are incorrect. I never LOST or got my uke STOLEN from school. nice try was not me. i remember that thread thou.

I started this thread because UU will eventually become huge i know it! getting these rules set now will be better than in the future when there are 40,000 members or more you never know!

I appreciate the input. besides the slander :cool:

-Don

Sorry I got the facts wrong. I'm not the most techno savy and I have not been able to use the search option. I was thinking if that had of been you , you have bad luck. Now I don't know about slander. If You feel I have slandered you , you are wrong. I now see your reasoning behind your suggestions. Good luck with your attempt to change the marketplace.

Maybe I need to start spending more time in other forums so that I can understand this whole online etiquette stuff it can be quite confusing.

Last edited:
Sorry I got the facts wrong. I'm not the most techno savy and I have not been able to use the search option. I was thinking if that had of been you , you have bad luck. Now I don't know about slander. If You feel I have slandered you , you are wrong. I now see your reasoning behind your suggestions. Good luck with your attempt to change the marketplace.

Maybe I need to start spending more time in other forums so that I can understand this whole online etiquette stuff it can be quite confusing.

no worries bro! i was joking about the slander part my friend! :cheers:

but hopefully things will change before our community gets huge!

when will these things be implemented?

Aloha UkEdman90,

I was wondering when the formal set of rules and regulations for posting on the marketplace might be completed and available to us all. I just want to be sure I'm following the current rules on the UU board for posting regardless of whether on the marketplace or simply the forum in discussion.

Mahalo for your time,
Shawn

http://ukulelefriend.com

Top Bottom