PDA

View Full Version : new uke - G string seems loudder than the rest

uke_sith
04-01-2009, 12:45 PM
Bought my first uke - Kala KA-SC. Got it today.
Got it from MGM so it has the upgraded strings.

So, here is my question:
Noob here, so playing open chords and the C string seems to ring
so much louder than every other string. Seems to dominate the chord,
to my ear.

Maybe I need just need to break it in. But it is noticeable.
Anybody ever seen/heard this before ?

deach
04-01-2009, 12:46 PM
Is a low g?

HoldinCoffee
04-01-2009, 12:56 PM
That's an easy fix, stop playing open chords.

Welcome to the forum.:cheers:

bornagainjeeper
04-01-2009, 12:58 PM
i had the same problem with my ovation soprano...It was both the G and the A strings...I believe it is because the string is higher up than the others therefore being strummed or picked harder...my solution was to get a file which matched the grove already in the nut and go to town....just a few strokes at a time the last thing you want is to notch it too deeply...just do it litttttle by little....that fixed my g string perfectly and i've deicided i need to go a little deeper on my A....hope that helps and Be CAREFUL...if in doubt take it to a luthier

uke_sith
04-01-2009, 01:49 PM
Standard tuning. Not low G.

Man, had it one day and need to take it in.
I don't wanna mess things up by trying to fix it myself.

I appreciate the input, folks. I play some instruments but
strings are new to me.

uke_sith
04-01-2009, 01:57 PM
See how new I am ?
I meant the C string ... second from the top.
Post corrected.

ukeatan
04-01-2009, 02:16 PM
I am by no means an expert on this, as others on this forum are-- but I'm under the impression that the body of an instrument will resonate with certain frequencies and if you're building a uke, you want to body to be a little "flat" or "sharp" so that it won't resonate more loudly with one string, similar to what you seem to be describing.

Anyway, if that's the problem, you can try tuning your all strings up or down a tiny bit -- worth a try, anyway...

Toucan Mango
04-01-2009, 03:51 PM
Personally I would not do anything to it until you have played it for a couple of weeks.

ukantor
04-01-2009, 09:46 PM
That's good advice from Toucan M. - Don't get too anxious about your new uke. Just play it and get used to the way it responds to being strummed and picked. It may all seem very different in a week or so.

Ukantor.

uke_sith
04-02-2009, 02:34 AM
I appreciate the advice to be patient and I think that is a good idea, too.
I emailed MGM and he assures me the action is ok. But maybe the wound
string is ringing more than I am used to hearing. The old 'souveneir' uke I have been using for 3 weeks def does not have wound strings.

So do wound strings 'ring' more than unwound ?

It is awesome that u guys are so generous in sharing ur knowledge
and encouraging this community. I am most grateful.

uke_sith

buddhuu
04-02-2009, 03:01 AM
I have a concert uke with kind of the same thing. It's fine played acoustically, but when I plug in the under-saddle pickup the C slighly overpowers the other strings. I'm going to get an EQ and see if I can balance it out a bit.

It's not unacceptably louder, just enough to bug me because I notice it.

I'd be surprised it it wasn't fairly common on cheap ukes. That C string is heavier than the others. maybe it exerts greater force on the saddle. On a handmade uke you could tweak and voice it for balance. On mass produced ukes, though... can't be that rare an occurrence