PDA

View Full Version : Capo? or no.....

mailman
04-01-2009, 02:53 PM
Hi, all. I don't even know if this is the appropriate forum for this, but here goes.

I'm trying to learn uke....I have a Kala KA-SC in standard GCEA tuning. The problem I am having is with one particular song. I can play the chords without much difficulty, but can't seem to figure out which note (key?) to start singing in.

If I start singing at what seems to be the right note, the bridge of the song gets much too high for my voice. If I try to start what I believe is an octave lower, it works out well for most of the song, but gets too low for my voice occasionally. I believe my voice would be described as a baritone (but I'm not sure).

If I use a capo on the first or second fret, would this help solve my dilema? It seems to me that if I did that I'd be able to sing the song in that lower register without "bottoming out".

If you think it might work, it would be worth my while to buy a capo. Don't have a clue why this seems to be a problem only on this one song.... :confused:

deach
04-01-2009, 03:00 PM
You can make a capo with a pencil and a rubberband.

SailQwest
04-01-2009, 03:23 PM
You might want to try the song in a different key. We transpose a lot of songs to find the "perfect" key for singing.

(I could help you transpose it, if you want...)

mailman
04-01-2009, 03:34 PM
You can make a capo with a pencil and a rubberband.

Good idea! I wouldn't have thought of that one....

mailman
04-01-2009, 03:36 PM
You might want to try the song in a different key. We transpose a lot of songs to find the "perfect" key for singing.

(I could help you transpose it, if you want...)

What a generous offer! I don't know whether that's what I need, or not. My music theory skills are minimal, I'm afraid. The thing about transposing it is (if I understand it correctly), I'd lose the easy, open chord formations that I have now. Right?

SailQwest
04-01-2009, 03:54 PM
What a generous offer! I don't know whether that's what I need, or not. My music theory skills are minimal, I'm afraid. The thing about transposing it is (if I understand it correctly), I'd lose the easy, open chord formations that I have now. Right?

Depends on the song. If the chords are C-F-G, it can easily be transposed to D-G-A, G-C-D or A-D-E.

Kanaka916
04-01-2009, 05:28 PM
Try this handy tool (http://www.logue.net/xp/) . . . all you gotta do is cut and paste (if you have it as a doc.).

HaileISela
04-01-2009, 10:24 PM
I do have the same problem often. I think my voice is also Baritone... well, sometimes I transpose down, sometimes I use the Capo. I think a good mandoline capo is always a good buy.:)

SuperSecretBETA
04-02-2009, 07:16 AM
I had a capo for my soprano once... pointless. lol

Anyway, try to make your own capo with stuff you already have around the house--anything hard (pen/pencil/eraser/chapstick/etc) and anything to hold or tie it down to the fretboard (rubberband/shoelace/etc). If it doesn't work out for your voice, no $$$ spend.

Also, try tuning to B instead of C. I do that for a couple songs.

buddhuu
04-04-2009, 12:51 AM
Try this handy tool (http://www.logue.net/xp/) . . . all you gotta do is cut and paste (if you have it as a doc.).

Heck, yeah. I was going to post the same link. That is one of the sites I use most often. It's an absolute life-saver.