My strumming finger hurts...

vikc

Reaction score
I just started playing the uke and I know that the fingers on my left hand should hurt but my right index finger hurts too. Is this supposed to happen, or is there something i'm doing wrong..

If you're using the flesh of your finger (rather than your nail), then you'll need to build calluses on the index finger just like you do on the fingers of your fretting hand. You may want to ease up on the amount of time you play each day until the calluses form and it's more comfortable for you.

I found that keeping my finger straight and letting the nail grow out helped. My fimger was too relaxed at first.

Try pushing down on the string instead of pulling on the string.
That might help you.
This is a technique I use for my uke and classical guitar.

Also, maybe play for shorter periods, more often - instead of one or two long stretches during the day. It's easy to get carried away, but breaks are important, to keep you fresh and aware.

I usually teach people a "loose fist" method for your strumming hand and use the index fingernail to strum down and the meaty part of the index finger to strum up. The first lesson of my book is free and available [PROMOTIONAL LINK REMOVED BY MOD] hope this helps...

Last edited by a moderator:
Top Bottom