Any amplifier recommendations?

Kiwiohana

Reaction score
So, I have my first pickup-fitted ukulele on it's way to me as I type!

I have been thinking about getting a small amp, just to play around with. This would just be for home use, and maybe small venue on the very odd occasion that I am brave enough to play in public! I'm also toying with getting a looping pedal so I can experiment with a couple of different tracks simultaneously.

So, anyone got any recommendations? I don't want to spend a fortune. I was looking at something like the Marshall MG15CFR?

http://www.rockshop.co.nz/shop/guit...mg15cfr-15w-combo-amp-with-analog-reverb.html

Or possibly this Fender Acoustasonic 15:

http://www.rockshop.co.nz/shop/guit...c-15-15w-acoustic-guitar-amp-w-mic-input.html

Last edited:
I know it is a little more money but the Roland AC33 is a great uke amp, that sounds great and has the added benefit of running on batteries as well as ac

I just picked up a Roland Microcube amp. AC or batteries and quite portable. I haven't played around with it much as of yet but it looks pretty good.

I am considering the Fishman Loudbox Mini or Artist ... leaning towards the Artist.

There are TONS of threads on amp recommendations. "Amp" is too short to search by, but search for "Roland" (or "Fishman") to pick up most or all of these threads.

I am considering the Fishman Loudbox Mini or Artist ... leaning towards the Artist.

Simon beat me to the recommendation. I have the Fishman Loud box mini and it is awesome. Simon has play through mine and really likes it. That's why he can't make up his mind about which one to pick.

Unlike the site you listed they arent $800, they are closer to $350.

Thanks all. That Fishman sounds really nice. Dave, that site is New Zealand dollars - by the time I pay shipping and local taxes etc, that CA$350 will turn in to around NZ$650-700..... the US$1,000 Pono uke I just bought will be around $NZ2,000.

Might have to reconsider my budget, or just get something cheaper for now until I see how much I actually use it.....

Can someone with a Fishman let me know what the power input is like? Is it switchable between voltages? What format is the socket on the back (if indeed it has a socket)

We have 240V AC power down here, and I am trying to work out if I bought one offshore and shipped it, whether I could switch over from 110V and use a new cord or an adapter.

I haven't managed to see any pictures of the back anywhere, or find anything in the specs about the power requirements.

Ta!

I just bought a Vox mini5 rhythm amp and could not be happier, these are a top little amp very powerful for there size with many features inbuilt in the amp.

Thanks all. That Fishman sounds really nice. Dave, that site is New Zealand dollars - by the time I pay shipping and local taxes etc, that CA$350 will turn in to around NZ$650-700..... the US$1,000 Pono uke I just bought will be around $NZ2,000.

Might have to reconsider my budget, or just get something cheaper for now until I see how much I actually use it.....

We understand your pain. Our dollars is pretty bad too. Every time I see something good it's always in U.S.$$ that means we are out of luck again !! :-(

I have used one of these Yamaha THR 5A amps for the last couple of years.

Thanks Campbell, I'm definitely checking that one out - that's a lovely sounding little amp.

And thanks for the second hand suggestion Bill, that's a great idea.

I bought a Yamaha THR 10c from MusicWorks. I also have here a Roland Cube from the Rockshop. Neither are specifically ukulele amps but they work fine with the only uke with a pickup that I have. MusicWorks currently have some of the Yamahas on special, $50.00 off.

Last edited:
I have a vox DA5. Sounds good, battery or AC, a good assortment of effects and amp models. Has a line out if you ever want to pipe to a PA. It's the older model so you may find one used on eBay or reverb. There are a lot of fans of the microcube on the board as well.

Which-ever amp you go for, I'd recommend one made for amplifying acoustic instruments.
I use a Roland AC33 that works really well - much better than the VoxDA5 that I have (in my opinion).
Most small amps were designed for amplifying electric guitars; you can get a loud sound out of them, but it's easier to get a full,
(more) natural ukulele sound out of an amp designed for it.
The Fishman amps are wonderful ( but a bit x-ier than you may desire ) Check out 2nd-hand Roland accoustic amps - there may be a few floating around NZ

I have a Honey Tone amp. It's small (comes with a belt clip) and operates on a 9 volt battery. I just bought the thing last month and haven't used it yet. At the moment all my ukes are acoustic, but I'm looking for a decent electric in 2016.

Another vote for the Yamaha THR5A. An acoustic practice amp, so great for home use, with nice built-in effects and aux input for rhythm and backing tracks.

I use mine for playing sessions at the pub where it's easily loud enough to make my finger style uke heard and gets very good comments about how good it sounds with the uke.

bezsbn.jpg

Roland AC33 for me.
No one seems to have mentioned that it has a looper function built in. (45 seconds iirc, operable by switch or additional external pedal.
Output on battery drops to 10 watts from 15 when on mains.
As previously stated get an accoustic amp, not a guitar or practice amp.
H

Top Bottom