Everything I've learned about ukulele strings....

Surly-Mac

Reaction score
This video is designed to entertain & inform folks who might be like me (i.e., low-talent but persistent uke players) of everything I know about ukulele strings after 8 months of testing & research.

This is Surly-Mac’s DEFINITIVE Ukulele String Review - the main subject is the Ko’olau Alohi Tenor Ukulele string-set with wound 3rd & 4th strings.

Well done. Nice style. Like you I'm working my way through the catalogue but I'm hopeful of finding a couple that I can stay with. I have a Fremont Backline/Soloist set on one concert and do like them on that instrument, but apparently the normal stockists are having trouble getting stock.

That'll be the next thing, locate the "best strings ever" only to find the manufacturer decides to cease production.

I too like wound basses. A while back [when Daddario came out with their titaniums] I noticed that they looked like the Alohi [same purple color] and found out the Alohi were made by Daddario, maybe slightly different diameters . At that time I don't think they were offered with 2 wound basses. The only problem with the wound is that they don't seem to last as long as unwound, except the Freemont polished low G. I resisted trying it because of the $4 price, but it lasts at least 2x as long, so it's not even a bad value.

Great video - I love the stuff you do. And I have to agree to a point, although I do have my favorites.

Thanks very much - I have my favorites, too... but I have to laugh at myself because whatever is "new" is super!

Well done. Nice style. Like you I'm working my way through the catalogue but I'm hopeful of finding a couple that I can stay with. I have a Fremont Backline/Soloist set on one concert and do like them on that instrument, but apparently the normal stockists are having trouble getting stock.

That'll be the next thing, locate the "best strings ever" only to find the manufacturer decides to cease production.

Thanks very much - my concert size uke is a Fluke and I honestly have trouble figuring out what sounds best on that... my extended string testing has all been on tenor ukes.

I too like wound basses. A while back [when Daddario came out with their titaniums] I noticed that they looked like the Alohi [same purple color] and found out the Alohi were made by Daddario, maybe slightly different diameters . At that time I don't think they were offered with 2 wound basses. The only problem with the wound is that they don't seem to last as long as unwound, except the Freemont polished low G. I resisted trying it because of the $4 price, but it lasts at least 2x as long, so it's not even a bad value.

Thanks for the information - I didn't know that D'Addario made the 'Alohi strings. I don't know how long anything really lasts (yet) because I've been changing out strings pretty quickly. I think the longest I've had any string set on was the Aquila Super Nylgut... with a Fremont Soloist low G. That polished Fremont seems to be a great string, indeed.

Top Bottom