The #6 Brükos' journey from Germany to The USA...

ukuleleden

Reaction score
I ordered a pair of #6 Brüko Soprano Ukes direct from Germany and they have landed Stateside. Unfortunately, they're delivery progress has stalled awaiting clearance through US Customs.

It's this part of the international ordering process that makes me greatly appreciate dealers who usually go through this process just to have their overseas products already cleared and ready to ship from their shops.

As Tom Petty sings, "The waiting is the hardest part...".

I think all three times I've been expecting a uke from overseas, including the Bruko baritone, tracking just stopped as soon as it hit customs but then they just showed up at my door about 5-7 days later. Hang in there. :shaka:

Thanks for the encouragement, Jim! I take it your Brüko baritone made it thru customs without any breakage or other major disturbances or issues?

Oh yes, bruko packs very well, no damage whatsoever. It was one of my faves until I recently rehomed it in anticipation of my Ono baritone build. Almost forgot - I had bought a soprano at the same time intending to sell and share shipping costs - so you were wise to get a pair. Buying direct you can still sell cheaper than the US dealers and save a few bucks on the one you keep. That's what I did.

Good to know yours processed with no damage, that's encouraging. And yes, you're absolutely correct about why I ordered both at the same time. The savings was indeed measurable per uke, and the added benefit was the shipping cost was the same for the two as it would have been for just the one making it an easy decision to purchase two. No plans to sell either though at this juncture as I am having far more fun than should be allowed with the Brükos I already have here. :D

I share your pain! I have a Pono sitting with NZ Customs right now. Arrived from Hawaii in two days, but I suspect will take a lot longer to clear here - they want their taxes, and I think they may send snail mail letter to tell me how to pay!!

I'm sure the wait will be worth it for both of us though.

I share your pain! I have a Pono sitting with NZ Customs right now. Arrived from Hawaii in two days, but I suspect will take a lot longer to clear here - they want their taxes, and I think they may send snail mail letter to tell me how to pay!!

Hi there, you might wait a long time - try customs 0800 428 786 and nzpost 0800 478 287 have your details handy and they usually clear it within hours.

Good luck and greetings

Hi there, you might wait a long time - try customs 0800 428 786 and nzpost 0800 478 287 have your details handy and they usually clear it within hours.

Good luck and greetings

Thanks! I looked all over the customs website and couldn't see anything. Will give that a try.

Sorry for the slight threat hijack ukuleleden!

Here's to hoping we each get our deliveries safe, sound and soon!

Thanks! I looked all over the customs website and couldn't see anything. Will give that a try.

Sorry for the slight threat hijack ukuleleden!

No problem, it's all relevant and good! :cool:

Much to my surprise and joy, the Brükos have cleared customs and arrived! They are packed real well, almost thought the Scarecrow from the Wizard of Oz was in the box as it was straw packed!

Once again, I am floored by the quality build and the exquisite woods employed by Brüko on these builds! A quick string stretching and tuning on each and both play and sound great with spot-on intonation. Well worth the effort to order from Germany!

Last edited:
Congrats! I wish you many hours of happy strumming.

I, meantime, will continue sitting on the phone being shuffled back and forth between NZ Post and NZ Customs. Looks like they could learn a few things from their US brothers!

Last edited:
Thanks Kiwi! Looking forward to your post when yours finally gets through as well...

I had forgot about the straw. :D So those are the fixed height bridge style right? How is the action on those now?

The straw works very well apparently, better than those peanuts to cushion any hard blows deadening reverbation of any shock from drops or slams.

Yes, fixed hardwood bridge and nut. I've come to like this combination alot. Action is the customary Brüko set-up that I and not others have come to expect, that being a bit higher than a the customary lower low set-ups, but extremely playable up and down the fretboard and very importantly the intonation is spot-on with every Brüko I have ever tried. Other than Martin, I can't always say that's my experience with production Ukes that come with lower action set-ups.

I'll get some comparison pics of the string height between the Brüko and Martins today when I return home.

I had forgot about the straw. :D So those are the fixed height bridge style right? How is the action on those now?

The action is quite reasonably set and is on par with my Martin S1 factory setup which is on par with the Brüko, or vice verse.

Last edited:
My Pono ETPC has just turned up!! Many thanks to chefuke for the contact numbers at NZ Post who were able to help me out a bit.

Just about had a heart attack when the courier carried it in under about 20kg of other boxes and then proceeded to drop it to the floor - with the 20kg still on top!!! Luckily it all looks OK.

Photos on a new NUD thread once I get it home.

Love the look of those Brukos Ukelelden!

Glad your Pono is ok after it's box being mishandled.. They have had videos of delivery companies here in the states where the delivery drive throws the parcel over fences instead of trying to make a proper delivery...

Looking forward to your New Pono thread and pics, and thanks for the Brüko compliment!

Congrats on the 2 Brükos!

My only advice is to check for buzzing on the first 5 frets of every string.

Pete

Glad your Pono is ok after it's box being mishandled.. They have had videos of delivery companies here in the states where the delivery drive throws the parcel over fences instead of trying to make a proper delivery...

Those are called CIRCUS GRADE UKES! hehe

Like the old song, "The Daring Young Uke on the Flying Trapeze...

Petey

Top Bottom