Schertler guitar tuners for uke review.

Beau Hannam Ukuleles

Reaction score
These Swiss made tuners are very nice with a cool modern clean design that makes a nice change from the Waverly shape.

4 Schertler tuners (with bushings) weigh in at 128.6 grams
4 Waverlys (with bushings) weigh 87.8 grams
so about a 40 gram difference- That sounds like a fair bit of difference until you find out what weighs 40 grams......
4 Sharpies weigh close to 40 grams.

12228065_898543376901043_764976188_o.jpg
12227907_898543516901029_1526522202_o.jpg
12214129_898543730234341_1017760876_o.jpg

So all in all, no problem with weight.

The buttons are slightly larger but not enough to look weird.
12226359_898479433574104_453245925_n.jpg12207914_898479423574105_137226202_n.jpg

These are the all metal Schertlers. the Schertlers with the ebony buttons are actually lighter the the Waverlys

That extra weight would be a deal breaker fo me. Might be able to get away with it on a guitar but thats too noticeable on an uke.

These are the all metal ones which are (4 sharpies....) heavier.

The ones with the ebony buttons are lighter then Waverlys.

Can someone wieght a set of Gotoh UPT
I think they weight about 60 grams

I have been looking at the ebony buttoned Schertlers for a project on the drawing board. I think that I will give them a go. Thanks for the opinion.

There are some schools of thought that weight at the headstock is good. I haven't been detracted by light weight, yet. I may have taken this one a bit too literally, you think?

And yes, I have Hipshot ultrilite tuners (light) and brass bridge (heavy) on my bass. You can see what happened after they came out ultralite guitar tuners. . .

Last edited:
On bicycles they used to add drillium to reduce weight. There are quite a few places on a uke where drillium could be used to advantage for weight reduction and it may even look good.

For those too lazy to Google drillium is the practice of drilling holes in objects to make them lighter. Raised to a high art form by the bicycle component maker Campgnolo.

Last edited:
On bicycles they used to add drillium to reduce weight. There are quite a few places on a uke where drillium could be used to advantage for weight reduction and it may even look good.

For those too lazy to Google drillium is the practice of drilling holes in objects to make them lighter. Raised to a high art form by the bicycle component maker Campgnolo.

Side port?

John

I think those are the ones that LMI carries.

Thanks Michael. I must have spent an hour trying to track them down on the web and it turns out that LMI carries them because my neighbor Dave Sigman recommended them! Small world. One small problem however: The price - $67 US... Ouch.

Side port was in jest. But I guess it technically makes it lighter... by a teeny bit.

John

Unless you add bracing and binding, which most do. I added a tournevoz (yes, in the sideport), and didn't think about it until now. Its probably heavier than without the port.

I really like that peghead design. Very different looking, but nice and the tuners do seem to fit in. These European ukes have a certain flair I'm really liking. Can you show us the entire instrument?

I find it humorous how it is claimed that a slotted headstock adds sustain and tone due to it having more weight, yet slightly heavier tuners on a solid headstock is bad.
Just a thought...

Warning! Schertler acoustic tuners for non-slotted headstock used with nylon strings can have an important tolerance between the gears. The lower pulling force of non-metallic ropes can cause this very annoying problem.

Top Bottom