NUD - Ono 16 Inch Concert

rappsy

Reaction score
Why Be Normal?

In my attempt to try the many styles, wood types, brands, and shapes of the Ukulele, I had never played the 16 inch in-between scale of a concert and tenor. David Ingalls of Ono made that possible.

Here are the specs of my new Uke.

https://www.flickr.com/gp/rappsy/3461M1

* Top Material: Solid Port Oxford Cedar
* Sides and Back Material: Claro Walnut
* Fret Board, Bridge, and Binding Material: Ebony
* Neck Material: Honduras Mahogany
* Saddle Material: Unbleached Bone
* Nut Material: Unbleached Bone
* Nut Size: 1.4 inch
* Neck Depth: 5/8 inch (D Shape)
* Strings: Southcoast Light Mediums
* Scale Length: 16 inch Neck on Concert Body, 13 frets to the body
* Lower Bout: 2 13/16 inch
* Upper Bout: 2 1/2 inch
* Tuners: Gotoh UPT Planetary with Black Tuner Knobs
* Cantilevered Fret Board with Carbon Fiber Reinforcement
* Carbon Fiber Reinforcement Of Neck
* Carbon Fiber Bridge Plate
* Martin Style Rosette
* Peg Head Overlay: Claro walnut
* Tru-Oil Finish

This is a well made Uke. It appears to be a bit heavier than some of my other lighter than air ukes, with a good balanced feel.

Simple rosette and ebony binding give it a streamlined look. The line down the back of the neck is visually striking.

The Port Oxford Cedar top gives it a bit of the brightness that I like, and the Claro Walnut is quite a nice contrast to the brightness of the Cedar. I kept his recommendation and stayed with the Gotoh tuners facing back as it would seem, in my mind, that the outfacing tuners would throw off the symmetry.

The Uke feels good to play and has a lot of richness to the sound. As it is a new Uke with new strings, I suspect that it will only get better. It is not as loud as, let's say the cannon sound of a KoAloha, but it's clear and distinct. This is my first time with Southcoast Strings and I have to say I am impressed, They seem a bit thicker than the Oasis, Worth, and the Martin strings I am used to and it will be interesting to see how the strings, along with the body, open up over time.

Working with David is a joy. He responds to each email and does it quickly. He gives you choices, but also makes recommendations based on his questions. He sent pictures along the way, and kept me in the loop as far as delivery time. This isn't my first Ono, but it was the first time I had a say in the development of the Uke. (The first one was purchased from a UUer.)

I will follow up in a few months after we spend our time bonding.

The other people in the queue will not be disappointed.

Last edited:
From the description of the Uke, it sounds pretty fabulous.

But share some pics Lenny. You know we all want to look at the Uke. :agree:

Pics or it didn't happen.

The flickr link isn't working, Lenny.

Congrats, Lenny. Look forward to seeing your picks when your link is fixed.

BTW, our ukes must've been stablemates. Mine is just getting finished up. I second your positive experience working with David.

Congrats, Lenny. Look forward to seeing your picks when your link is fixed.

BTW, our ukes must've been stablemates. Mine is just getting finished up. I second your positive experience working with David.

I wonder how many he does that are in one state or another. Ours were probably in the same stage at some point. Enjoy it and we'll expect your NUD review soon.

The link is fixed now, I hope.

Last edited:
I wonder how many he does that are in one state or another. Ours were probably in the same stage at some point. Enjoy it and we'll expect your NUD review soon.

The link is fixed now, I hope.

Yes, it's fixed. Looks great! You got some nice figuring in that walnut!

Oooooooooooooooooops. Forgot to put the Ono pictures on. I will also put them in the first post.

https://www.flickr.com/gp/rappsy/3461M1

Ryan:

Also got to play MM1258. Russ was there.

Ah!!! I miss her for sure. My mya moe custom is finalized officially and the build will start in February. However I've also commissioned David for an all Myrtle ono tenor to fill the void ;)

Lenny, that is one very nice looking instrument. Congratulations and enjoy! I would love to hear your take on the 16" scale and concert body. Is there much difference between that and a Super Concert?

Lenny, that is one very nice looking instrument. Congratulations and enjoy! I would love to hear your take on the 16" scale and concert body. Is there much difference between that and a Super Concert?

Thanks Hollis. It is the 1 inch difference in the fret board size, as a super concert or LN concert has a 17 inch scale. That's the only difference. I can feel the difference and my fingers are landing on the frets wires on some chords so it's something I'll need to work on.

Last edited:
"Super concert" can mean anything over about 15". My 16" Cocobolo is classified as "super concert". I think it's a great size. Why is it I'm getting a baritone? :p

David is really churning out some great stuff lately. He definitely has his own undefinable "style". All his ukes look different but there's a commonality to them as well. If you had just posted pics and not said the builder, I would have known it was on Ono.

"Super concert" can mean anything over about 15". My 16" Cocobolo is classified as "super concert". I think it's a great size. Why is it I'm getting a baritone? :p

Fair enough. I guess the term "super" is too vague.

Last edited:
.... I can feel the difference and my fingers are landing on the frets wires on some chords so it's something I'll need to work on.

I am experiencing a similar issue with my new 8 string. I used to play a lot of 12 string guitar but that was 3+ decades ago. I find I am pressing too hard on the octave pairs (especially the A) and bending the strings all over the place. I will have to develop a lighter touch, which should be easy as the action is so good/soft on the BR.

I interrupt this thread to say --

It was great to meet you at TBUG, Lenny. Did you love having your lesson in person? I did.

Congrats on your new ukulele!

Congrats! That is one nice looking uke. Clean, simple. Yet tasty!

Fair enough. I guess the term "super" is too vague.

Well by the looks of this 16" here, I'd replace "Super Concert" with "Spectacular Concert", :cool:.

Actually, I always liked the non-traditional approach of a slightly longer scale on both Soprano and Concert bodies. Aside from the different physical attributes of the feel of the fretboard, the difference in tone is often intriguing as well. Congrat Rappsy on your new acquisition, I'm sure you'll adjust to the fret spacing in no time at all...

Congratulations Lenny it certainly is beautiful with an understated elegance. I am so glad you are enjoying the sound of the Port Orford cedar and walnut combo. With so many woods to choice from one is never sure until it is in your hands and you are playing it.

I agree with everything you say about working with David. He is very professional and obviously loves what he does. Enjoy your newest ukulele and keep me posted on how you are getting along with the 16" scale length.

Top Bottom