Prototype UBass from Kala

Jon Moody

Reaction score
I was at Bass Player LIVE over the weekend for work. We are usually across the aisle from Kala, so I'm usually over there, talking with Rick and Brian. This is the prototype uBass that they brought out and were taking copious notes on.

I like the fact that you can play it completely vertical, although it's still such that you can't use traditional upright pizz technique on the right hand. The stand at current only allows you to hold the bass completely vertical, where the neck on a regular upright has a slight backwards angle to it. The fretboard is flat, so even if you put a set of strings on it that could be bowed, you wouldn't be able to do it. But, I don't think they're going for that kind of market.

They're still working on some of the final things (Rick took a LOT of notes when talking with anyone that played it), but so far it looks pretty good.

IMG_3726.jpg

I also got to try the new formulation of the silvered copper/silk core uBass strings from LaBella. They are nice, but for me, I feel anything other than the black OEM strings tends to take away from the nuance and character that makes the uBass so unique. However, for some people, I'm sure they're going to be just the ticket.

When I was looking for Pyramid metal wound nylon core strings recently after breaking mine and not finding any, I ran across the new Kala strings on their web site, so I bought two sets. I'm using one set on my custom fretless bass uke and I like them better than I thought.

BWE bass uke done.jpg

What a coincidence on that new bass, I'm about to take delivery on a custom body I'm having made from a Rondo u-bass to look like the Hofner violin bass, so that Kala bass really caught my eye.

Violin bass both block.jpg

Last edited:
When I was looking for Pyramid metal wound nylon core strings recently after breaking mine and not finding any, I ran across the new Kala strings on their web site, so I bought two sets. I'm using one set on my custom fretless bass uke and I like them better than I thought.

From what I was told, the metal Kala strings I just tried are a newer formulation; the sets were prototypes that were given to them at the show. So, similar to what you had but different. As to HOW different, I have no clue.

Wow, what a cute little bass!

Top Bottom