Living waters strings...

UkerDanno

Reaction score
Strumming Living Waters for just 20-30 minutes results in the tip of my strumming finger turning black. I've never seen this on other strings, I use/used Martins on my style 0 and my old C1K and never had this result. A friend has also had this happen with her Living Waters.

Does anyone else have this happen? I just wonder if I'm breathing toxic carbon dust or something. I suppose I could be strumming too hard...

Very curious. I take it you just installed them, but did you just purchase them recently as well? I've put at least 4 sets on various ukes and never noticed this.

I've used two sets to date and have never seen that happen before. I'd suggest that you contact Ken Middleton and enquire about it.

I have 3 ukes strung with LW.............never had any problem. I agree, you should contact Ken.

This is fairly common with WOUND strings, as it's usually a chemical reaction between the player's skin pH and the metal. But I've never heard of it on any non-wound string.

I've never had that happen, and I've gone through a few sets of them. Just put a new bunch on a uke a week ago, and it's totally fine. That's a new one for me!

I loved LWs initially but found the tension a little too high for my playing. I prefer Worths or Martins or (horrors!) Seaguar fishing line — thanks, bazmaz —*because the feel with them is a little less rigid/stiff/tight. So yes, it's possible you're strumming hard enough to bruise your fingertips, especially if you tend to bruise easily. Stranger things have happened. It would be worthwhile to contact Ken, nonetheless.

Living Water strings are my favorite and I've never had any issues with them.

I recently ordered some LW strings and will scrutinise my fingers with renewed interest after the strings are fitted.

Did you try wiping the strings off with a damp cloth? Maybe it's just some sort of residue left over from the manufacturing process. I wouldn't worry about it.

Never had that with ANY strings really - sounds very odd. I would certainly contact Ken in case it is something he doesn't know about and a bad reel of his raw strings?

Danno,
suggest wiping strings before playing so you know the strings are clean.
Do you sweat when playing, maybe some reaction between the strings and your sweat/skin?
Has anyone else played that uke, did they suffer the same problem, if so likely the strings, if not likely you.
h

I loved LWs initially but found the tension a little too high for my playing. I prefer Worths or Martins or (horrors!) Seaguar fishing line — thanks, bazmaz —*because the feel with them is a little less rigid/stiff/tight. So yes, it's possible you're strumming hard enough to bruise your fingertips, especially if you tend to bruise easily. Stranger things have happened. It would be worthwhile to contact Ken, nonetheless.

I am REALLY digging the sound of the Seaguar line on my ukes.... half the price (or less) of Worth clear strings, and the sound is amazing. I'm not sure I will ever buy 'brand name' strings again.

i second what bonesigh says, i love living water strings, i use them on soprano and concert ukes, i've never had anything happen like you describe. as other folk have said yes wound strings are a nightmare in this regard, i love them! because i like wound strings on low g tenor, and on baritone ukes, i use mostly aquilas for those, baritone especially is a filthy business, two wound strings out of four! very black strumming fingers! but again as people say, that's because of the metal on the wound strings. for an all-fluorocarbon uke, it just does not compute................

Top Bottom