Piano music for ukes

plunker

Reaction score
I have started using easy piano sheet music for songs I want to play. They have the chords and the notes. I have fun trying to fiure out how to make it work the best, like which way to play a g chord sounds the best and when to sturm and when to pick. I have also found it to be a larger source the uke music.

Anybody else do this?

Great idea. There's a great wealth of guitar music easily available that works for the same purpose, but why not piano music, too?

Yes. I do a Google image search for "sheet music" for the song, which usually finds most if not all pages for piano arrangements. Works great.

I like to work from a lead sheet. Melody, lyrics and chords.
Piano sheets contain these elements so are entirely workable.
I suppose that when (if) I move from my simple chords to finger picking, I may want tabs as well. But for now. the lead sheet works for me.
If I can't find it, I transcribe it into Musescore and make it look the way I want.

And I agree, a lot of the fun is choosing which version of the chords and which strum patterns work at different places.

I use piano music all the time for uke arrangements.

Yup . . . lead sheets or piano music for me, too. I find that it also works when I play piano. To me, "Tab" is a defunct Coca Cola product, although I know they work for many people (tabs, not Tab).

I use a lot of descant recorder and penny whistle arrangements on the ukulele. They're usually arranged for an instrument with the lowest note being a C or a D so they're absolutely fine. Many recorder and whistle tune books include basic accompaniment chords :)

It was very liberating when I realized I didn't have to be tied strictly to ukulele music. I'm always purchasing piano or lead sheets to work from. Working from lead sheets adds an extra layer of enjoyment for me as I work on fleshing out the arrangement for uke.

I just buy music. All it has to have is a melody line, lyrics and chords. I don't care what instrument it was arranged for, if I want the tune I buy the music and work out how to play it on uke. You have to realise that there will be tunes that have too many octaves for a ukulele, but only a few. I also like hard copy printed books, I have several that I still use from 1981. If they had been on electronic format you would not be easily able to read them because we don't use 8" drives anymore.

Pretty much what I do. In fact, as long as there's melody line and lyrics, that's all I need. I can work out the chords from there.

When I started with Ukulele, I bought a few ukulele song books but they quickly annoyed me. I like to have the notation for the melody and I dislike those books that put a chord diagram over every chord change. Learn the chords, for goodness sake. I have no objection to putting chord diagrams at the top of the first page for the song as a reminder but over every chord change! Totally unnecessary, IMO.

Top Bottom