Looking for a Breedlove uke

jcrooks

Reaction score
Hey everyone I recently purchased a Breedlove guitar and am very happy with the sound and build quality. I had a thought to find a nice Breedlove tenor uke to match. I am aware of the one that was recently posted on the marketplace, just looking to see if there are any others out there... I am open to any of the wood combos they used

Thanks
Josh

Hey everyone I recently purchased a Breedlove guitar and am very happy with the sound and build quality. I had a thought to find a nice Breedlove tenor uke to match. I am aware of the one that was recently posted on the marketplace, just looking to see if there are any others out there... I am open to any of the wood combos they used

Thanks
Josh

CottenMusic in Nashville Tn did have the last Tenor Uke to roll off the line. cedar top, myrtlewood back and sides, top and back binding. gotoh tuners. $1100.
Its a nice uke, typical Breedlove high quality build, fretwork is delicious, action can stand to be lowered on this one, plays nice, not as loud as i had expected but i'm used to a sitka top.

MimsUkes did have one of the Breedlove masterclass Koa tenors-this was around a month ago, somewhere in the $1750 range.

Another thought would be to email or call Breedlove(Annie in customer service is excellent), they might know of some dealers they last sent Ukes.

(and yes, thats my sitka/sapele for sale in the classifieds)

best of luck finding what you want, they are excellent Ukes,
d

Last edited:
Thank you both for the info!
Anyone else that has any leads I would love to here about them.

Mim had some of the last Ukes that Breedlove made. The all Koa one seems to be still available, if you look at her ebay store.

Not necessarily helpful, but man I love my Breedlove Koa Masterclass. Outta sight! I hope you find one!

i'm going to offer an opinion for you regarding Breedlove Tenor Ukes, and i've had actual hands on and ownership of 6 different ones.

keep in mind what i am saying here is personal opinion only-no scientific data has been compiled nor is there any financial gain of any sort aimed at my comments.
and yes, i have the sitka/sapele listed for sale, but i teeter back and forth to keep or sale it-its not a must do type situation. i dig it, its a fine Uke no matter what the headstock says(i've owned a couple higher end ones that have left the house, the Breedlove won out......), and its the only Uke i own now-so that makes it especially difficult to let go. i've yet to find anything i like better, still looking. if i decide to spend over $1000 i will call up Kinnard Ukes or Covered Bridge. but i'm really satisfied with what i have and i know i can't replace it with anything else in the same price range and be happy, so, thats my personal issue............

On to Breedlove Ukes(IMO)

all are top shelf in action, playability, build quality. everything is well thought out and just works. i love the bridge design. its classy, it ties easy, and looks great imo.
i like what they did from the start regarding the carbon rod stiffeners in the neck(my necks never budged and they are very flat, so no extra relief is built in to avoid buzzing-and combined with the excellent fretwork, this allows a low, easy playing action-UP and DOWN the neck, not just in the first 7 frets).
the neck profile is very comfortable, its a very fast playing neck, finished with a glassy smooth finish.
Radius FB-for some it makes a difference-it does for me-i no longer care for flat/no radius fretboards
Frets: i already mentioned the nice work done on those-larger size and they ring real nice-especially in the upper register where many Ukes(many big name Ukes) go "thunk". think guitar, these Ukes play like a nice guitar-in my mind how a Uke should play in these golden days of luthiery that we live in.
wood quality: its going to be very nice no matter what wood. Breedlove puts out nice stuff-no junky wood.
Tuners: Gotoh(i think Waverly on the Masterclass all koa). they all work smooth and effortless-no loading up when tuning, adjustment is fine and spot on-as it should be.

knowing what i know, and having owned a couple different models of the Breedloves, once my $ range went into the $1100 and up, i would be looking into a Kinnard or thereabouts(Collings if you go into the $2000 range). don't get me wrong, the Masterclass models are fine Ukes, they will pop your eyes out with beauty, they play great every one i've had hands on with(of course one must do/have a personal setup performed to get into the zone), but these Masterclass don't sound all that much different than the bottom end sitka/sapele that i own. now the koa does send out a slightly warmer tone-very slightly so, but the sitka top allows more projection, more punch "if you want it", yet still plays quiet/smooth/sweet(with regards to string choice). i sold my Masterclass. Loved how it looked, but preferred the sitka top more. think sitka top guitar and koa top guitar-there is a difference there in tone and projection. neither is better, just different.
Mim did have an older video out there with a Masterclass all koa and the sitka/sapele, listen to it-you should be able to tell the differences.

Cedar top Breedloves. These have not impressed me. They are nice, sweet, and of course play excellent all over the neck. The tone, the sound, just has this compressed quality to me-i keep trying to dig in a little harder to get that note i want. Of course, and again, i'm used to the sitka top-makes a huge difference. If i had never played/owned the sitka top, i would have loved the all Koa Masterclass for sure.

My 2c, if you want a Breedlove, find one of the sitka/sapele models, and put the other $800-1000 in the bank. If you want to spend $1100 or more, contact Kinnard Ukes and get yourself an all walnut Tenor or anything in your thoughts and never look back.

good luck in the search
d

Last edited:
That is a great insightful review on a subject I am very curious about, the Breedlove. I had a Breedlove guitar which I gave to my son who is a professional musician. I agree with the radius fret. I have one uke like that and it's my favorite, the cocobolo. If I did not have a previous commitment on a Loprinzi , I probably would buy the Breedlove. If I sell some of my inventory and I build a UAS bankroll , I will see if you still have it. I agree, you do not need the masterclass and need to spend the extra bucks.

I have a Kim Breedlove Signature Series uke, which I think was well worth the money. The construction is perfect. I'm a stickler and it's built to a very high standard. They only made 10 of these and for the price they should be built well and sound good.

The instrument was so responsive that I had to change some of my technique when I first got it. It sings out but if you brush a string lightly then it sounds. It does not take much pressure and the sustain goes on and on. One nice thing with volume of the uke, you can play with a lot of dynamics. You can feel the top vibrating even sometimes when you talk.

Here is a video of the Breedlove Signature Series from Mim. You can hear how responsive it is. If you can find one of these, then I would suggest buying one. They'll be hard to find but definitely worth a look. I found the Worth Browns not a good fit for this uke. I think it does well with a little higher tension strings.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JHPocSwCWVU

I have a Kim Breedlove Signature Series uke, which I think was well worth the money. The construction is perfect. I'm a stickler and it's built to a very high standard. They only made 10 of these and for the price they should be built well and sound good.

The instrument was so responsive that I had to change some of my technique when I first got it. It sings out but if you brush a string lightly then it sounds. It does not take much pressure and the sustain goes on and on. One nice thing with volume of the uke, you can play with a lot of dynamics. You can feel the top vibrating even sometimes when you talk.

Here is a video of the Breedlove Signature Series from Mim. You can hear how responsive it is. If you can find one of these, then I would suggest buying one. They'll be hard to find but definitely worth a look. I found the Worth Browns not a good fit for this uke. I think it does well with a little higher tension strings.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JHPocSwCWVU

thats a great video you posted, thanks for that. totally agree on these Kim B signature models-i've played one(its been a few years, but i think it had a full gloss, this one in the video is satin-which i highly prefer), the one in this video kills it-thats a great sound-very nice sustain. i think sitka and myrtle do really well together. and yes, if you can find one of these, i would jump on it(and if you find one and can't buy it-PLEASE contact me and let me know where its at).

and i totally agree on the strings-i haven't cared for worths on any breedlove i've had in hand. i use Daniel Ho PHD on mine and love those(low G setup).

d

here's Mims compare video i mentioned in a reply, of the all Koa MasterClass and the American Series sitka/sapele.

Last edited:
I'm using the Phd low G strings on mine. I recently tried the Phd and like them a lot. It's the best non wound low G I've used. I usually put a Fremont Squeakless Low G because most non wound low G are just floppy with a boomy sound.

I thought I was the only one that did not like Worth Browns. As soon as I got the uke I played them and hated them. I pulled them off in less than an hour.

I'm surprised Breedlove used them on their ukes.

I'm using the Phd low G strings on mine. I recently tried the Phd and like them a lot. It's the best non wound low G I've used. I usually put a Fremont Squeakless Low G because most non wound low G are just floppy with a boomy sound.

I thought I was the only one that did not like Worth Browns. As soon as I got the uke I played them and hated them. I pulled them off in less than an hour.

I'm surprised Breedlove used them on their ukes.

once i tried the PHD strings i contacted Breedlove and spoke via email with a customer service person that i had got to know in the past regarding some guitar things. i hooked them up with Daniel Ho rep and "supposedly" she sent Breedlove some free strings-i don't know if that ever happened or if it did what came out of it. i just know for me, there is a total worlds difference in the PHD and Worth on the Breedloves i had at the time. i haven't found a Low G i prefer more than the PHD.

that happened right before Breedlove sold out to the Two Old Hippies, so it may be that it fell thru the cracks due to that, or maybe BL has a contract of sorts with Worth-who knows.

d

Sorry to revive the old thread but pretty excited I finally have a Breedlove uke on the way!

Top Bottom