Baritone ukulele makers whats hot?

Derecola

Reaction score
looking at Kamaka hf-4 then was wondering what you Baritone guys think of it,and what makes and models are the wanted instruments?

HMS has an HF-4 Deluxe (and "regular" HF-4) that is both gorgeous looking and sounding. Check out Kalei's sound sample on the HMS site. Lovely!

If you're willing to wait for a custom, you might a Kinnard baritone. They are something special (and yes, I'm having one built).

Let us know what you end up with!

I have a Kamaka HF-4 and I love it. It has a nice rich sound and is really fun to play. I don't have a Kinnard baritone, although I communicated with Kevin about baritones before John Kinnard built his first one, and I got to play that first one not long after it was built. I liked it so much I asked John to build me a tenor guitar.

Baritones have a great rich tone and depth. Volume is great to hear the notes very well when playing
This is how i learned to tune by ear, and first play songs before switching over to the tenor, concert and
Soprano ukes. Yup i play it first on my baritone
Ive probally have most of the big names in baritones, they all sound different and feel different
Kamaka, kanilea, martin, gibson etc.. then i have my simple rogue baritone, cheap simple sound
With the tone i prefer, what im saying is... buy with your ears and fingers rather than names brands
Choose what pleases you personally... not what others perceive as good to them.
This applies to all ukes, and even then each individual uke built by a manufacturer or luthier will
Sound and feel different due the building process and materials. Like humans, ukes voices are all different.
Good luck and choose wisely, take your time and control your impulse when browsing, looks are just that.

Last edited:
Pono makes nice Baritones.

From my own experience: faves were made by david ingalls (Ono ukuleles) and Duane Heilman (Black Bear ukuleles).

Vintage Favilla and Giannini are awesome too.

currently I own a Mahalo UK320B which cost 100 bucks and feels and plays like a million.

I have a Black Bear tenor guitar that is very well made and sounds great, and on Mountain Goat's recommendation, I have an Ono baritone coming.

I went into Dan's Guitars in Honolulu and was trying out baritones. I played a Kamaka and then picked up this heavy one that was used. they had never heard of it, nor had I but we all liked the tone, and loud and better than the Kamaka. I bought it. A Giannini.
Then I looked up Giannini on the internet. I love it. Just had Kilin Reece put new tuners on it.

I also am found of the Kanilea sound. They make nice baritones.

I have a Makala MK-B, which I bought new, is considered a cheapo, but it plays sweet, needed no setup, intonation is spot on out of the box, and even has a truss rod and paid only $83. It is tuned re-entrant CFAD.

I also have a Lanikai LU-21B, which I got used, also considered 'entry-level' but has also an impossibly sweet and deep tone, plays like a dream, intonation is very good, and is tuned linear DGBE.

Having these two has reduced any lust I might have for more expensive baritones. I am very satisfied. (I also play and own several concerts and tenors)...

One day I would like to try a vintage Vega Arthur Godfrey bari model, but have never played one, so if it sounds/plays bad, then this might be just a passing fancy based upon the historical significance of this instrument.

There's always tons of love here on the forum for Pono baritones, but I don't recall anything remarkable other than that for maybe the past year at least.

My very first uke was a really cheap used bari. I couldn't play it, couldn't reach the chords, so I gave it to a buddy who could play it.
I was given, in turn, a very nice but cheap (on eBay all day long for about 150) solid hog Harmony bari made in the 50s. I can't play it either, so I gave it to Tammy. We had to replace the tuners, and now it sounds nice.
Seems like baris are easier to find a good one inexpensively than the other sizes???

I have a Makala MK-B, which I bought new, is considered a cheapo, but it plays sweet, needed no setup, intonation is spot on out of the box, and even has a truss rod and paid only $83. It is tuned re-entrant CFAD.

I also have a Lanikai LU-21B, which I got used, also considered 'entry-level' but has also an impossibly sweet and deep tone, plays like a dream, intonation is very good, and is tuned linear DGBE.

Having these two has reduced any lust I might have for more expensive baritones. I am very satisfied. (I also play and own several concerts and tenors)...

One day I would like to try a vintage Vega Arthur Godfrey bari model, but have never played one, so if it sounds/plays bad, then this might be just a passing fancy based upon the historical significance of this instrument.

There's always tons of love here on the forum for Pono baritones, but I don't recall anything remarkable other than that for maybe the past year at least.

I found for $100 + tax at a local flea market. Mid 50s, solid mahogany. Sounds killer.

Webber Baritone, Bear Claw Sitka Spruce top with Koa back and sides. Incredibly light with a wonderful deep guitar sound.

Attachments

• IMG_0058.jpg
    IMG_0058.jpg
    86.9 KB · Views: 26
  • IMG_0079.jpg
    IMG_0079.jpg
    94.8 KB · Views: 25
I have a vintage 70's Giannini baritone (laminate I believe) that I like. It's just kind of heavy. I would like something lighter

Top Bottom