Advice please on strings for Mainland cedar longneck pineapple

LOVEAGOODUKE

Reaction score
I had a Mainland cedar pineapple longneck up for sale here and have decided to withdraw it from sale and try and get to like it.It just sounds really thin,not much volume but rings out well,has a perfect action and would love to love it!.It has Living Water strings on it.I have changed to Freemont Blacklines for my other Mainland cedar concert and Ken Timms mahogany and they are both much better for it.Members advice would be much appreciated.

Is this this a soprano or concert long neck?

For my Super Soprano mahogany I put concert Worth Clears on it and it is much louder.

I think you want to put something on it which will be brighter sounding and increase the tension for more volume and sustain. IMHO.

I never really understand taking other peoples recommendations on strings. They are so personal - what others may like I may not like and vice versa - neither side is wrong - just depends on your play style and your own ear.

For what it's worth I always used Martins on my Mainland, but liked Worths too. Some friends with the same instrument didn't and went with Aquilas.

Personally, most of my ukuleles these days use Seaguar fishing line.

Personally, most of my ukuleles these days use Seaguar fishing line.

Most of mine, too, thanks to your suggestion, baz :)

My son put Fremont low g's on his Mainland long neck concert with amazing results. He was about to sell it, but it's a keeper now. Full and rich sound.

I'm not so keen on low G's.Do you think Freemont medium tension black lines would be worth a try with high G?Its the concert neck and soprano pineapple body.Comparisons are always difficult.I have the Mainland concert cedar and a Ken Timms soprano ,both of which are quite loud.I have Freemonts on them which I think really suits them.

I'm not so keen on low G's.Do you think Freemont medium tension black lines would be worth a try with high G?Its the concert neck and soprano pineapple body.Comparisons are always difficult.I have the Mainland concert cedar and a Ken Timms soprano ,both of which are quite loud.I have Freemonts on them which I think really suits them.

I would think that their medium tension reentrant strings would work as well...just no low g.

Top Bottom