WTB a cheap (100 or less) but nice-sounding baritone

Status
Not open for further replies.

trsarah

Reaction score
I am a newbie to the uke world. Still trying to find my perfect size. Was going to try to trade my concert Pono concert, but flubbed the thread title yesterday. Since thought better of it because I am not totally sure I will love the baritone. Looking for something 100 or under but still nice-sounding, a good entry-level baritone uke that I can resell here if I don't gel with it.

Want to thin out your herd? Post here with offers or email me at TrSarah@gmail.com.

Also, I am a newbie - please take pity and make a fair offer. :) Thanks!

Edit: I am in Pennsylvania.

My 2 cents....
I understand what Jim Hanks is saying....good advice if you want to go the cheapie route. But do not expect much.

However..chew on this...
Call or email mainland and speak to mike. Ask him to,put you on a list for a b stock or minor blem
Mainland baritone if they become available. Sometime he runs promotions. That is how I got my cedar rosewood baritone. Nothing beats the sound on a mainland
Baritone imho. Might cost you 200 bucks or a Little more but then you have something that you can trade or sell if you do not like. There is no market for used lanakai laminate baritones.

Hmmm.....the problem is that my husband might divorce me (kidding, but he would be mad!), if I spend another 200 bucks on a uke, even though I totally agree about the resellability factor. I keep trying to explain to him that I can resell my concert if need be, but....he's not enabling my UAS. He wants to spend money on things like food and shelter. I guess I was hoping that because there isn't much of a market, someone would sell me a really cheap laminate??

I don't have a cheap baritone to sell - sorry. And as uketanzon pointed out, you'll have trouble selling a twice-used under-$100 uke for much. But if you have to go the new-uke route, a Kala laminate might do it: http://www.theukulelesite.com/kala-ka-b-mahogany-baritone.html . It's $40 over $100 - maybe just a separation, not a divorce? - and it'll cost you another $30 or so from this site for the shipping (and set-up), but these baritones are not hard to find in actual stores where you first can play it to see if it works for you. (Hey, maybe you'll hate it, and get over the baritone experiment for free.)

Lol, thanks Dave, but if I am going to get separated I am going for solid wood at least! Thanks for all the advice, guys. I will leave this up in case someone has a starter baritone for cheap they want to unload. Otherwise I will probably go the Mainland route.

Here's a review that might help: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OzeAfkcbN0s

You can get a Cordoba BM-20 with a solid mahogany top for very close to $100 on ebay (sorry but no good setup at this price) A few of us have the tenor versions and feel they are a great value. May be a great entry level bari coming your way from someone who reads this post.

Last edited:
Thanks, Phil! Those were the type I was hoping for, only used. I guess I was thinking maybe someone here bought one and then got a better one, or decided they didn't want a bari.

I guess my thought is that if I buy a used 130 dollar laminate uke for, say, 60, worst case scenario I can sell for 30 or 40 bucks if I don't like it.

If you search, you'll see that Austin Bazaar has a good reputation here. They sell a Kala Baritone without gig bag ($100), or with gig bag ($110), or with a polyfoam case ($120). Here's a link to the version with the polyfoam case:
http://www.austinbazaar.com/kala-kaa-15b-mahogany-baritone-ukulele-bundle-kal-kaa-15b-combo-dlx.html
I have that polyfoam case. It's certainly worth more than the extra $20.

Makai makes a BK-55 baritone in the same price range. Mims sometimes carries Makai, and she has a good reputation here. At the moment, she only lists a Makai Soprano on her store, but you could contact her.

Last edited:
There is no market for used lanakai laminate baritones.
I wouldn't say there is *no* market. I did sell mine, here on UU I think, or maybe it was eBay. The market is exactly folks like OP - people curious but not yet convince about baritone. And there are usually one or two around.

Makala is Kala's budget line. If you search, you'll see that Austin Bazaar has a good reputation here
Yeah maybe but I cannot recommend that route to someone who isn't prepared to do their own setup. Maybe you get a good one, maybe not. I have seen some really bad Makalas (not baritones but still) in places like Sam Ash. At least somewhere like Butler, Mim, or Mainland (and others) you'll know someone who knows what they're doing has looked over and probably adjusted the uke.

MIM might have a lower priced Ohana BK-10 for the low $100's. And she'll do a great setup.

That lu21b for 64usd at butler music should be just fine for kicking around. For "stepping up" I would personally look at getting a 19" bari.

The only baritone I have is a Rouge from Musician's Friend shipped to me It was $30. It plays, its built like a tank, but smooth frets comes with the worst gig bag you'll ever see and the binding is painted on. But after all of that said... It grew on me I like it. They must be getting popular they are now on sale for almost $10 more than I paid for mine. But if it is anything like mine it is playable out of the box and the only thing you'd maybe want to do is lower the saddle. It is still under $40 including shipping. (be warned it feels a little bigger than most baritones) If there is a problem they will take it back.
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/folk-traditional-instruments/rogue-baritone-ukulele/519282
What can you sell it for if you don't like it ? well... Goodwill might take it. Or I'll give you $10 to ship it to me.

Last edited:
+1 on either a used LU21B or the Butler special. Can be had cheaply and you've got to be able to sell it w/o too much of a loss, if you don't take to the Bari. This was my first uke and it still gets played by my son. He makes sweeter music with it, than I do with any of my fancy pants ukes. It's a perfectly nice starter uke, especially if you are not sure if you'll like the size (or will make a fine beater). Best bet would be to find one like Jim's, something from a UU member used.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom