Buzzing on new Kiwaya

Astein2006

Reaction score
Hi all. Just received a new Kiwaya KTS-4 from HMS and noticed there is a slight my buzzing on the C string on the lower frets to about the 5th fret when plucked. I'm surprised because I know they do a thorough set up and Kiwayas are known for their quality. What should I do? This is my first Ukulele.

It's always possible that the action (height of the saddle) is set a little too low for your specific playing style, i.e. if you're hitting the strings hard. Does the buzzing occur when you play soft, too?

Not really its just when it's played on the stronger side. But none of the other strings buzz when played with the same force.

Is it a wound C string? Can you see the string touching other frets when you pluck (that's what usually causes the buzz)? You could experiment with raising the action a little, but I suppose the best thing to do would be to contact the guys at HMS and consider sending it back, if you're not happy.

No it's not wound. It's a soprano. I play guitar so I guess I'm naturally play a bit harder. I don't want to send it back but it will bother me forever if it buzzes.

From memory - Kiwayas can be fussy with string gauges - had you changed the strings?

Well I had them set up the Uke with Worth CM's on recommendation from
UU.

Bazmaz what are your thoughts on the laminated Kiwayas I have considered returning the KTS-4 for two of the laminated. One for me and one for the kids.

if you just got the uke try to let the strings settle in a little....maybe your humidity different than Hawaii....if it still buzzes send a message to HMS they will help you out.....that is what HMS is there for...:) email Andrew@theukulelesite

my 2 cents

Thanks Hawaii 50. I really love the Uke and I want it to work out. I have already emailed them. Just waiting for a response. I wonder if they will let me take it to a local respected luthier if it keeps buzzing or if I will have to send it back.

Thanks Hawaii 50. I really love the Uke and I want it to work out. I have already emailed them. Just waiting for a response. I wonder if they will let me take it to a local respected luthier if it keeps buzzing or if I will have to send it back.

wait for a response from them.....I don't know what they will advise you to do.....but I would wait and see..the uke could get better once it gets used to your climate....

you should hear from them soon...the shop is closed on the weekends....:)

wait for a response from them.....I don't know what they will advise you to do.....but I would wait and see..the uke could get better once it gets used to your climate....

you should hear from them soon...the shop is closed on the weekends....:)

I hate waiting:). I waited for the Uke for two weeks especially it being my first one. I was hoping for a better outcome. I love the way it looks and feels. I don't notice the buzz when strumming only when plucked individually.

I bought a uke from them recently, and it has the same problem. Buzzes on the C string (non-wound) when played open and fretted at the first and second fret. I don't have to play it very hard at all for the buzz to come, and it does come when strumming too, but obviously is more noticeable when plucking that individual string. Mine's not made out of wood (Clara), so it has nothing to do with humidity.

Reading your problems, I can only guess that the setup person at HMS has a very delicate touch when playing. I haven't contacted them yet, but I guess I should. I just don't want to send it back to Hawaii all the way from Europe. It will cost a bunch and take forever, and I really don't want to be without it right now. Think I might just take it to a local luthier instead.

/Max

I bought a uke from them recently, and it has the same problem. Buzzes on the C string (non-wound) when played open and fretted at the first and second fret. I don't have to play it very hard at all for the buzz to come, and it does come when strumming too, but obviously is more noticeable when plucking that individual string. Mine's not made out of wood (Clara), so it has nothing to do with humidity.

Reading your problems, I can only guess that the setup person at HMS has a very delicate touch when playing. I haven't contacted them yet, but I guess I should. I just don't want to send it back to Hawaii all the way from Europe. It will cost a bunch and take forever, and I really don't want to be without it right now. Think I might just take it to a local luthier instead.

/Max

Max I just heard back from Andrew at HMS and he said it could be the strings. I have fluorocarbons and they can stretch and settle funny. he said I should expect some buzzing in that area when played hard but he said it might be getting there too soon. He is going to send me a string change and see if that helps. If that doesn't work I might have to send it back for another.

/Max

Like you I don't want to send it back I live in California which is a long way also. I wish I could take it to my local luthier and be reimbursed but maybe it's better in the long run for them to address the issue themselves. Hoping they pay for all shipping costs.

A string change is easy and definitely worth a try. I'll do that too, thanks. If the problem remains, I think it's fairly easy and not too expensive for a luthier to make a new saddle or nut though. Think I'm going to go that rout, but if I lived in California, I might have sent it back to them. Good luck with yours!

Max

try a little piece of paper under the string at the nut...

Cut a thin credit sliver from an old credit card and shim the saddle to test to see if that works..

Cut a thin credit sliver from an old credit card and shim the saddle to test to see if that works..

Excellent tip, a guitar buddy taught me that one years ago with my Martin 000-15 and it did the trick.

Top Bottom