South Coast ML-WB... The Holy Grail of Linear Strings!

Moore Bettah Ukuleles

Reaction score
*****EDIT**** I intended to put a question mark after the post title, not an exclamation mark. I have not tried these strings yet.

Someone notified me that South Coast has come out with a new set of strings that could end my search for the perfect set. Has anyone tried these yet?
Here what Dirk has to say about them in his newsletter"

The newest set now available in Version 1.5 is the much anticipated ML-WB: the Medium Gauge Linear set w/ wound basses, or as they might be called "the Happy Mediums".

Once again, these aren't Mediums as in guitar gauges. They're aimed for typical tensions on the Ukuleles where Linear tuning is most popular, the Tenor and Baritone. And in fixed note tuning, most will want these in two popular tunings as well: C on the standard Tenor and B flat on the standard Baritone.

And so while these aren't guitar gauges, on the Ukulele another reason to call them "Mediums" is that there are no issues to overcome like too thin / too bright on Light Gauges or too thick / not responsive on Heavy Gauges. In both those cases we've managed those situations with the use of our mixed material approach, but with these strings, there's much less needed in that regard. Just balance for tension and tone and you're set to go. In a way, you could say that some of what we do with the Heavier or Lighter Gauges is to make them more like Mediums.

You may recall we used a thicker light density wound string for the LML 3rd -- it's not necessary here. The third string here is a Medium density (what else), so the thickness is more typical of what one would expect of a wound 3rd; a bit thinner than the 2nd, but nothing untoward - it feels perfectly normal. Compared to the ML-SWs, nothing in these diameters jumps out as thin or thick -- they are all what one would expect: mostly kind of "Medium" for their respective purposes.

The tensions are also even better balanced than before, so overall, the feel on this set is all you could ask for. The 4th string carries over while the other 3 change. In evening out the tensions, this set now has slightly more overall tension than the ML-SW, but nothing dramatic. It still ocupies a slot roughly in the middle between the LMLs and the HMLs. Oh, and the wound strings are both "virtually noise-free" as on all 1.5s.

To us, the sound is wonderful. Smooth - yet still somewhat bright. There is good balance in tone throughout. You'll have excetional clarity and separartion.

Last edited:
haha...as usual Chuck Dirk has me more confused than ever...:)
I will order some sets and see how they are....I will send you a set and see what Andrew thinks too......

if I get them in time I give you a set next week at the UGH show......

I ordered two sets as soon as I received the newsletter. Will get next week

Hi Chuck, I am having a set installed on an Ono 16" concert David is building me. I know Ryan ( Restar24) has just ordered a couple sets. Being as they have just been released guys haven't received them yet. I am glad you started this thread so it can become a place for feed back once they have been played.

FWIW......I had the older mediums (reentrant) with wound C string on a Collings tenor and they were very nice. I even switched it over to low G by just replacing the G string with a Fremont. Nice double wound sound.e

Last edited:
I will order some sets and see how they are....I will send you a set and see what Andrew thinks too......

if I get them in time I give you a set next week at the UGH show......

Thanks, Len, I have half a dozen sets on order.

I like his strings, but they're too expensive for me and I get totally confused at that website. No idea whatsoever which strings I should buy, or even what page to look at. So I signed up for his email newsletter. Completely lost after the first few sentences every time. Love it.

I like his strings, but they're too expensive for me and I get totally confused at that website. No idea whatsoever which strings I should buy, or even what page to look at. So I signed up for his email newsletter. Completely lost after the first few sentences every time. Love it.

haha..i have been a southcoast fan forever....but this time the price caught me off guard...but I will still try them...I am a junkie....haha...):)

You and everybody else without a degree in rocket science. I love his strings and I like medium or Heavy medium tension so those are what I buy. I need to keep it simple.

Looking forward to these, I ordered LML and ML, although as a rookie I doubt I'll be able to tell the difference. Amuses me that some folks assume that since the site is over-the-top comprehensive that it might/must be BS. I just want the most out of my uke so I plowed through and while much of it is over my head, I'll invest a few bucks to try them out. In particular his points about the 4-3 and 3-2 transition make sense to me, as with a single wound low g I DO hear a difference/an unbalance.

I have some SC mediums here to try. I'd like to try the new ones too but I have LW and Fremont on order for different ukes, and have Savarez, Aquila, and Worth on hand. If I was to order any more I'd be worried that I had OCD.

Hopefully when I've worked my way through all these I'll be able to remember what strings were best on each instrument. Better start making notes?

Amuses me that some folks assume that since the site is over-the-top comprehensive that it might/must be BS.

Not sure where that came from. I don't think I've ever read bad about south coast.

They always seem honest and professional to me.
I ordered a set friday too, and am looking forward to trying it on my Pono.
I've been waiting for this set since they ran out of the old ones.

Ill order a few of them too, you say a bit bright.. im assuming the strings are a thinner gauge then
Thank you for the heads up.
Always on the lookout for the holy grail strings :)

At first the website was very intimidating but an hour of reading truly makes it all make sense. I will always prefer more data and evidence than less for me personally, and it's clear dirk is very well researched and knowledgeable when it comes to strings. The core of the issue is that almost all string companies give you very little information on how a string will feel or perform on a certain scale length. Strings are influenced by material, gauge, tension, density, and length of scale/tuning - southcoast essentially gives you all that data (except gauge), whereas other companies give you only gauge (which by itself tells you very little).

I believe and hope that the ML-WB will be a true "goldilocks" set that can perform well on most tenor sets - not too hard or soft tension wise, not too thick or thin, smooth even feel and balance between all four strings, smooth warm sound while still bright and articulate. Conversing with dirk it's clear he believes so.

Just ordered three sets. They hurt the pocket book a bit, but I guess are not much worse than buying the three sets I was to make the Frankenstein set I am using now (Oasis warm A and E, Southcoast HML-RW C and Fremont Soloist g). I just hope the A is not too thin, I switched to Oasis for A after two Southcoast A strings snapped on me.

G
Just ordered three sets. They hurt the pocket book a bit, but I guess are not much worse than buying the three sets I was to make the Frankenstein set I am using now (Oasis warm A and E, Southcoast HML-RW C and Fremont Soloist g). I just hope the A is not too thin, I switched to Oasis for A after two Southcoast A strings snapped on me.

I had a similar issue with an old HML-RW set and the first string fraying on me. Dirk was awesome about it and sent me a new a string immediately. Just recently he emailed me to let me know that he is following up with everyone that reported a similar issue and he sent me a whole new set to try out. Definitely touch base with him, he's been pretty awesome customer service wise.

Ordered a set to put on my Kanilea that I keep in low G, already love southcoast strings. Thanks for the heads up Chuck

Dang, I ordered what must have been the last couple of sets of RW's he had. I didn't realize they the new ones were coming out so soon. Not sure whether to use them or buy the new ones to try out.

Dang, I ordered what must have been the last couple of sets of RW's he had. I didn't realize they the new ones were coming out so soon. Not sure whether to use them or buy the new ones to try out.

For what it is worth Patrick I am holding my breath over these NEW wound strings. I love the RW, really love them, much more then the FW they had as well. I don't mind a little squeak if the tone is great and the RW have great tone. If it makes you feel any better I ordered 3 sets of HML-RW knowing they were discontinued because they are my favorite string.

Top Bottom