PDA

View Full Version : South Coast ML-WB... The Holy Grail of Linear Strings!

Moore Bettah Ukuleles
11-15-2015, 06:55 AM
*****EDIT**** I intended to put a question mark after the post title, not an exclamation mark. I have not tried these strings yet.

Someone notified me that South Coast has come out with a new set of strings that could end my search for the perfect set. Has anyone tried these yet?
Here what Dirk has to say about them in his newsletter"

The newest set now available in Version 1.5 is the much anticipated ML-WB: the Medium Gauge Linear set w/ wound basses, or as they might be called "the Happy Mediums".

Once again, these aren't Mediums as in guitar gauges. They're aimed for typical tensions on the Ukuleles where Linear tuning is most popular, the Tenor and Baritone. And in fixed note tuning, most will want these in two popular tunings as well: C on the standard Tenor and B flat on the standard Baritone.

And so while these aren't guitar gauges, on the Ukulele another reason to call them "Mediums" is that there are no issues to overcome like too thin / too bright on Light Gauges or too thick / not responsive on Heavy Gauges. In both those cases we've managed those situations with the use of our mixed material approach, but with these strings, there's much less needed in that regard. Just balance for tension and tone and you're set to go. In a way, you could say that some of what we do with the Heavier or Lighter Gauges is to make them more like Mediums.

You may recall we used a thicker light density wound string for the LML 3rd -- it's not necessary here. The third string here is a Medium density (what else), so the thickness is more typical of what one would expect of a wound 3rd; a bit thinner than the 2nd, but nothing untoward - it feels perfectly normal. Compared to the ML-SWs, nothing in these diameters jumps out as thin or thick -- they are all what one would expect: mostly kind of "Medium" for their respective purposes.

The tensions are also even better balanced than before, so overall, the feel on this set is all you could ask for. The 4th string carries over while the other 3 change. In evening out the tensions, this set now has slightly more overall tension than the ML-SW, but nothing dramatic. It still ocupies a slot roughly in the middle between the LMLs and the HMLs. Oh, and the wound strings are both "virtually noise-free" as on all 1.5s.

To us, the sound is wonderful. Smooth - yet still somewhat bright. There is good balance in tone throughout. You'll have excetional clarity and separartion.

hawaii 50
11-15-2015, 07:01 AM
haha...as usual Chuck Dirk has me more confused than ever...:)
I will order some sets and see how they are....I will send you a set and see what Andrew thinks too......

if I get them in time I give you a set next week at the UGH show......

Recstar24
11-15-2015, 07:05 AM
I ordered two sets as soon as I received the newsletter. Will get next week

DownUpDave
11-15-2015, 07:07 AM
Hi Chuck, I am having a set installed on an Ono 16" concert David is building me. I know Ryan ( Restar24) has just ordered a couple sets. Being as they have just been released guys haven't received them yet. I am glad you started this thread so it can become a place for feed back once they have been played.

FWIW......I had the older mediums (reentrant) with wound C string on a Collings tenor and they were very nice. I even switched it over to low G by just replacing the G string with a Fremont. Nice double wound sound.e

Moore Bettah Ukuleles
11-15-2015, 07:12 AM
I will order some sets and see how they are....I will send you a set and see what Andrew thinks too......

if I get them in time I give you a set next week at the UGH show......

Thanks, Len, I have half a dozen sets on order.

Moore Bettah Ukuleles
11-15-2015, 07:13 AM
I had the older mediums (reentrant) with wound C string on a Collings tenor and they were very nice.

I liked those too.

Rodney.
11-15-2015, 07:18 AM
I like his strings, but they're too expensive for me and I get totally confused at that website. No idea whatsoever which strings I should buy, or even what page to look at. So I signed up for his email newsletter. Completely lost after the first few sentences every time. Love it.

hawaii 50
11-15-2015, 07:24 AM
I like his strings, but they're too expensive for me and I get totally confused at that website. No idea whatsoever which strings I should buy, or even what page to look at. So I signed up for his email newsletter. Completely lost after the first few sentences every time. Love it.

haha..i have been a southcoast fan forever....but this time the price caught me off guard...but I will still try them...I am a junkie....haha...):)

DownUpDave
11-15-2015, 07:25 AM

You and everybody else without a degree in rocket science. I love his strings and I like medium or Heavy medium tension so those are what I buy. I need to keep it simple.

macfish
11-15-2015, 08:52 AM
Looking forward to these, I ordered LML and ML, although as a rookie I doubt I'll be able to tell the difference. Amuses me that some folks assume that since the site is over-the-top comprehensive that it might/must be BS. I just want the most out of my uke so I plowed through and while much of it is over my head, I'll invest a few bucks to try them out. In particular his points about the 4-3 and 3-2 transition make sense to me, as with a single wound low g I DO hear a difference/an unbalance.

pritch
11-15-2015, 10:03 AM
I have some SC mediums here to try. I'd like to try the new ones too but I have LW and Fremont on order for different ukes, and have Savarez, Aquila, and Worth on hand. If I was to order any more I'd be worried that I had OCD.

Hopefully when I've worked my way through all these I'll be able to remember what strings were best on each instrument. Better start making notes?

spookelele
11-15-2015, 10:12 AM
Amuses me that some folks assume that since the site is over-the-top comprehensive that it might/must be BS.

Not sure where that came from. I don't think I've ever read bad about south coast.

They always seem honest and professional to me.
I ordered a set friday too, and am looking forward to trying it on my Pono.
I've been waiting for this set since they ran out of the old ones.

mm stan
11-15-2015, 10:27 AM
Ill order a few of them too, you say a bit bright.. im assuming the strings are a thinner gauge then
Thank you for the heads up.
Always on the lookout for the holy grail strings :)

Recstar24
11-15-2015, 11:49 AM
At first the website was very intimidating but an hour of reading truly makes it all make sense. I will always prefer more data and evidence than less for me personally, and it's clear dirk is very well researched and knowledgeable when it comes to strings. The core of the issue is that almost all string companies give you very little information on how a string will feel or perform on a certain scale length. Strings are influenced by material, gauge, tension, density, and length of scale/tuning - southcoast essentially gives you all that data (except gauge), whereas other companies give you only gauge (which by itself tells you very little).

I believe and hope that the ML-WB will be a true "goldilocks" set that can perform well on most tenor sets - not too hard or soft tension wise, not too thick or thin, smooth even feel and balance between all four strings, smooth warm sound while still bright and articulate. Conversing with dirk it's clear he believes so.

wickedwahine11
11-15-2015, 11:56 AM
Just ordered three sets. They hurt the pocket book a bit, but I guess are not much worse than buying the three sets I was to make the Frankenstein set I am using now (Oasis warm A and E, Southcoast HML-RW C and Fremont Soloist g). I just hope the A is not too thin, I switched to Oasis for A after two Southcoast A strings snapped on me.

Recstar24
11-15-2015, 01:36 PM
G
Just ordered three sets. They hurt the pocket book a bit, but I guess are not much worse than buying the three sets I was to make the Frankenstein set I am using now (Oasis warm A and E, Southcoast HML-RW C and Fremont Soloist g). I just hope the A is not too thin, I switched to Oasis for A after two Southcoast A strings snapped on me.

I had a similar issue with an old HML-RW set and the first string fraying on me. Dirk was awesome about it and sent me a new a string immediately. Just recently he emailed me to let me know that he is following up with everyone that reported a similar issue and he sent me a whole new set to try out. Definitely touch base with him, he's been pretty awesome customer service wise.

Steveperrywriter
11-15-2015, 01:58 PM
I got the SC light-medium linears and love 'em. The C string is thicker than the G, but they are the most squeak-free I have played. Here is that thread, if you missed it:

http://forum.ukuleleunderground.com/showthread.php?116575-Southcoast-Squeakless-Strings

Ukulelerick9255
11-15-2015, 02:18 PM
Ordered a set to put on my Kanilea that I keep in low G, already love southcoast strings. Thanks for the heads up Chuck

Patrick Madsen
11-15-2015, 06:56 PM
Dang, I ordered what must have been the last couple of sets of RW's he had. I didn't realize they the new ones were coming out so soon. Not sure whether to use them or buy the new ones to try out.

DownUpDave
11-16-2015, 01:20 AM
Dang, I ordered what must have been the last couple of sets of RW's he had. I didn't realize they the new ones were coming out so soon. Not sure whether to use them or buy the new ones to try out.

For what it is worth Patrick I am holding my breath over these NEW wound strings. I love the RW, really love them, much more then the FW they had as well. I don't mind a little squeak if the tone is great and the RW have great tone. If it makes you feel any better I ordered 3 sets of HML-RW knowing they were discontinued because they are my favorite string.

Recstar24
11-16-2015, 03:51 AM
Agree with Dave. The HML-RW set is a classic string set. Even with the squeak it hits so many positive sound points. Dirk had mentioned that if you like the tension and you need a little more brightness from you string set the HML-RW is still a very solid choice.

In my application I'll be using it on my Hoffmann ML tenor, which was setup with a slightly higher action than normal plus it's a sustain beast, I believe the lower tension feel of the light medium or medium may be a better fit. On my stansell flamenco uke with very low action, less sustain and more attack, the HML-RW is perfect.

Patrick Madsen
11-16-2015, 06:16 AM
Good to know guys, thanks. I really like the RW's myself so there's no hesitation using them to the last.

stevejfc
11-16-2015, 06:34 AM
G

I had a similar issue with an old HML-RW set and the first string fraying on me. Dirk was awesome about it and sent me a new a string immediately. Just recently he emailed me to let me know that he is following up with everyone that reported a similar issue and he sent me a whole new set to try out. Definitely touch base with him, he's been pretty awesome customer service wise.

I've had the same issue with the 1st string....... had 3 or 4 fray. Both Dick @ SC and Andrew @ HMS have been great about replacing.

70sSanO
11-16-2015, 08:10 AM

This is the problem I have with both Oasis and Southcoast, neither one publishes string diameters. Southcoast has their string chart, but I would prefer actual diameters so I don't have to buy different sets and then measure them. At least Oasis only has Bright and Warm and the C and E and the same in both sets.

John

spookelele
11-16-2015, 08:32 AM
This is the problem I have

yeah... and they should just tell us what #test and from which fishing line maker they source their strings from.

And all those people that post cool videos... and then don't put the tab right there in the description... and then you ask them for the tabs, and they ignore you....

</sarcasm>

70sSanO
11-16-2015, 09:13 AM
yeah... and they should just tell us what #test and from which fishing line maker they source their strings from.

This is probably off the subject of a wound string, I have used Southcoast and they are good strings. But if I am testing out strings, I would like to know a little more detail before just buying them, measuring them out, buying another set, etc. There are very few guitarists that would just buy string sets without that information.

John

spookelele
11-16-2015, 10:15 AM
ok. So... in a wound string, what would the diameter tell you?

2 wound strings with the same diameter are not the same.

The metal composition, the diameter of the winding wire, the shape of the wire, the tightness of the wind, the amount of polish/grind, the diameter of the core, stranded vs solid core, nylon vs poly vs mystery fiber, any coatings to the string, etc.

The only thing I can think of... is it might tell you if it will fit in your nut, and even that is iffy.

With a brand new string.. the only realistic basis you have for a comparison.. is to string it up and play, which you can't really do without having it in hand.

70sSanO
11-16-2015, 11:32 AM
Right now all I'm trying to do is diffuse this sidebar and let the thread go on as it was intended.

John

Recstar24
11-16-2015, 11:36 AM
Right now all I'm trying to do is diffuse this sidebar and let the thread go on as it was intended.

John

Spook's reply and comments are still on topic and reply to your original question. He is saying that your request for string diameter doesn't really tell you anything. However, the info that southcoast gives you tells you way more hoe the string will perform and feel than just giving you string diameter.

strumsilly
11-16-2015, 12:29 PM
Has anybody had a chance to actually try these. I really like southcoast strings, but they are spendy and I'm reluctant to shell out that much unless they were significantly different from the set with 2 smoothwounds I tried a while ago.

Recstar24
11-16-2015, 01:03 PM
Read above. Just released and we are all waiting on order.

70sSanO
11-16-2015, 03:08 PM
Spook's reply and comments are still on topic and reply to your original question. He is saying that your request for string diameter doesn't really tell you anything. However, the info that southcoast gives you tells you way more hoe the string will perform and feel than just giving you string diameter.

Okay... This thread should be about wound. But I "used" to use their re-entrant strings. About 5 years ago, I tried one of their 3-pack offers of different strings. Strings were honked up, these things happen, and there was no way to figure out what went with what. Tossed them out.

As for finding out the size and mfg, not interested. The Fred Shields ukes come with fishing line and line is okay, but I wasn't impressed and wouldn't waste my money on the quantity you need to buy. Right now I am using Oasis and Worth, along with Fremont and Aquila Red singles.

But I hope these are good strings. I might try one of their wound strings.

John

70sSanO
11-17-2015, 04:53 AM
One last point, unless I've missed it on their websites, I don't know of any ukulele string manufacturer that provides string tensions. I know there are generic calculators out there, but I have yet to find one that gives a calculator for their own strings. A person can enter the scale length and tuned note and see the amount of string tension. In all honesty, diameter is a somewhat poor substitute for this. Since I have less experience with wound strings, this may also be helpful in evaluating wound strings to achieve the right balance.

It is interesting that over the past 10 years there has been a major push to maximize the tone and sustain out of a ukulele. Since ukuleles have such a small sound box compared to a guitar, I think that ukuleles have a narrower band for the "best" string tensions. For anyone who has gone the Frankenstein route, it would be nice to understand that for this or that particular ukulele I really need no more than 12lbs on the A string.

John

Jon Moody
11-17-2015, 05:02 AM
One last point, unless I've missed it on their websites, I don't know of any ukulele string manufacturer that provides string tensions.

D'Addario has the string tensions of all their strings on their website, including ukulele sets.

I think they also have a tension calculator, but I don't think it covers ukulele; just guitar and bass.

I would wager that a reason that there isn't a lot of specific string tension for ukulele is that, much like classical guitar, they used "tension" in terms of stiffness/flexibility when choosing a set of strings. This is NOT the same tension that you're referring to, which many guitarists know as the amount of force put on an instrument by a string of a certain length and pitch.

In all honesty, diameter is a somewhat poor substitute for this.

Agreed. Diameter is the size of the string; nothing more.

It is interesting that over the past 10 years there has been a major push to maximize the tone and sustain out of a ukulele. Since ukuleles have such a small sound box compared to a guitar, I think that ukuleles have a narrower band for the "best" string tensions.

I think it's "coming," but it'll still take time. Another thing is that we have to find out what would be considered a "good" string tension. With guitars, it's somewhat understood where the tension for a "light" set should be (as well as gauges), but I have yet to see one for ukulele. Dirk's charts that he has are very good in terms of what they recommend, but it sounds like you're looking for the actual numbers BEHIND that chart.

70sSanO
11-17-2015, 05:37 AM
Dirk's charts that he has are very good in terms of what they recommend, but it sounds like you're looking for the actual numbers BEHIND that chart.

OBM,

Everything you have said is exactly what I was "trying" to put into words. Perfect! I realize that with 18" tenor scale I have a unique situation and that has driven me to find that balance between sound and tension, but I try to find that on all of my ukuleles. The tension numbers, by string, would be helpful to me, maybe not to others. Eventually, string manufacturers, like Southcoast, will be able to offer custom mixed sets to try and achieve that "best" sound. This is something the big boys like D'Addario won't be able to do.

Thanks for your input!

John

Jon Moody
11-17-2015, 06:44 AM
Eventually, string manufacturers, like Southcoast, will be able to offer custom mixed sets to try and achieve that "best" sound. This is something the big boys like D'Addario won't be able to do.

In packaged sets, no, they can't. However, since D'Addario already has their tension numbers available for anyone that knows how to use them (and that is another subject, in that there isn't a whole lot of education as to what tension is, how it's calculated, etc..), you could argue that they already can make custom sets out of the D'A singles, and for less money (bigger company, tech is such that it's easier/quicker to make wound strings, etc..).

Recstar24
11-17-2015, 09:27 AM
Another challenge is that string manufacturers haven't necessarily settled on a standard way to measure and communication tension information, correct?

With that said, I still applaud Southcoast for giving us something that is somewhat useful, though still somewhat subjective.

Jon Moody
11-17-2015, 09:43 AM
Another challenge is that string manufacturers haven't necessarily settled on a standard way to measure and communication tension information, correct?

For electric & acoustic guitars, bass guitars and many others, yes. There is a standard that was pretty much adopted when D'Addario officially published their first string tension guide. In the electric world, the other companies that offer a string tension guide (Kalium Strings, Elixer Strings, GHS Strings) follow this same formula.

For ukulele, not yet. Mainly because until somewhat recently, no one really asked about specific tension numbers. Only when other (non-nylon based) materials entered the equation did people start to ask, because at that point, simply saying "hard tension" or "warm tension" wasn't the full picture anymore.

Recstar24
11-17-2015, 09:57 AM
...and couple that with the notion that ukes are increasingly becoming more higher performing and popular, and many users and builders are wanting to maximize the amount of sustain and volume that can be produced on a uke, is probably leading to consumers and builders wanting more information, possibly needing more information, correct?

Jon Moody
11-17-2015, 10:01 AM
...and couple that with the notion that ukes are increasingly becoming more higher performing and popular, and many users and builders are wanting to maximize the amount of sustain and volume that can be produced on a uke, is probably leading to consumers and builders wanting more information, possibly needing more information, correct?

Builders have asked for a while; that's not new. Consumers wanting that specific info is, but as mentioned, the education for the consumers to understand exactly what all the numbers and info is and how it all relates, is not there. I've given a number of talks at ukulele groups and festivals trying to do this exact thing; educate the consumer so they know exactly what all the terms and numbers mean.

hawaii 50
11-17-2015, 10:11 AM
Back to the original question please....

has any one tried the new South Coast ML-WB strings yet?....
this post is going in the wrong direction..IMO

Jon Moody
11-17-2015, 10:15 AM
Back to the original question please....

has any one tried the new South Coast ML-WB strings yet?....
this post is going in the wrong direction..IMO

Recstar said on post #31 that they're waiting on their orders.

And education on strings, tension and the science behind it I think has intrinsic value, especially when folks are asking questions on new, waiting to be shipped, formulations.

hawaii 50
11-17-2015, 10:22 AM
Recstar said on post #31 that they're waiting on their orders.

And education on strings, tension and the science behind it I think has intrinsic value, especially when folks are asking questions on new, waiting to be shipped, formulations.

see post 2 and 5 I have strings on order also....what does that have to do with the question (has anyone tried the new South Coast strings yet ?)

but I don't really need to know diameter(even though I do take notice)I use my ears and fingers to decide...but that is only me.....
you should start a thread on string diameter,tension etc...would make more sense to me....

yes I know the strings have not been sent out yet.....so talking about Dirk's products make sense...not the other string makers...
btw I do not work for Dirk....:)

my 2 cents

Steveperrywriter
11-17-2015, 11:09 AM
From what I understand of Dirk's most recent post regarding the mediums, the bass strings aren't the same as the light linears, I mentioned the C string is thicker than the G on those. Probably the E and A are the same, but I dunno, so digging up my calipers and checking the thickness might not be of any use to anybody. Assuming I can figure out how to use my calipers, and what those numbers on the little dial mean ...

macfish
11-17-2015, 11:20 AM
Geez patience folks. Anticipate they'll arrive Thursday, but may not get them on until the weekend. Not even sure which I'll start with the LML or ML. And solely interested in how they'll work for me. YMMV. They're just uke strings, we're not curing cancer here. I'm not a luthier, and not even a good enough player to likely distinguish much difference between strings. But if the new formula results in less squeak and a more even balance to MY ear I'll be happy. Dirk never claimed they were the Holy Grail, just new. Enjoy what you have/like until you find what pleases you more. I don't think anyone ever asked Picasso what brand/size/diameter of brushes he used or the tension at which he stretched his canvas :)

librainian
11-17-2015, 11:35 AM
I got an LHL-MB 1.5 set delivered yesterday and plan to string my Mya Moe baritone with them tonight. Depending on how long they take to settle I will try to record some sounds samples soon. I think they recommended A tuning, so I might start there.

macfish
11-18-2015, 03:49 AM
wow, and now the ML-WB are already sold out

spookelele
11-18-2015, 03:58 AM

I think alot of people were waiting for them.
Also, this thread probably interested people.
I'm not sure how big south coast is, but Ive gotten the impression that they do smaller batch.

wickedwahine11
11-18-2015, 04:14 AM

Wow that was fast! I'm glad I ordered three. I always try to have a backup set or two just from having had strings break on me in the past. I'm looking forward to trying them out this weekend.

Osprey
11-18-2015, 04:16 AM
I was going to order some. I'll just have to wait. The strings on the Uke I was going to put them on still have a lot of life yet. But I am curious on how they would sound. Looking forward to reports on how everyone likes them.

JustinJ
11-18-2015, 06:51 AM
I see no problem with discussing other string makers. I enjoy hearing the technical aspect about the strings. Sometimes threads can take an interesting turn.

I'll be curious to see how these strings sound.

If the strings are squeakless like Fremont Soloist Low G then I would be interested. I like a wound C, just not the noise. At present, I have Phd strings which are quite good. There are no wound strings on the PHd set.

see post 2 and 5 I have strings on order also....what does that have to do with the question (has anyone tried the new South Coast strings yet ?)

but I don't really need to know diameter(even though I do take notice)I use my ears and fingers to decide...but that is only me.....
you should start a thread on string diameter,tension etc...would make more sense to me....

yes I know the strings have not been sent out yet.....so talking about Dirk's products make sense...not the other string makers...
btw I do not work for Dirk....:)

my 2 cents

Moore Bettah Ukuleles
11-18-2015, 07:44 AM
I was going to order some. I'll just have to wait. The strings on the Uke I was going to put them on still have a lot of life yet. But I am curious on how they would sound. Looking forward to reports on how everyone likes them.

Don't feel bad, I didn't get any either. Like you I'll be waiting for the reviews.

hawaii 50
11-18-2015, 07:55 AM
Haha...my order did not get through either.....I will wait for the reviews.....:)

Sporin
11-18-2015, 09:12 AM

Yeah, planning to order a set when they come back into stock. Sounds like just what I want for my spruce top tenor. I've been using Worth browns but they are getting old and sounding a bit dull. I'd like to brighten things up a bit.

ML-WB: Medium Gauge Linear Set
w/ wound basses New Version 1.5
This set also uses the traditional 4-string 50-50 linear arrangement with a smooth wound 4th string, a virtually noise free highly polished 3rd and two trebles. A Medium Gauge set will have a wide range of applications, from 4-string guitars down to Baritone and Tenor Ukuleles.
$17.75 Out of Stock
http://www.southcoastukes.com/linear.htm

SoloRule
11-18-2015, 09:33 AM
I received the package last week and strung it on my tiny tenor. It's sound very very nice especially for my finger picking style.

macfish
11-18-2015, 10:00 AM
I'll volunteer to send a set of the ML-WB to whoever - Chuck, Hawaii50, someone who can provide far better insights than me. As mentioned previously, I don't consider myself an accomplished enough player yet to do a "review" or sound samples. I've gotten more than $20 of knowledge, advice, etc. from this forum, seems like it's the least I could do. Who wants to give them a workout?

DownUpDave
11-18-2015, 10:18 AM
I got lucky, ordered two sets on Sunday to be shipped to David Ingalls for my new 16" concert. With everybody saying they had ordered them I thought I might be a day late and a dollar short. I got notification that they shipped

Sometimes, somethings do work out ;)

Recstar24
11-19-2015, 06:55 PM
My sets came in today and I installed one of them on my Hoffmann ML tenor. Played a little bit but will break them in more tomorrow and make a recording.

First impressions - the transition between the 4 and 3 is seamless, the feel is virtually the same. The wounds are for all practically purposes noiseless when playing - What little finger noise is there is drowned out by your playing. The A string has excellent ring, and the whole set when strummed has a lot of volume and projection, with a nice guitar like jangle. Looking forward to playing more and I'll make a little recording too.

spookelele
11-20-2015, 07:34 AM
Since some people were wondering:
g=.72
c=.62
e=.68
a=.46

**Using a harbor freight digital caliper. Measurements taken out of the package.

Recstar24
11-20-2015, 08:47 AM
Here is a sound clip:

https://app.box.com/s/fm99bel4b9oi1hbrs0ulh333etodvuke

pritch
11-20-2015, 09:28 AM
Here is a sound clip:

Nice work. That would have sold me a couple of sets, shame they're out of stock:)

Osprey
11-20-2015, 11:27 AM
Recstar 24, those strings sound great on your ukulele.. Great playing as well.

flailingfingers
11-21-2015, 02:27 AM
Bumping this in hopes that we can have some more reviews. The first batch should be in player's hands now.

Recstar24
11-21-2015, 02:39 AM
Recstar 24, those strings sound great on your ukulele.. Great playing as well.

Thank you!

wickedwahine11
11-21-2015, 05:27 AM
Bumping this in hopes that we can have some more reviews. The first batch should be in player's hands now.

According to USPS mine are still in Louisiana. They were supposed to have been delivered on Thursday the 19th, but no tracking activity since 11/16. I will try them as soon as they arrive though.

good_uke_boy
11-21-2015, 05:31 AM
According to USPS mine are still in Louisiana. They were supposed to have been delivered on Thursday the 19th, but no tracking activity since 11/16. I will try them as soon as they arrive though.

Same here.

macfish
11-21-2015, 06:55 AM
New Orleans post office is notoriously bad. Mine were supposed to be Thursday, but did arrive Friday.
Took off Fremont blacklines with Soloist wound low G, put on the LML for now, to start with slightly lower tension according to their chart. I'm no expert. I do feel the LML's have a bit less tension overall than what I had on before. But they need to hold tune/settle in yet. Not absolutely squeakless, but darn good, the equal of the Fremont. Interestingly, the G is slightly thinner than the C to my eye. And the C is a silver color, the G more gold.
The ML wounds are each the same color.
Yep, I'm liking these. The G is no longer dominant, if anything the C is now it's equal, and the trebles sound very distinct, A rings out nicely. Gotta play for awhile, try the ML in a couple months. But I think the Living Water, PHd and Fremont low g sets are going to be in the case for some time. Only have one uke so can't A/B compare. But those who think Southcoast's extensive info is either confusing or sheer hokum, sorry. I do hear a difference and it's one I really like. But strings, ears, ukes, are all different, YMMV. Once I try the ML's, I'll be stocking up on my preference.

wickedwahine11
11-21-2015, 09:25 AM
New Orleans post office is notoriously bad. Mine were supposed to be Thursday, but did arrive Friday.
Took off Fremont blacklines with Soloist wound low G, put on the LML for now, to start with slightly lower tension according to their chart. I'm no expert. I do feel the LML's have a bit less tension overall than what I had on before. But they need to hold tune/settle in yet. Not absolutely squeakless, but darn good, the equal of the Fremont. Interestingly, the G is slightly thinner than the C to my eye. And the C is a silver color, the G more gold.
The ML wounds are each the same color.
Yep, I'm liking these. The G is no longer dominant, if anything the C is now it's equal, and the trebles sound very distinct, A rings out nicely. Gotta play for awhile, try the ML in a couple months. But I think the Living Water, PHd and Fremont low g sets are going to be in the case for some time. Only have one uke so can't A/B compare. But those who think Southcoast's extensive info is either confusing or sheer hokum, sorry. I do hear a difference and it's one I really like. But strings, ears, ukes, are all different, YMMV. Once I try the ML's, I'll be stocking up on my preference.

I have been a fan of their strings for a while, and they used to be my favorite set until I had bad experiences with some A strings that broke on me. How thin do these A strings seem to you? I'm contemplating keeping my Oasis A and E on and just using the C and G from this set when it arrives.

kvehe
11-21-2015, 02:05 PM
These may actually be my Holy Grail strings. Mine arrived on Thursday, and I just put them on my least-favorite tenor, a Kelii Gold Series. I love the feel, the tension, the sound....I'm going to stock up when they're available again. My SAS may be permanently cured, and the Kelii will no longer live in the back of the closet. :D

flailingfingers
11-23-2015, 08:32 AM
These may actually be my Holy Grail strings. Mine arrived on Thursday, and I just put them on my least-favorite tenor, a Kelii Gold Series. I love the feel, the tension, the sound....I'm going to stock up when they're available again. My SAS be permanently cured, and the Kelii will no longer live in the back of the closet. :D
+1- these are wonderful strings. I put them on my best uke, a Moore Bettah.

wickedwahine11
11-23-2015, 09:50 AM
These may actually be my Holy Grail strings. Mine arrived on Thursday, and I just put them on my least-favorite tenor, a Kelii Gold Series. I love the feel, the tension, the sound....I'm going to stock up when they're available again. My SAS may be permanently cured, and the Kelii will no longer live in the back of the closet. :D

+1- these are wonderful strings. I put them on my best uke, a Moore Bettah.

Oh, so jealous of you guys. I am dying to put them on my MB. Mine finally made it to the USPS sorting center Los Angeles yesterday after six days stuck in New Orleans. Hmm, I wouldn't mind being stuck in New Orleans for six days -- beignets, rum and lots of jazz. I digress. Hoping to get mine before Thanksgiving so I can try them out.

spookelele
11-23-2015, 10:23 AM
These may actually be my Holy Grail strings.

I dunno.. mine didn't have any christmas pictures on them.
I hear that's what the cup of christ is supposed to have on it.. lots and lots of christmas.

DownUpDave
11-23-2015, 12:53 PM
I dunno.. mine didn't have any christmas pictures on them.
I hear that's what the cup of christ is supposed to have on it.. lots and lots of christmas.

Dude you got that mistaken with the Starbucks cup. :smileybounce:

flailingfingers
11-23-2015, 01:48 PM
The ML-WB Holy Grail strings are back in stock--email from SouthCoast.

good_uke_boy
11-23-2015, 01:51 PM
Oh, so jealous of you guys. I am dying to put them on my MB. Mine finally made it to the USPS sorting center Los Angeles yesterday after six days stuck in New Orleans. Hmm, I wouldn't mind being stuck in New Orleans for six days -- beignets, rum and lots of jazz. I digress. Hoping to get mine before Thanksgiving so I can try them out.

Got mine today. Installed on 2 tenors. Initial impressions: excellent!

spookelele
11-23-2015, 01:56 PM
Dude you got that mistaken with the Starbucks cup. :smileybounce:

^^^ Holy Grail

wickedwahine11
11-23-2015, 03:51 PM
Got mine today. Installed on 2 tenors. Initial impressions: excellent!

Glad to hear it, they seem to be universally loved. Mine still have not arrived - hoping for tomorrow or Wednesday. If I knew for sure I would like them I would order some more since they are back in stock, but alas, at $18 a pop I want to try them first.

I certainly can't fault Dirk as he shipped them on the 16th, I just seem to have slower mail delivery. Anyone else still waiting for theirs?

Briangriffinukuleles
11-24-2015, 04:54 PM
Got my ML WB yesterday.They might be the holy grail. I strung up a new redwood/east indian tenor two weeks ago with med. gauge linear Smooth wounds, Lovely strings and the uke sounded great. This morning put on the MLWB. They are warmer, maybe not as loud, the wound basses are squeak fee and seem perfectly mated. The A has brilliant highs. Tension is excellent. The four string strum is balanced and melodic. I think Dirk might have hit the golden mean here. I think this uke is sounding even better. I have played them for maybe an hour and so far am very very pleased. I bought two more sets. Think I will put them on the ukes I am building now. I like them a lot.

My calipers read. String #1 .18 #2 .26 #3 ,24 #4 .28

wickedwahine11
11-24-2015, 06:44 PM
Mine arrived today (yay!) - I only played them for about ten minutes so I will give them a better test tomorrow. The G string reminds me a lot of the Fremont Soloist, very smooth and similar in feel. The C string seems less squeaky than the other Southcoast I have used, and I like it a lot. I am a little unsure about the A and E - will have to play some more - I think I prefer the Oasis for those two as I prefer the feel of the Oasis. But they are a nice set, a little pricy but might be worth it for the wound strings. Still, this is a really brief take and I will play some more tomorrow to make a more thorough trial.

flailingfingers
11-25-2015, 05:29 AM
Mine arrived today (yay!) - I only played them for about ten minutes so I will give them a better test tomorrow. The G string reminds me a lot of the Fremont Soloist, very smooth and similar in feel. The C string seems less squeaky than the other Southcoast I have used, and I like it a lot. I am a little unsure about the A and E - will have to play some more - I think I prefer the Oasis for those two as I prefer the feel of the Oasis. But they are a nice set, a little pricy but might be worth it for the wound strings. Still, this is a really brief take and I will play some more tomorrow to make a more thorough trial.
I replaced my Oasis and Fremont low G with these strings a couple of days ago. I am much preferring these Southcoast strings which really surprised me. I was very happy with the Oasis/Fremont set. On these Southcoast I like the feel and balance of the G and C and really like the feel and sound of the E and A, especially the A. These strings seem to be on another level. Different strokes.

Recstar24
11-25-2015, 07:32 AM
I replaced my Oasis and Fremont low G with these strings a couple of days ago. I am much preferring these Southcoast strings which really surprised me. I was very happy with the Oasis/Fremont set. On these Southcoast I like the feel and balance of the G and C and really like the feel and sound of the E and A, especially the A. These strings seem to be on another level. Different strokes.

Same here, your impressions are pretty consistent with my original ones. The oasis Fremont combo is great but this southcoast set just has that extra sparkle and ring. The wound 3rd is awesome and there is no squeak heard while playing.

wickedwahine11
11-25-2015, 09:04 AM

Oh don't get me wrong, I don't think there is anything wrong with them at all. They are quite good. I only played them for about ten minutes last night after stringing them up -- haven't played at all today since I'm hosting Thanksgiving tomorrow and I am up to my eyeballs in cleaning and cooking...probably shouldn't be on the forum right now but I stopped for a quick computer break. But yes, as you say different strokes for different folks. I'm glad I tried them -- and the C and G are great. And I could find they are superior to the A and E on Oasis...looking forward to more testing this weekend. I am glad you guys all really like them. I seem to be the only person not completely bowled over -- the difference seemed a bit minimal on my uke, and I just like the way the Oasis A string in particular feels. The G feels a lot like the Fremont Soloist to me (a good thing, not a bad one) and I was already using a Southcoast C string with my old set -- though this one does squeak a bit less and I like it better.

It could just be that I've had a couple bad Southcoast A strings in the past that snapped on me, so I am likely leaning Oasis for that A string, but yes, these are a very good set and seem immensely popular. :)

Recstar24
11-25-2015, 10:00 AM
So far my a string is fine, whereas an old southcoast a string from a HML set frayed on me, this one seems to be solid. past a strings if any issues popped up within a week, so far so good, but regardless dirk will be great about replacing if needed.

I find the wound 4th to be better sounding than the Fremont personally. The southcoast wound 4th has more sparkle and ring to it than the Fremont on my uke, the Fremont is squeakless and has very nice warm tone and sustain but the souhcoast wound has that little bit of jangle that I find pleasing to the mix.

Dan Uke
11-25-2015, 12:35 PM
need to try a set! a big fan of the HML-RW but I haven't played much these days and still have a few sets laying around. I personally like a little squeak but I was born in the year of the mouse :p

Sporin
12-01-2015, 11:07 AM
Just ordered my ML-WB's, looking forward to a string change. My old Worth browns are really sounding dull lately.

Steveperrywriter
12-08-2015, 02:56 PM
Moved from a set of the light mediums to the mediums on my redwood-topped Hannam. I like both, but the mediums have a bit more volume. I'll keep the lights on the others. It's all good ...

spookelele
12-08-2015, 03:48 PM
finally strung up the pono atsh with these, and really like them.
The A might be a little thin for my taste, but the set as a whole is very cohesive.
The wounds don't really stand out particularly and blend very nicely with the trebles.
On the ATSH, the 2 wound trebles drive the soundboard pretty decently.
I think it might be a good choice for people having trouble with projection with Ponos

The wounds oddly keep stretching for longer than I would have expected.

Sporin
12-09-2015, 10:26 AM
Just put mine on an hour ago so I'm still carefully bringing them up to tune.... so far I like what I'm hearing though. I play with a lot of guitar players and these definitely have more volume than the worn out Worth Browns had (loved those strings when newer though).

bearbike137
12-11-2015, 04:06 AM
Oh don't get me wrong, I don't think there is anything wrong with them at all. They are quite good. I only played them for about ten minutes last night after stringing them up -- haven't played at all today since I'm hosting Thanksgiving tomorrow and I am up to my eyeballs in cleaning and cooking...probably shouldn't be on the forum right now but I stopped for a quick computer break. But yes, as you say different strokes for different folks. I'm glad I tried them -- and the C and G are great. And I could find they are superior to the A and E on Oasis...looking forward to more testing this weekend. I am glad you guys all really like them. I seem to be the only person not completely bowled over -- the difference seemed a bit minimal on my uke, and I just like the way the Oasis A string in particular feels. The G feels a lot like the Fremont Soloist to me (a good thing, not a bad one) and I was already using a Southcoast C string with my old set -- though this one does squeak a bit less and I like it better.

It could just be that I've had a couple bad Southcoast A strings in the past that snapped on me, so I am likely leaning Oasis for that A string, but yes, these are a very good set and seem immensely popular. :)

I truly appreciate honest reviews, especially when they run against the grain. Too often, forum groups start to resemble a herd of sheep - rushing after whatever the high shepherds proclaim as the "best" or the new "must have." I much prefer a world where not everyone thinks the same builder or same strings or same tonewood or same player is almighty. That said, Hawaii Music Supply is the best, there is no disputing that... lol.

DownUpDave
12-11-2015, 05:07 AM
I truly appreciate honest reviews, especially when they run against the grain. Too often, forum groups start to resemble a herd of sheep - rushing after whatever the high shepherds proclaim as the "best" or the new "must have." I much prefer a world where not everyone thinks the same builder or same strings or same tonewood or same player is almighty. That said, Hawaii Music Supply is the best, there is no disputing that... lol.

Are you related to Justin J ;).

Sorry no offense to either of you that was just too good to pass up :shaka:

JustinJ
12-11-2015, 07:15 AM

What are you doing bringing me into this thread ;)? Don't you have another ukulele to buy right now?

You know, I just may get sensitive and join the herd and forgo my iconoclast ways.

I'm only teasing myself so don't take it the wrong way.

bearbike137
12-11-2015, 07:38 AM

I usually find that when I feel the need to begin a comment with "sorry, no offense" - I probably shouldn't make the comment...

Steveperrywriter
12-11-2015, 07:47 AM

Could be that folks are easily swayed by players or makers they admire. Could also be that they try something and like it for the reasons that others put forth -- it's a good product, does the job, is worth it to them.

If you prefer vanilla over chocolate, that doesn't mean either of them is better or worse, just more to your taste.

Because a lot of folks like a thing doesn't make it good or bad, of course, but it also doesn't make them sheep if they happen to come up with the same belief.

Not much chance of everybody here agreeing on much of anything, much less everything.

70sSanO
12-11-2015, 08:16 AM
If you prefer vanilla over chocolate, that doesn't mean either of them is better or worse, just more to your taste.

I like chocolate chip.

John

CTurner
12-11-2015, 08:27 AM
I have a question for those of you who have tried the new SC ML-WB string set.
What is your subjective sense of the tension (fretting force necessary)? What linear strings did you use before and how did their tension compare?

I'm currently using Oasis set but with Fremont soloist 4th string. That tension is good for me. But I'm a fan of SC and would enjoy hearing from anyone who could make comparisons.

spookelele
12-11-2015, 09:27 AM
What is your subjective sense of the tension (fretting force necessary)? What linear strings did you use before and how did their tension compare?

I'm currently using Oasis set but with Fremont soloist 4th string. That tension is good for me. But I'm a fan of SC and would enjoy hearing from anyone who could make comparisons.

Tension doesn't feel high to me. I use alot of oasis bright's and it's got a similar tension feel. At least not so different, that I every though.. huh.. is that gonna bend my neck. The wound's feel a little on the loose side to me compared to like... ko'olau wounds, or whatever the aquila wounds are.

They're very comfortable to play.

Recstar24
12-11-2015, 09:30 AM
Tension doesn't feel high to me. I use alot of oasis bright's and it's got a similar tension feel. At least not so different, that I every though.. huh.. is that gonna bend my neck. The wound's feel a little on the loose side to me compared to like... ko'olau wounds, or whatever the aquila wounds are.

They're very comfortable to play.

Same impressions for me. Pretty close to the oasis i had before. I would say less tension slightly so than worth clears. The uke I have them on is set with an action of 2.5 mm above the 12th fret, on my other uke that has very low action around 2mm I think I would prefer the feel of the HML-RW.

DownUpDave
12-11-2015, 09:54 AM
I usually find that when I feel the need to begin a comment with "sorry, no offense" - I probably shouldn't make the comment...

Justin J sent me a PM saying he found it funny and thanked me for giving hin a good laugh. He took it in the spirit it was given, It was a bit of an inside joke.

Steveperrywriter
12-11-2015, 10:07 AM

Had Oasis and a Fremont low-G on the Hannam, the medium SC's seem about the same, tension-wise. The Mediums feel a little stiffer to me than the light-mediums.

(The SC light-mediums on the Carruth feel stiffer than the Worth clears I had on it before, but are louder and don't have that honk on the G.)

Steveperrywriter
12-11-2015, 10:14 AM
I like chocolate chip.

John

Well, that's just looney tunes. The very idea!

blodzoom
12-11-2015, 11:09 AM
I have a question about string tension...

On the Southcoast site, they give the little chart to indicate approximate string tension for each set for a given size and tuning. Does the ukulele figure into that equation at all? I've seen it written a handful of times that a certain brand will have a higher string tension. I'm far from an expert, but that doesn't make a lot of sense to me. If you stretch a string 17" to get a specific vibrating frequency, it should be the same tension no matter what brand of ukulele it is, right?

70sSanO
12-12-2015, 05:00 AM
The quick and dirty answer is that it depends on string diameter of the fluorocarbon string. As an example if you take a C or E string and tune it to A the heavier strings would be so tight they would be unplayable.

Different mfg's use different diameters and different chemical compositions to arrive at each mfg's holy grail strings. Every mfg does make grail strings. The key is the instrument and for the grail strings, not "choosing poorly." Although in this case choosing poorly will only result in a poorer sounding ukulele.

Edit... In re-reading your post, I mis-understood. Yes the same string on the same length scale will result in the same tension. What you might be thinking of is compliance...

http://www.liutaiomottola.com/myth/perception.htm

John

Sporin
12-12-2015, 10:55 AM
Big thumbs up for the ML-WB's so far. Very balanced tone and lots of volume. A nice vibe off my solid spruce top.

Dan Uke
12-12-2015, 12:57 PM
Like John said above, diameter will affect the tension on the same uke. Also there's dift materials used so that comes into play as well.

Moore Bettah Ukuleles
12-12-2015, 01:52 PM
Big thumbs up for the ML-WB's so far. Very balanced tone and lots of volume. A nice vibe off my solid spruce top.

Any problems with the plain strings? The A in particular?

mds725
12-12-2015, 06:59 PM

I just ordered some. i'm curious to see how the Southcoast wound C compares to the first prototype Oasis wound C string, which sounds great to me so far with a Fremont Soloist Low G and Oasis Warm E and A strings.

Steveperrywriter
12-12-2015, 09:42 PM

Haven't noticed any problems yet, Chuck, but it's been only a few days. Generally seems to take my new strings a week or ten sessions worth of paying and retuning before they settle in. Seems like a long time. but it was that way with my classsical guitar strings, too.

Moore Bettah Ukuleles
12-13-2015, 04:05 PM
Haven't noticed any problems yet, Chuck, but it's been only a few days. Generally seems to take my new strings a week or ten sessions worth of paying and retuning before they settle in. Seems like a long time. but it was that way with my classsical guitar strings, too.

That A string is still way too thin for what I expect and like to hear.

hawaii 50
12-13-2015, 08:27 PM
That A string is still way too thin for what I expect and like to hear.

Hey Chuck Corey told me to try a D'Addario Pro Arte' classical A string...it is 0.51mm fluorocarbon string..i am going to use the E string too...0.69mm and see how it sounds...btw I do not work for D;Addario....:)

I like the Oasis wound C string...but still like the Southcoast C from the HML-RW set too......

not endorsing any string company..just trying to get a nice set for myself.....:)

Moore Bettah Ukuleles
12-13-2015, 08:36 PM
Hey Chuck Corey told me to try a D'Addario Pro Arte' classical A string...it is 0.51mm fluorocarbon string..i am going to use the E string too...0.69mm and see how it sounds...btw I do not work for D;Addario....:)

I like the Oasis wound C string...but still like the Southcoast C from the HML-RW set too......

not endorsing any string company..just trying to get a nice set for myself.....:)

I'm. It a fan if the Pro Artes. They sound a bit restrained to me on a koa uke. I've been very happy with the Oasis E and A strings. I'll stick with those for now.

hawaii 50
12-13-2015, 09:13 PM
I'm. It a fan if the Pro Artes. They sound a bit restrained to me on a koa uke. I've been very happy with the Oasis E and A strings. I'll stick with those for now.

going to try the Pro Arte' on my Rollo....with a Adi spruce top...if I don't like them I will go back to the Oasis E and A too

DownUpDave
12-14-2015, 12:18 AM
Chuck and I have had a conversation about mixing up string sets. On my LdfM I start out with the HML-RW then I replace the G string with a Fremont soloist, then I replace the E string with an Oasis warm E string. So I have three different makes of strings on one uke. Crazy but I love the sound.

The SC E string has always sound dull and flat to me on 4 different ukes and on the LfdM the Fremont low G string sounds better, on other ukes I will keep the SC wound G on. But you are right Len regarding the SC wound C string, the very best out there and I wish he still sold them seperately.

macfish
12-14-2015, 12:27 AM
Ok I feel better. I tried the LML WB for a bit and now the ML WB. I thought the A from the first set was better than the second. Thought it rang out better. So I considered going back to just that A. Then I thought you know what the Fremont Soloist might still have the edge for G. And I still have never tried Living Water. This could get expensive! For now I'm staying with the ML. Might experiment with the A though. Geez.

Sporin
12-14-2015, 04:13 AM

None that I've seen yet.

70sSanO
12-14-2015, 04:35 AM
Since some people were wondering:
g=.72
c=.62
e=.68
a=.46

**Using a harbor freight digital caliper. Measurements taken out of the package.

Got my ML WB yesterday.

My calipers read. String #1 .18 #2 .26 #3 ,24 #4 .28

When you are stringing a tenor with certain diameters of non-wound strings, it is pretty easy to figure out that a .018" diameter string is going to be pretty thin. Martin M620 A string is .0216 (.55mm) and Worth CT Standard Tenor A string is .224 (.57mm). Different chemical compositions can only take you so far to make up the difference over the mass of a string. It is the same for steel guitar strings, no matter what voodoo a mfg does, a .009 string will never be as rich as a .011. Which is why you'll never see guitar strings without diameters on the packages. No one would buy them.

John

spookelele
12-14-2015, 04:37 AM

The A does sound a little quiet to my ear.
It seems to not be as loud when I carry the melody on it.
But.. I guess that's comparative rather than inherent.

The set as a whole though seems remarkably balanced across the strings... so I'm not sure it's right to call it a quiet A unless you want to consider the whole set as quiet.. which I don't think is accurate either. The wound basses are not punchy, but mellow, and the trebles continue that theme. I don't mean to say they're quiet either.. They're just not.. in your face.

wickedwahine11
12-14-2015, 06:12 AM
Chuck and I have had a conversation about mixing up string sets. On my LdfM I start out with the HML-RW then I replace the G string with a Fremont soloist, then I replace the E string with an Oasis warm E string. So I have three different makes of strings on one uke. Crazy but I love the sound.

The SC E string has always sound dull and flat to me on 4 different ukes and on the LfdM the Fremont low G string sounds better, on other ukes I will keep the SC wound G on. But you are right Len regarding the SC wound C string, the very best out there and I wish he still sold them seperately.

Ditto. I finally (after seven years of trying) found my perfect string combos that I really like - and it involves that HML-RW C string. Unfortunately, as you say, you can't get them individually. I tried to even order a few sets from Southcoast or HMS of the whole package, figured I would just suck up the cost and toss the other three strings, and they are sold out of the set on both sites. I'm hoping they are not discontinued.

70sSanO
12-14-2015, 06:24 AM
Ditto. I finally (after seven years of trying) found my perfect string combos that I really like - and it involves that HML-RW C string. Unfortunately, as you say, you can't get them individually. I tried to even order a few sets from Southcoast or HMS of the whole package, figured I would just suck up the cost and toss the other three strings, and they are sold out of the set on both sites. I'm hoping they are not discontinued.

My string chasing began in 2007 and I have gone the same route as ww11.

Which kind of brings me back to where I first started posting on this thread. I have purchased single Worth Brown Strong C strings directly from Worth in Japan because I use that string on one of my ukuleles. I see no reason why Southcoast can't offer a set based on this G, that C, this E, and that A. Or even individual strings such as 2 different E string and 4 different A string sizes. Sometimes it is that elusive string that drives us to become Goldilocks. But when you find the right combination it is tough to pry those strings off the ukulele. If I were making strings, I'd want to get mine on as many ukes as possible without an "almost there" feeling from the user.

John

spookelele
12-14-2015, 08:10 AM
Well.. I don't think south coast is a large outfit.

Say you liked the C out of this set, and wanted to use the freemont low g and then like.. worth trebles.

If they open a pack of these, and then sell you the C out of it.. what do they do with the g,e, and a?

Not alot of people buy singles, so they probably need to plan for sets. Any string not sold is a loss for them.

70sSanO
12-14-2015, 08:37 AM
Well.. I don't think south coast is a large outfit.

Say you liked the C out of this set, and wanted to use the freemont low g and then like.. worth trebles.

If they open a pack of these, and then sell you the C out of it.. what do they do with the g,e, and a?

Not alot of people buy singles, so they probably need to plan for sets. Any string not sold is a loss for them.

I don't know how Southcoast orders their strings, but I would imagine that strings are manufactured in bulk and some strings are used in multiple sets. I'm guessing certain chemical formulas are most likely run in batches and then extruded through dies to produce the strings so if a certain string size needed 5,000 ft and another size 10,000 ft, it would be a matter of demand. This is predicated on some tangible difference between ukulele strings and fishing line.

How they are cut for what application (scale length) and who does the packaging probably varies depending on how small/large the operation? I may be completely wrong, but I doubt strings are thrown out; unless there really isn't any demand for them. Fremont sells individual wound strings and that seems to work well for them.

I still think it is a valid option. As I said, if it were me, I'd rather have that in my hip pocket over the black friday type of frenzy and then a mass exodus.

John

spookelele
12-14-2015, 08:54 AM
I don't know how Southcoast orders their strings

http://www.southcoastukes.com/tieon.htm

70sSanO
12-14-2015, 09:19 AM
http://www.southcoastukes.com/tieon.htm

Thanks!

They do the final processing of their wound strings in-house. I don't think anyone has a problem with their wound stings.

John

Ukulele Eddie
12-14-2015, 09:14 PM
The A does sound a little quiet to my ear.
It seems to not be as loud when I carry the melody on it.
But.. I guess that's comparative rather than inherent.

I got the new LL-WB (light, linear with wound 4th) and I really, really like the G, C and E strings but do not care for the A string. It definitely pales to the rest of the set and to most other A's I've tried. I dumped it and put a Worth Clear on as the A for now. Look forward to testing it more tomorrow.