PDA

View Full Version : Amateur hour

DazW
11-15-2015, 11:15 AM
Just a little thread to give you experienced builders a laugh. After weeks of having no spare time I finally started work on my first build, a cigar box sopranino. Feel like I've learned a thousand lessons today after experiencing hand sawing mahogany for the first time for my neck, gluing up blocks for the heel and sawing/gluing the scarf joint. Everything was sliding away when clamped, glue going everywhere and many more calamities! Anyway, at the end of the day I've got the neck glued up and will start cutting/shaping soon.

Also made a start making the sound hole using the old 'drill around the perimiter and sand' method. It ain't round yet but it's getting there, I kind of like it looking rough and may keep it that way, maybe adding a little design around the hole to make it look like its meant to be rustic. I believe the cigar box is all cedar so I'm hoping it will turn out ok.

Will post updates if anyone's interested, without the luthiers lounge on UU I'd have never considered trying to build so cheers guys for inspiring me to take up such a fantastic, stressful, rewarding, frustrating, awesome hobby! :D

RPA_Ukuleles
11-15-2015, 03:30 PM
Well it is a long haul, but it's worth the trip!

Vespa Bob
11-15-2015, 04:03 PM
Been there, done that! Stay with it and you will be rewarded with the most challenging, but satisfying hobby/craft there is! There's a lot of help out there if you search for it, but here's a good place to start.

Bob

Lapsteel
11-15-2015, 05:04 PM
Try this for a scarf joint:

Kevs-the-name
11-16-2015, 03:22 AM
Good job Daz
It is you I partly blame for getting me into building!
but as said already, extremely rewarding, annoying, fun, and frustrating.

things improve on a task by task basis. certainly learn by mistakes and trial ’n error.
there is SO MUCH help and advice on UU (make sure you use the search facilities and read some of the older posts)

carry on enjoying yourself!

Lapsteel
11-16-2015, 04:53 PM
Sprinkle a tiny amount of salt on the glue before you stick two pieces together. The salt acts as grit to kept the pieces from sliding apart.

orangeena
11-16-2015, 08:26 PM
I might try this. Does the salt dissolve or become squashed into the neck timber?
Max

DazW
11-16-2015, 10:14 PM
Thanks for the comments and advice guys. Had a trial run at fretting last night and it went pretty well. A sopranino size may not have been the easiest choice for my first build but this box is fairly small and I think the short scale will fit it well. Cheers

Lapsteel
11-17-2015, 12:15 PM
Both
No worry, I have done this a lot on other projects. Don't overdo the salt.

ulmis
11-18-2015, 06:26 PM
Here is my scarf joint clamping, looks simpler to me. No salt.85524

Titchtheclown
11-20-2015, 10:14 AM
I just staple the splice join together and clamp. Pull the staples out when the glue is dry and cover with a face plate.
I use a clamp sideways to hold the pieces in alignment while I put in two staples.