PDA

View Full Version : Ziricote

Ukulelerick9255
11-15-2015, 02:35 PM
Can some of you luthiers give me some opinions on Ziricote and what it's tonal properties are. I'm having a tenor built with Ziricote and figured redwood for the top.

sequoia
11-15-2015, 04:38 PM
A beautiful wood. A lovely wood. However it can be $$$ and I've never found a piece I could afford so have no opinion on its workability/finishing characteristics. As to tone, don't worry, it is a good solid, dense wood and will sound just fine since back and sides contribute little to the tone of an uke IMHO. It is the redwood top that is really driving the tone. It is going to make one lovely uke. Oh, and it is not a CITES wood so no restrictions. I'm told that it is going to become more available and the price is going to come down to reasonable levels. I can only hope.

Beau Hannam Ukuleles
11-16-2015, 03:22 AM
...(the) back and sides contribute little to the tone of a uke IMHO. .

Yes indeed

Ukulelerick9255
11-16-2015, 08:59 AM
That's my builder chiming in, thanks Beau lol

Allen
11-16-2015, 09:12 AM
I can't tell you how many times I've tried to convey to clients that the back and sides do virtually nothing to the tone of the instrument. But people believe what they want to believe.

little timber
11-16-2015, 09:43 AM
I just built a baritone with it and it finished very nicely but was persnickety to bend.