PDA

View Full Version : Vintage Martin Sopranos: Let the journey begin ... and the questions/analysis

sam13
11-17-2015, 04:13 AM
Hi All,

DownUpDave and I are checking out some Vintage Martin Sopranos and it is my first foray into them ...

CoolKayaker1 has been generous with offering details, thanks Steve, however I was wondering what the rest of you Vintage Martin users have to say.

Beyond the scratches, dings, cracks etc. do you have any advice? Is there anything beyond playing them and having a good thorough inspection I should be aware of?

What strings do you use on them? I am looking for warmth with brightness, and bark (volume) as well as.

I know the Style 0's are most common, and as they progress up in numbers they are more rare and costly which includes the Concerts.

Thanks for your input,

Mahalo.

RichM
11-17-2015, 04:20 AM
While I have little in the way of expertise, I have played a lot of vintage Martins, and I would offer the following two opinions:

1. They're amazingly consistent. I don't think I ever played one that didn't sound good.
2. I've seen little evidence that the higher-trim models sound any better than the basic models.

So my conclusion is that, if tone is the goal, go for a Style 0-- they are easy to find and quite reasonable in price. I have a 1930 Style 0 I bought from Bernunzio a few years back, and it continues to delight.

If you haven't already purchased the Walsh & King Martin book, do so immediately! Not only is it a wonderful read, it details all the changes to the Martin line over the years, and makes it pretty easy to date a uke. In fact, just click here. (http://www.amazon.com/Martin-Ukulele-Little-Instrument-Helped/dp/1476868794/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1447773579&sr=1-1&keywords=martin+ukulele&pebp=1447773583582&perid=01K3ZEHBTV3N0HKCV6WV)

ukuleleden
11-17-2015, 05:29 AM
While I have little in the way of expertise, I have played a lot of vintage Martins, and I would offer the following two opinions:

1. They're amazingly consistent. I don't think I ever played one that didn't sound good.
2. I've seen little evidence that the higher-trim models sound any better than the basic models.

So my conclusion is that, if tone is the goal, go for a Style 0-- they are easy to find and quite reasonable in price. I have a 1930 Style 0 I bought from Bernunzio a few years back, and it continues to delight.

If you haven't already purchased the Walsh & King Martin book, do so immediately! Not only is it a wonderful read, it details all the changes to the Martin line over the years, and makes it pretty easy to date a uke. In fact, just click here. (http://www.amazon.com/Martin-Ukulele-Little-Instrument-Helped/dp/1476868794/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1447773579&sr=1-1&keywords=martin+ukulele&pebp=1447773583582&perid=01K3ZEHBTV3N0HKCV6WV)

Yes, yes, yes and yes to what Rich says above!

I'll add that just be patient as some of the "boutique" and private sellers set prices that make them less appealing when taking a more broader view of the overall ukulele market and what similar $$ can buy you...

DownUpDave
11-17-2015, 05:49 AM
Yup........Simon is dragging me kicking and screaming into the world of vintage sopranos. But he did that to me with Pono and LfdM, both wonderful discoveries. I have influenced him towards super sopranos with my Loprinzi and conveting a mahogany tenor with exposure to my Collings UT2.

Its like two drunks leading each other to the nearest bar :cheers:

sam13
11-17-2015, 06:07 AM
Yup........Simon is dragging me kicking and screaming into the world of vintage sopranos. But he did that to me with Pono and LfdM, both wonderful discoveries. I have influenced him towards conveting a mahogany tenor with exposure to my Collings UT2.

Nothing better than Wine, women and Ukes ... lol.

We both are great enablers ... trying to get him to buy a few more Ukes by year end! :cool:

coolkayaker1
11-17-2015, 06:33 AM
Agree with every word of what RichM and Ukuleleden have written below. Every syllable.

Many use Fremont Blacklines or Aquilas (if the nut slots on your particular model are wide enough--some are not). I think bearded Jano has the former, and Krouk has the latter in this awesome video. I can envision you singing this exact jazzy and sultry song, Simon. With DUD on accompanying uke!

http://youtu.be/d6BN_OZPI7M

coolkayaker1
11-17-2015, 06:36 AM
http://youtu.be/6LQs5doFv70

This will really whet your whistle, gentlemen. And, just maybe, you Canadian ukuleleists can even understand what Philipe Krouk is saying (something about trading a bagel for one of his Martins, I think)

Patrick Madsen
11-17-2015, 08:50 AM
If you want bark, don't forget Favillas! Good luck on your hunt guys.

dsummers
11-17-2015, 10:35 AM
I have vintage Martins- 1960's Baritone, 1950's Tenor, Concert, and S0. I can't believe the excellent condition they are all in. My S0 looks almost new condition, has the Klusen tuners, original canvas case and I have it strung with Freemont Blackline strings. It is an excellent sounding uke!

billten
11-17-2015, 10:56 AM
Interesting thread guys, I'd also love to hear how the vintage ukes you find compare to a more modern instrument like a Kiwaya KTS4 for example. Looking forward to the updates in your UAS journey :)

DownUpDave
11-17-2015, 11:56 AM
Interesting thread guys, I'd also love to hear how the vintage ukes you find compare to a more modern instrument like a Kiwaya KTS4 for example. Looking forward to the updates in your UAS journey :)

Hey Bill, Simon will bring along his Keli'i for comparison amd I will bring along my Loprinzi. Those are both super sopranos but that is the smallest size we own. I am just really going as a wingman, Simon is hot for a vintage Martin.:-)But you never know. I will keep you posted.

CdnSouthpaw
11-17-2015, 12:34 PM
I've been making an effort to play my soprano more lately so it's nice to see this thread.

I picked up a terrific S0 (40's-50's) from a UU member last year, all original, no cracks, barely a nick, with the original canvas bag in great condition as well for $500. I think they're bargains, great company, old wood etc...

I agree that they are quite consistent.

hmgberg
11-17-2015, 12:55 PM
I am in accord with what has been said here about vintage Martin sopranos: consistently great tone and playability. Through the years, they got a little heavier, probably in response to customer complaints about cracking and other issues relate to light builds. I am particularly fond of those from the 1920's. I think there is a difference in tone between the ones with 12 fret boards (0, 1, 2) and those with extended boards (3 & 5), with the former being a bit spunkier. I like Fremont Blacklines on mine.

specialk13
11-17-2015, 01:00 PM
In comparison to vintage Martin sopranos, I find newer Martin style sopranos to sound nice but they almost always lack the openness and vibe of the vintage ones. There's just no replacing the aging process, it's that little something special the vintage Martins seem to posses. I completely support the hunt for a nice vintage Martin soprano!

NewKid
11-17-2015, 03:03 PM
It took me almost three years to find the vintage Martin for me. I played a great Style 1 at Music Folk in St. Louis in 2012 and didn't understand what I had in my hands. It was so loud and the tone was so rich. It took until this past January 2015 in Tiburon, CA at Schoenberg's Guitars to find another one like the one in St. Louis. My Martin soprano is a Style 2 from the 1920s and it has a one inch repaired crack on the top. It's got the mojo! In between those years I tried about a dozen other vintage Martin sopranos and none of them spoke to me.

I also had a 2012 new Martin 2K that was nice but not vintage. I believe it's now in Coolkayaker's Martin collection.

I'm very happy with my 1920s Style2 as its a nice change once in a while from my tenor ukuleles. I have no need for another soprano now.

brimmer
11-17-2015, 03:15 PM
Enjoy your journey...old Martins are great ukes. Most of the ukes they made were sopranos, so there is usually a good inventory to choose from. Concert sized Martins are less frequently encountered, particularly those built before the 50s. I agree with the Walsh & King book suggestion - think of it as an owners manual. The usual trade offs are build year, condition (especially cracks but also cosmetics), and model (0 - 3, 5, plus K). A Style 0 with repaired cracks from the 50s can be had for a few hundred, and could serve as a great player. You have to decide what you are willing to sacrifice to get one in your price range. Unless you happen to have unlimited money, in which case you can go right for the holy grail.

For inventory, check out Bernuzio, Elderly, and Retrofret. I have bought from the first 2 and they are great about returns. I haven't bought from Retrofret but they have a bunch of vintage sopranos in stock. The next time I go to Brooklyn, I plan to visit and they may have one less hanging on the wall.

Personally, I like Style 1's. I have a nice Style 1 from the mid-40s, and a Style 2 from before 1920, with bar frets and wooden tuners. My Style 1 is my favorite soprano for everyday use. Have fun!

PhilUSAFRet
11-17-2015, 03:16 PM
I have a pre-war O with Aquilas on it. Sounds bright, woody, and LOUD, without being brash. From the feedback I've read, Aquilas work great on some, not so great on others....kind'a like any other uke.

Ukulele Eddie
11-17-2015, 03:25 PM
Yup........Simon is dragging me kicking and screaming into the world of vintage sopranos. But he did that to me with Pono and LfdM, both wonderful discoveries. I have influenced him towards super sopranos with my Loprinzi and conveting a mahogany tenor with exposure to my Collings UT2.

What a minute, is this the same Simon who insists sopranos are too small? I'm confused. ;-)

Just kidding. It's always fun to experiment and look forward to sharing in your adventure, virtually!

UkieOkie
11-17-2015, 03:40 PM
There is a shop here that the owner has several not for sale behind the counter. He breaks them out and will even let you play them. They sound shockingling good for their age and condition. Great thread.

earljam
11-17-2015, 04:13 PM
I have a pre-war O with Aquilas on it. Sounds bright, woody, and LOUD, without being brash. From the feedback I've read, Aquilas work great on some, not so great on others....kind'a like any other uke.

Aquila sounds great on my mid-50s style 0. As others have said they are very consistent and a must have for any uke collection worthy of the name. The ones with wooden pegs sound the best.

ukuleleden
11-17-2015, 10:17 PM
Hey Bill, Simon will bring along his Keli'i for comparison amd I will bring along my Loprinzi. Those are both super sopranos but that is the smallest size we own. I am just really going as a wingman, Simon is hot for a vintage Martin.:-)But you never know. I will keep you posted.

The Martin S1 and Brükos are serving my Soprano needs until the Martin 3-Series Cherry arrives. Though I don't plan on getting rid of the S1 or Brükos...

DownUpDave
11-17-2015, 10:51 PM
My LoPrinzi Model A Cherry soprano arrived yesterday, and with the superb build, sweet & balanced tone and wonderful projection, it is hands down the best and now my favorite soprano ukelele of all-time...

I got my Loprinzi model A mahogany super soprano in Aug 2014. Simon came over to play it and was smitten by the sound, it is a cannon. This sent him down the road for his own mahogany super soprano and now he wants a vintage Martin. This road will never end :p.

I have been reading your posts with interest..........you've gone on quite the Loprinzi binge, nice.

ukuleleden
11-17-2015, 11:14 PM
I got my Loprinzi model A mahogany super soprano in Aug 2014. Simon came over to play it and was smitten by the sound, it is a cannon. This sent him down the road for his own mahogany super soprano and now he wants a vintage Martin. This road will never end :p.

I have been reading your posts with interest..........you've gone on quite the Loprinzi binge, nice.

Yes, I had my first taste of a LoPrinzi over the summer and have had my eye out for the Cherry model A in both a soprano and concert scales. The rapid manner in which I was able to acquire them was a dizzying experience. And the Custom Nova model that Mike @ UkeRepublic offered me was an opportunity I couldn't let pass me by...

Pukulele Pete
11-18-2015, 03:30 AM
I'd suggest looking for a vintage Martin soprano with a vintage Harptone or Geib case. Like this one. I love these old cases. It's the cherry on top.

UkerDanno
11-18-2015, 03:46 AM
My style 0 is probably the easiest playing instrument I have. I've determined it to be a 1934 and it has a few repaired cracks on the back and the finish is a little rough, but it sounds amazing with Martin strings...I've never tried anything else and see no reason to, I feel like they were made for each other.

sam13
11-18-2015, 08:45 AM
Agree with every word of what RichM and Ukuleleden have written below. Every syllable.

Many use Fremont Blacklines or Aquilas (if the nut slots on your particular model are wide enough--some are not). I think bearded Jano has the former, and Krouk has the latter in this awesome video. I can envision you singing this exact jazzy and sultry song, Simon. With DUD on accompanying uke!

Hey Steve,

Thanks for the video ... great stuff ... yes, for sure I will be looking to sing along with the Martin that is looking to find its way into my arms!

Oh, and the second video ... is it because we are Canadian that you think je peut le comprendre? Pas de tout de mes Compaignions parle la belle langue ... Dave ne peut pas le dire ...

Merci pour les videos.

sam13
11-18-2015, 08:47 AM
Thanks everyone for your comments and thoughtful information on the Martin Vintage Ukes ... its kind of fun searching for that Uke that will fall into your arms and feel like you should have always had it.

Thinking of a Style 0 1920's with peg tuners, and perhaps something in the 1930's Style 0 or 1 ... for starters.

sam13
11-18-2015, 01:20 PM
You're naughty, S. Pure naughty. :rolleyes: Naughty incarnate.

Ha ... I thought you would enjoy it ... and yes, I will take song requests ... so send me a few ... to be performed on the soon to be Vintage Martin Ukulele.

Tim Mullins
11-18-2015, 01:51 PM
My vintage Style 1 is the best soprano I have played. I went through at least half-dozen vintage Martins sopranos (among others) to find it. My experience is that they are generally very good and pretty consistent. I personally like the sound of the mahogany ones better than that of the koa ones.

spongeuke
11-18-2015, 03:52 PM
I have these WWII Vintage Martins, I am to. I tried to thin the herd last year. Not a lot of interest, so seeing this I bumped the Martin 3Ms up on the Marketplace. Also have a 1 and 2 both prewar.
Good time to acquire vintage stuff as the prices are about half what they were 10 years ago.
I use Aquila, Worth Brown M and Fremont clear. Of them I think Worth Brown are my favorite. Don't do much picking but like to use various strumming patterns so the Martins are perfect for this. Look at Cliff Edwards on Utube, What Fun.

sam13
12-18-2015, 04:47 AM
An Update:

UAS has been raging and with all of the awesome Ukes on UU I felt like a mosquito at the Nudist Beach! I mean, where do you begin when it all looks great!

On the vintage front, I just received from Amazon The Martin Ukulele: The Little Instrument that Helped Create a Guitar Giant ... What an awesome book .... its gonna be hard to focus on work today!

I will see the vintage Uke dealer within the week.

DownUpDave
12-18-2015, 09:55 AM
An Update:

UAS has been raging and with all of the awesome Ukes on UU I felt like a mosquito at the Nudist Beach! I mean, where do you begin when it all looks great!

On the vintage front, I just received from Amazon The Martin Ukulele: The Little Instrument that Helped Create a Guitar Giant ... What an awesome book .... its gonna be hard to focus on work today!

I will see the vintage Uke dealer within the week.

I am sensing a "vintage Ukemas" gift........from Simon to Simon :cool:

ukuleleden
12-20-2015, 07:20 AM
The last few months have been just a bit tumultuous to several of my previously mentioned ukulele endeavors as they had not worked out for one reason or another. But those disappointments have followed with some nice suprises. So it seems to hold true that some things did indeed happen for a reason. This is where I get back on thread topic with a Vintage Martin addition. Yesterday, I purchased a 1960's Style O that shows in magnificent original condition. I am hoping for its arrival by the end of this week. So by it's expected arrival time, it will be considered a Christmas present.

So thanks (I think :p ) to all of you who have posted up your Vintage Martin Ukes, stories, and your treks to buy one. It has certainly re-fanned the flames to for me to get back on track of my own Martin UAS.

sam13
12-20-2015, 04:31 PM
The last few months have been just a bit tumultuous to several of my previously mentioned ukulele endeavors as they had not worked out for one reason or another. But those disappointments have followed with some nice suprises. So it seems to hold true that some things did indeed happen for a reason. This is where I get back on thread topic with a Vintage Martin addition. Yesterday, I purchased a 1960's Style O that shows in magnificent original condition. I am hoping for its arrival by the end of this week. So by it's expected arrival time, it will be considered a Christmas present.

So thanks (I think :p ) to all of you who have posted up your Vintage Martin Ukes, stories, and your treks to buy one. It has certainly re-fanned the flames to for me to get back on track of my own Martin UAS.

Hey. That is great. I hope you have it by Christmas as well.

Post a NUD. I would enjoy reading about your experience. Cheers.

jgarber
12-21-2015, 03:45 PM
I have a few Martin sopranos, but had a few more when I took this family portrait prob 15 years ago.

(left to right): Style 0 (prob 1950s); style 1M; style 2M (early with violin pegs); style 2K; style 3K; style 5K; and 1928 T-18 tiple.

I still have the 0, 2M, 3K, 5K and tiple.

ukuleleden
12-21-2015, 08:00 PM
Hey. That is great. I hope you have it by Christmas as well.

Post a NUD. I would enjoy reading about your experience. Cheers.

Well, got the tracking today and it's estimated for 12/26-30 the day/week after Christmas. That's fine with me as long as it arrives safely.

I have a few Martin sopranos, but had a few more when I took this family portrait prob 15 years ago.

(left to right): Style 0 (prob 1950s); style 1M; style 2M (early with violin pegs); style 2K; style 3K; style 5K; and 1928 T-18 tiple.

I still have the 0, 2M, 3K, 5K and tiple.

Jim, That's are wonderful looking Martin family photo! That's a collection to enjoy and be proud of!

mm stan
12-21-2015, 10:32 PM
No forget the gibsons.. bit more pricey though

earljam
12-22-2015, 03:54 AM

Guy on the right was in the 5th Division judging by the diamond on the left sleeve

tbeltrans
12-22-2015, 10:51 AM
One thing I noticed right away when comparing a current model Martin 2K with my 1925 Martin 2K side by side, is that mine seems to be quite a bit lighter weight than the current models Martin has been making. That could possibly contribute to the difference in sound, though I would think a lot of it has to do with the age difference.

I have noticed similar weight differences with vintage guitars too. A Gibson ES-175 archtop from the 1950s is quite a bit lighter built than more recent models. I have also noticed that with pre-war Martin guitars compared to current similar models. I don't know what accounts for the changes in build, though I suspect it may have to do with an attempt to decrease warranty issues. However, my 1925 2K ukulele doesn't have any cracks or other damage, so the lighter builds can survive if cared for properly.

Tony

Django
01-01-2016, 02:55 PM
I had a friend who always said, "perception is reality". I think that this can apply well to instruments. There have been blind tests done with fine violins and it turned out that the old instruments did not come out on top. But there is something to be said for possessing an instrument with a past and that was made with skill rather than precision. I love the older instruments for many reasons, but when I sit and play, I am in the moment and the instrument has to reveal itself as it is now. I have had early Gibson Mandolins, a 1916 Gibson L-1 Guitar and fine Banjos from the late 19th century, but my favorite instrument was my Martin 000-18V for it's playability and tone. It was forgiving and expressive and I smiled as I played. I guess that my point is that you should play what you like, and if being vintage is part of that equation, or if you think that it is a good investment, then the vintage instrument is the right choice. It is an instrument and a personal possession, so it should appeal to as many senses as possible. If you don't love it, it will probably show in the music that you make with it.

Only one of my Ukuleles is a vintage Martin. It has a special place and it is nice to think about where and when it was made. I am aware that my opinion is in the minority and may get a few disputing responses, but I have to say that I love the sound and playability of the newer Nazareth Martins, Kiwayas and Laughlins. I have had to experiment with the strings and set-up, but they have the tone and playability that I was looking for without the high price that goes with vintage. The downside is that they don't have the resale value or the history, but I don't think about that when I am playing them.

sam13
01-01-2016, 03:28 PM
Well, got the tracking today and it's estimated for 12/26-30 the day/week after Christmas. That's fine with me as long as it arrives safely.

Jim, That's are wonderful looking Martin family photo! That's a collection to enjoy and be proud of!

Happy Ndw Year!

How is the vintage Martin? I just found this thread and see you should have it by now.

rpfrogner
01-01-2016, 03:53 PM
No disputing response from me.....only praise for your being open to vintage as well as the newer uke builds. I am pretty much a vintage Martin person, but I have owned and played many other brands of new and vintage ukuleles. It just happens that vintage Martins speak to me the most. I also continue to experiment with strings, and have been looking at (gulp) possibly the purchase of a "new" Martin ukulele.......I think maybe an OXK.
I had a friend who always said, "perception is reality". I think that this can apply well to instruments. There have been blind tests done with fine violins and it turned out that the old instruments did not come out on top. But there is something to be said for possessing an instrument with a past and that was made with skill rather than precision. I love the older instruments for many reasons, but when I sit and play, I am in the moment and the instrument has to reveal itself as it is now. I have had early Gibson Mandolins, a 1916 Gibson L-1 Guitar and fine Banjos from the late 19th century, but my favorite instrument was my Martin 000-18V for it's playability and tone. It was forgiving and expressive and I smiled as I played. I guess that my point is that you should play what you like, and if being vintage is part of that equation, or if you think that it is a good investment, then the vintage instrument is the right choice. It is an instrument and a personal possession, so it should appeal to as many senses as possible. If you don't love it, it will probably show in the music that you make with it.

Only one of my Ukuleles is a vintage Martin. It has a special place and it is nice to think about where and when it was made. I am aware that my opinion is in the minority and may get a few disputing responses, but I have to say that I love the sound and playability of the newer Nazareth Martins, Kiwayas and Laughlins. I have had to experiment with the strings and set-up, but they have the tone and playability that I was looking for without the high price that goes with vintage. The downside is that they don't have the resale value or the history, but I don't think about that when I am playing them.

Django
01-01-2016, 04:04 PM
I carry a Martin OXK to Europe with me, (twice a year on business). I thought that I would hate it, but it is great for travel and it hangs on the wall when I am home so that I can just grab it any time. It is fun, very playable and has good tone.

coolkayaker1
01-01-2016, 06:26 PM
It just happens that vintage Martins speak to me the most. I also continue to experiment with strings, and have been looking at (gulp) possibly the purchase of a "new" Martin ukulele.......I think maybe an OXK.

Brother Rick, it's weird: we think alike. I, too, was considering an OXK Martin so that I might bash it around at the park and also self-install a pickup in it. I wanted to post this review, maybe you have seen it, from respected UUer Tim when they first came out in 2010--he got, like, the first one! Like you and I and the general (but not unanimous) consensus, Tim favors the vintage Martins over the newer models, which, if nothing else, are grossly overpriced. Tim has played lots and lots of ukes--many trips to NAMM, etc. I respect his notions. Anyhow, he liked the OXK!!! BTW, the OXK is $207 on Amazon now in case you have Prime or get 3% money back with an Amazon credit card; I do on both counts so I'd likely buy it there. All that said, I (we? You, too?) have a ton of ukes so, I am still reallyb trying to figure where it would fit in my quiver as I take may Os and 1s outdoors and travel with them as it is already. MAS (like UAS). LOL.

http://ukeeku.com/2010/07/06/martin-oxk-full-review/

No forget the gibsons.. bit more pricey though

I agree, brother Stan. I'm currently "stuck" with not one, not two, but Three Gibby Style 3 ukes! (one may be hitting the Bay in February; if anyone here wants to buy or trade for a Style 3, let me know; you can have the eBay fee--but you might want to check out the STyle 3s on eBay before contacting me to see the price ranges we are speaking of). Aloha to you, Stan. That sure looks like the ultimate concert that you posted about, Kalei and Tai. I saw Taimane at Swim Bar at Hyatt on Kalakaua with Jazzy and their percussionist, what, about 18 months ago, and they were amazing. We got drunk as it was happy hour, but they were amazing even before I was half in the bag. LOL. Had two photos taken, just me and her, and because of our state of mind, they were so out of focus as to be unusable (the lighted Exit signed in the background was crisp as a tack, though). Bummer city, especially as I think she's "the kittens". Cheers, friend.

ukuleleden
01-02-2016, 12:21 AM
Happy Ndw Year!

How is the vintage Martin? I just found this thread and see you should have it by now.

Yes, it's wonderful! Well beyond my expectations for it in every regard.

Here are some pics I took of it in between taking off the old strings and before putting on a new set of Martin M600's.

https://goo.gl/photos/J41QQ2UnexHWT66JA

Ukulele Eddie
01-02-2016, 04:05 AM

Here are some pics I took of it in between taking off the old strings and before putting on a new set of Martin M600's.

Wow, that looks in amazing condition!

sam13
01-02-2016, 04:06 AM

This looks REALLY SWEET. Congrats.

I have had laryngitis for 8 days and it is clearing up so I am gonna look at some vintage Martins.

strumsilly
01-02-2016, 05:20 AM
back when I was into sopranos ,I had a vintage Martin 0. When I aquired a used Kiwaya KTC-1 [concert] I sold the Martin, they had a VERY similar tone, but the concert was easier for me to play. In my limited experience I'd say the Kiwaya looks and plays like a new vintage Martin and if you like that size and can find one you won't go wrong with either. Here's an example of a KTS-4 , priced about what a Martin 0 will cost, but without the cracks and other vintage issues.not mine.
https://reverb.com/item/1297323-kiwaya-kts-4-2010-mahogany-further-reduced?_aid=pla&currency=USD&pla=1&gclid=CjwKEAiAh560BRDu-aD93r-J_zoSJACrxZG2XogjpoS7R8bCH7OYJHVPsX2MYUmTOpk3RuXq9 MhUohoCmUPw_wcB

coolkayaker1
01-02-2016, 05:40 AM
This looks REALLY SWEET. Congrats.

I have had laryngitis for 8 days and it is clearing up so I am gonna look at some vintage Martins.

Please do, Simon! We, the peanut gallery, have been waiting, like, six months for you to grab your piggy bank, a hammer, and get into that store! Sheesh! I'm getting bedsores over here!

Strumsilly, agree: Kiwaya is the new Martin (and anyone considering a new-model Martin would be best to try a Kiwaya).

Ukuleleden, that's a sweetheart in every way. Every, single way. Thumbs up.

Django
01-06-2016, 03:11 AM
8708387082870818708087079The photos here show that vintage does not mean perfect, even for the top end Martin. With vintage, sometimes you have to embrace, or at least be willing to live with the imperfections and wear. It looks like they were off a bit when the put in the holes for the tuners, (close-up of head, photo to the right). I'm surprised that it went out the door that way. The rest of it looks pretty good. There is another 5K, also on ebay, and from the tuners, it appears to be from the same vintage and has the same issue where the tuner holes were drilled off center. There may have been an issue with a jig or template. The error is in the same direction.

The photos to the left are of a recent 5K for comparison.

I still love the vintage instruments. Perfection can be boring and without charm or character. Automation sometimes makes things with so little character that they seem sterile. For me, it's the same when I hear music that has been so filtered and sterilized that it seems mechanical and artificial. I'll take the raw version over the re-mastered version any day. Imperfections are part of the charm of a hand made object, but for $11,200.00 plus on sale, this one could have a little less charm and character. If you are looking to purchase an expensive vintage instrument, please check it out carefully before buying or at least know that you are buying it from a reputable seller. There is something to be said for owning a finely crafted instrument from an historic period. I wish that they could talk.