Vintage Martin Sopranos: Let the journey begin ... and the questions/analysis

sam13

Reaction score
Hi All,

DownUpDave and I are checking out some Vintage Martin Sopranos and it is my first foray into them ...

CoolKayaker1 has been generous with offering details, thanks Steve, however I was wondering what the rest of you Vintage Martin users have to say.

Beyond the scratches, dings, cracks etc. do you have any advice? Is there anything beyond playing them and having a good thorough inspection I should be aware of?

What strings do you use on them? I am looking for warmth with brightness, and bark (volume) as well as.

I know the Style 0's are most common, and as they progress up in numbers they are more rare and costly which includes the Concerts.

Thanks for your input,

Mahalo.

While I have little in the way of expertise, I have played a lot of vintage Martins, and I would offer the following two opinions:

1. They're amazingly consistent. I don't think I ever played one that didn't sound good.
2. I've seen little evidence that the higher-trim models sound any better than the basic models.

So my conclusion is that, if tone is the goal, go for a Style 0-- they are easy to find and quite reasonable in price. I have a 1930 Style 0 I bought from Bernunzio a few years back, and it continues to delight.

If you haven't already purchased the Walsh & King Martin book, do so immediately! Not only is it a wonderful read, it details all the changes to the Martin line over the years, and makes it pretty easy to date a uke. In fact, just click here.

While I have little in the way of expertise, I have played a lot of vintage Martins, and I would offer the following two opinions:

1. They're amazingly consistent. I don't think I ever played one that didn't sound good.
2. I've seen little evidence that the higher-trim models sound any better than the basic models.

So my conclusion is that, if tone is the goal, go for a Style 0-- they are easy to find and quite reasonable in price. I have a 1930 Style 0 I bought from Bernunzio a few years back, and it continues to delight.

If you haven't already purchased the Walsh & King Martin book, do so immediately! Not only is it a wonderful read, it details all the changes to the Martin line over the years, and makes it pretty easy to date a uke. In fact, just click here.

Yes, yes, yes and yes to what Rich says above!

I'll add that just be patient as some of the "boutique" and private sellers set prices that make them less appealing when taking a more broader view of the overall ukulele market and what similar $$ can buy you...

Yup........Simon is dragging me kicking and screaming into the world of vintage sopranos. But he did that to me with Pono and LfdM, both wonderful discoveries. I have influenced him towards super sopranos with my Loprinzi and conveting a mahogany tenor with exposure to my Collings UT2.

Its like two drunks leading each other to the nearest bar :cheers:

Last edited:
Yup........Simon is dragging me kicking and screaming into the world of vintage sopranos. But he did that to me with Pono and LfdM, both wonderful discoveries. I have influenced him towards conveting a mahogany tenor with exposure to my Collings UT2.

Nothing better than Wine, women and Ukes ... lol.

We both are great enablers ... trying to get him to buy a few more Ukes by year end! :cool:

Agree with every word of what RichM and Ukuleleden have written below. Every syllable.

Many use Fremont Blacklines or Aquilas (if the nut slots on your particular model are wide enough--some are not). I think bearded Jano has the former, and Krouk has the latter in this awesome video. I can envision you singing this exact jazzy and sultry song, Simon. With DUD on accompanying uke!

This will really whet your whistle, gentlemen. And, just maybe, you Canadian ukuleleists can even understand what Philipe Krouk is saying (something about trading a bagel for one of his Martins, I think)

Last edited:
I have vintage Martins- 1960's Baritone, 1950's Tenor, Concert, and S0. I can't believe the excellent condition they are all in. My S0 looks almost new condition, has the Klusen tuners, original canvas case and I have it strung with Freemont Blackline strings. It is an excellent sounding uke!

Interesting thread guys, I'd also love to hear how the vintage ukes you find compare to a more modern instrument like a Kiwaya KTS4 for example. Looking forward to the updates in your UAS journey :)

Interesting thread guys, I'd also love to hear how the vintage ukes you find compare to a more modern instrument like a Kiwaya KTS4 for example. Looking forward to the updates in your UAS journey :)

Hey Bill, Simon will bring along his Keli'i for comparison amd I will bring along my Loprinzi. Those are both super sopranos but that is the smallest size we own. I am just really going as a wingman, Simon is hot for a vintage Martin.:)But you never know. I will keep you posted.

I've been making an effort to play my soprano more lately so it's nice to see this thread.

I picked up a terrific S0 (40's-50's) from a UU member last year, all original, no cracks, barely a nick, with the original canvas bag in great condition as well for $500. I think they're bargains, great company, old wood etc...

I agree that they are quite consistent.

I am in accord with what has been said here about vintage Martin sopranos: consistently great tone and playability. Through the years, they got a little heavier, probably in response to customer complaints about cracking and other issues relate to light builds. I am particularly fond of those from the 1920's. I think there is a difference in tone between the ones with 12 fret boards (0, 1, 2) and those with extended boards (3 & 5), with the former being a bit spunkier. I like Fremont Blacklines on mine.

In comparison to vintage Martin sopranos, I find newer Martin style sopranos to sound nice but they almost always lack the openness and vibe of the vintage ones. There's just no replacing the aging process, it's that little something special the vintage Martins seem to posses. I completely support the hunt for a nice vintage Martin soprano!

It took me almost three years to find the vintage Martin for me. I played a great Style 1 at Music Folk in St. Louis in 2012 and didn't understand what I had in my hands. It was so loud and the tone was so rich. It took until this past January 2015 in Tiburon, CA at Schoenberg's Guitars to find another one like the one in St. Louis. My Martin soprano is a Style 2 from the 1920s and it has a one inch repaired crack on the top. It's got the mojo! In between those years I tried about a dozen other vintage Martin sopranos and none of them spoke to me.

I also had a 2012 new Martin 2K that was nice but not vintage. I believe it's now in Coolkayaker's Martin collection.

I'm very happy with my 1920s Style2 as its a nice change once in a while from my tenor ukuleles. I have no need for another soprano now.

Enjoy your journey...old Martins are great ukes. Most of the ukes they made were sopranos, so there is usually a good inventory to choose from. Concert sized Martins are less frequently encountered, particularly those built before the 50s. I agree with the Walsh & King book suggestion - think of it as an owners manual. The usual trade offs are build year, condition (especially cracks but also cosmetics), and model (0 - 3, 5, plus K). A Style 0 with repaired cracks from the 50s can be had for a few hundred, and could serve as a great player. You have to decide what you are willing to sacrifice to get one in your price range. Unless you happen to have unlimited money, in which case you can go right for the holy grail.

For inventory, check out Bernuzio, Elderly, and Retrofret. I have bought from the first 2 and they are great about returns. I haven't bought from Retrofret but they have a bunch of vintage sopranos in stock. The next time I go to Brooklyn, I plan to visit and they may have one less hanging on the wall.

Personally, I like Style 1's. I have a nice Style 1 from the mid-40s, and a Style 2 from before 1920, with bar frets and wooden tuners. My Style 1 is my favorite soprano for everyday use. Have fun!

I have a pre-war O with Aquilas on it. Sounds bright, woody, and LOUD, without being brash. From the feedback I've read, Aquilas work great on some, not so great on others....kind'a like any other uke.

Yup........Simon is dragging me kicking and screaming into the world of vintage sopranos. But he did that to me with Pono and LfdM, both wonderful discoveries. I have influenced him towards super sopranos with my Loprinzi and conveting a mahogany tenor with exposure to my Collings UT2.

What a minute, is this the same Simon who insists sopranos are too small? I'm confused. ;-)

Just kidding. It's always fun to experiment and look forward to sharing in your adventure, virtually!

There is a shop here that the owner has several not for sale behind the counter. He breaks them out and will even let you play them. They sound shockingling good for their age and condition. Great thread.

I have a pre-war O with Aquilas on it. Sounds bright, woody, and LOUD, without being brash. From the feedback I've read, Aquilas work great on some, not so great on others....kind'a like any other uke.

Aquila sounds great on my mid-50s style 0. As others have said they are very consistent and a must have for any uke collection worthy of the name. The ones with wooden pegs sound the best.

Top Bottom