Wood Patching Question

dkame

Reaction score
I have a back set of ziricote that I like but now the dark spots in the light area are starting to bug me. Is there a reasonable way to patch or plug these dark spots or am I better off just leaving it alone? The spots go all the way through.

Attachments

• ziricote.jpg
    ziricote.jpg
    56.5 KB · Views: 82
One opinion - leave it the way it is. I think the dark spots add character.

Unfortunately, the pieces are not wide enough to remove all the sapwood. The lower bout would still have a sapwood edge, but that's a thought. Could work...

If there's enough extra length, try making a hole outside the pattern and plugging it to see how it looks. My guess is that the seam will be more annoying than the spots.

How about a big decorative inlay in the middle of the back?

I suggest bringing the two defects together as close as possible...And then inlaying a heart shape over the defects

..some folk will think it looks pretty ;)

This is some nice work by Sam Guidry at Gallup guitars which might help you.
12208271_901157479937469_1514133508030300664_n.jpg12227184_901157459937471_5437802708229455491_n.jpg

One opinion - leave it the way it is. I think the dark spots add character.

I'm with pbagley on this one. Leave it the way it is. It adds interest and sometimes absolute symmetry can be boring to the eye. Judicious asymetry can be very effective in design... Plugging or patching the spots would probably just look lame. Let the wood be honest. It was a growing living thing and it wasn't perfect. Just like us. I think it looks good... Oh, and I've noticed that people don't really look much at the backs. The focus seems to be on the top and the peghead.

Ditto what Timbuck and Beau suggested. I'd usually leave grain defects alone to add character.... but those spots are so different in size that it would bother me too

Top Bottom