What about Gibson ukes?

It's a good question. First, I think Gibson made far fewer ukuleles as compared to Martin, and Gibson got into the ukulele market late as compared to Martin.

Not nearly as many people have vintage Gibson ukuleles and since early on in the ukulele world, Martin has sat atop the heap as far as making high end ukuleles. However, others produced ukuleles just as fine as Martin, such as Rutan and of course...Gibson. I love my Gibson ukulele and it is every bit as fine as my Martin.

It's a good question. First, I think Gibson made far fewer ukuleles as compared to Martin, and Gibson got into the ukulele market late as compared to Martin.
And Martin stayed in the uke market a lot later than Gibson. Martin produced ukes for several decades (and then got right back into it after a brief hiatus). Gibson only built ukes for a couple decades, I think.

(In a parallel universe, Whistleman's doppelganger is on a mandolin forum asking why there's so much info about old Gibson mandolins, and so little about Martins!)

My Gibson tenor uke is my favorite uke, and I have a number of very nice late model ukes. I have also owned two beautiful vintage Martin tenor ukes and they did not hold a candle to this little gem. Count me as a huge fan. Someday I will pick up a Gibson baritone as well as I hear they are also stellar.

Gibson made some cool ukuleles and of course some very special banjo ukes. They never did use any koa. Lots of fun to play and keep an eye out for the tenors they made during the 1920's & 30's. Those are tough to find and some of their best.

Here's an extra fancy Florentine model (pickguard and endping jack are later additions) from about 1930.

Gibson Tenor (1).jpg

"The Gibson" logo headstock ukes are exceptional as collectibles and as players.

"Gibson" logo headstock sopranos (1950s) are not my cup of tea because they are more cheaply made and, quite literally, smaller in body size than prior Gibbys and all Martins. Why, Gibson, why? (note: tenors are normal size and great ukes).

A fun Gibby vid with Honey, Bosko, and Rufus Yells. Great viewing and information.

P.S. If anyone is interested in buying a top-of-the-food-chain, 1920s Style 3 Gibson, I have more than my share and will part with one--mama needs a new pair of binoculars. Lol. Quite rare, Gibby 3s as Mr. Yells shows in the video. Just PM me.

Last edited:
Tigershark,

Is that your Gibson uke in the photo?

Not mine, it was sold on ebay today for $4150 by a Japanese seller.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/301796748355

The pickguard was added and so was the pickup jack drilled into the endblock. Modern tuners as well. Very strage changes for such a rare & fancy old uke.

I'd love one, as I am from Kalamazoo, and my family has ties to the Gibson family. But they are spendy.

I love my Gibsons. A tenor, soprano, and a banjo uke (ub2) all from 1926 as best as can be documented.

Top Bottom