Little Black Sambo/Tiger Rag a Cante Fable for Diwali

IamNoMan

Reaction score
A Classic Children's Tale and A Jazz Standard for Diwali, The Indian Festival of Lights.

In the Uk the word "sambo" is considered a racially abusive term in the same ways as the "N word".

The Collins Dictionary says: an archaic and taboo word for a Black person.
The Oxford Dictionary says: offensive A black person.

Just saying "Little Black Sambo" in the UK would pretty much guarantee you being fired from your job, and possibly being arrested for violating Anti-Discrimination laws.

I just thought you should know.

Sambo is also a Russian martial arts.

In the U.S., I've never heard the term Sambo as something negative. I'm sure the poster meant nothing by it. It should be considered bad since it's a not negative word in the OP culture.

Last edited:
In the Uk the word "sambo" is considered a racially abusive term in the same ways as the "N word".

The Collins Dictionary says: an archaic and taboo word for a Black person.
The Oxford Dictionary says: offensive A black person.

Just saying "Little Black Sambo" in the UK would pretty much guarantee you being fired from your job, and possibly being arrested for violating Anti-Discrimination laws.

I just thought you should know.

It is not without controversy over here, either - not that I think the OP was trying to offend. You would be hard pressed to find a published copy of the story with the original title or child's name these days.

I positive that the OP did not intend any offence. I just thought he would want to know.

Top Bottom