Anyone have experience with Deering Goodtime Banjo uke

uketanzon

Reaction score
Considering getting one of these. Anyone have one. And want to share comments, pro and con.

Have a firefly concert banjo uke. Uke group kinds wants me to be the alternative sound guy,
Banjo, 6/8 string maybe a tiple someday.

Anyway, I have The firefly concert banjo. It's ok. Goes out of tune a lot. So Is the Deering banjo uke so much better that I should look to upgrade?

Thanks

Last edited:
Just got a reply to a question I asked a while back on their Facebook page re: metal strings. They do not recommend them.

I played one at the Sam Ash in Tampa and want one now!
Loud as heck and a whole lot of fun to play!

I just wanted to mention some design aspects I really like. The bridge plate is unique to nylon stringed Deering banjos and the sustain it adds allows for more styles of play. That and the larger 11” body spreads the tonal range, less of that punch you in the face midrange. That along with the lack of sustain make most banjo ukes challenging to sound good on, for me at least. Plus the tailpiece design keeps a nice strong break angle at the the bridge, a common issue with some.
Made entirely in America for $400 is pretty sweet too. We're supposed to be getting 4 of them in a few weeks. Might be tempted to take one home.

I just wanted to mention some design aspects I really like. The bridge plate is unique to nylon stringed Deering banjos and the sustain it adds allows for more styles of play. That and the larger 11” body spreads the tonal range, less of that punch you in the face midrange. That along with the lack of sustain make most banjo ukes challenging to sound good on, for me at least. Plus the tailpiece design keeps a nice strong break angle at the the bridge, a common issue with some.
Made entirely in America for $400 is pretty sweet too. We're supposed to be getting 4 of them in a few weeks. Might

be tempted to take one home.

Thanks for feedback....sent a pm asking if you have
Any experience in comparing the goodtime to the firefly concert banjo uke.

I've played both. Personally, it's hard to compare them because they're different beasts. I like how the Deering projects without being boomy, but I like how the Firefly brings out certain things in my playing that I don't expect. I'm currently saving up for a Deering and already own a soprano Firefly.

I used to own a firefly and have played the Deering when I visited their factory (I actually played a prototype). The main things they have in common is that neither is a traditional banjo uke in construction or in sound, and they are both made in the US. Both avoid being as brash sounding as a traditional uke, but the deering with its larger rim and unique bridge design has a lot more sustain and tonal quality to it. The firefly has a nice plunky banjo tone, that is more like a typical banjo uke with some of the harshness removed, while I felt the Deering had a tone that shaded more towards a nice high-end uke with lots of power, responsiveness and sustain.

The Deering sounded great while doing fingerpicking and strumming, while I found the firefly to be much better as a strummed ukulele. I would say that given the relative prices they are both good value for the money.

To my ear, the Deering had a presence in tone quality and volume that is pretty rare at its price point, and it is on my short list if I ever replace my Firefly (which I sold to finance a Blackbird Clara).

Has anyone been able to compare the deering tone wise with any of the pro level offerings from beansprout or Enoch? I have been wanting the deering but, may have the patience if the tone of the beansprout or Enoch are worth the extra cash. I have an Enoch tradesman banjo and love it so much, I would'the hesitate to add another of his fine instruments. Thanks.

I actually have both of these ukes - the Deering Goodtime concert banjo uke and the Firefly in soprano size.

The Deering is obviously more solid, more heavy than the Firefly (which might be the lightest thing ever).

The Deering has lovely action. I really love the neck on it - really smooth. Solid high quality materials. Geared tuners are nice and smooth-turning. I had a hard time getting it strung up initially and removed the plate that comes with it (probably a bad idea). The 11" head makes it sound more banjo-y, which I like. I was worried it might look goofy with its little concert neck strapped to the big old 11" head, but it actually looks better in person. I have the green soft case/gig bag, which fits well but doesn't offer too much protection.

The Firefly has the more banjolele/ chuck'ing kind of sound. The Firefly is almost too light, but that does make it great for traveling with. I am not too fond of the necks on the Firefly/Flea's in general; they're too thick and squared for me.

Having both, I would buy the Deering again; I would not buy the Firefly again. I think you get much more value on the Deering.

I have a Deering Goodtime Banjo which I don't play. Perhaps a neck swap?
--tom

I have a Deering Goodtime Banjo which I don't play. Perhaps a neck swap?
--tom

I contacted Deering regarding the possibility of switching the neck on my 5-string Goodtime special banjo to a tenor neck. They wanted $170 for the neck and you have to drill for the hanger bolts on the new neck yourself to get the setup right. Probably something similar for switching over to a banjo uke neck...

Now I'm wondering what would happen if I converted my Goodtime Special to a uke neck...

got to play one a few weeks ago. favorably impressed. I want one! I heard a rumor that they will also come out with a tenor neck. Is that true? that would seal it for me.

Last edited:
Top Bottom