Cl score!

bunnyf

Reaction score
Wasn't REALLY looking, but set an alert a few months ago on CL to notify me if any ukes were up for sale. Well, every day I'd get a few, letting me know that a Lanikai, Luna or a Harmony was for sale. I'd delete the message and go on about my business, not expecting much. Then just the other day I got an alert and it was for a Pono. Long story short, it was a pro classic cedar/acacia cutaway Bari. Lady got it 3mo ago from HMS and just didn't take to the ukulele at all. Got it for $500. Mint cond, hardly played at all. She threw in a bunch of string sets too and a Daily Ukulele. Btw, one of them was a low g, gCEA Southcoast set which I will send off to the first poster that wants them n/c. I've wanted to try Dirk's strings but I don't want C tuning on my Bari. Looks like she has Aquila nylaguts on there now. Anyway, uke is great. LOVE the radius fretboard! For me, much cleaner bar chords. Could be a combo though of that and lower action. In any case, much more playable. I struggle with a dead first string usually..now, easy-peasy. Also LOVE the cutaway. Besides looking cool, I have a tendency to strike the top of the body right where the cutaway is and make an annoying tap with my nail when I'm strumming my conventional shaped Bari. Now with the cutaway...
problem solved! If anyone has string suggestions that don't involve widening the nut slot, I would love to hear them.

Congrats on the score!!!

I'll take those Southcoast Strings. Will PM you address.

Thanks guys! I am very pleased with the Pono. It's the first time I've violated my golden rule of "buy high, sell low". I am never the person who gets a deal. I am the one who paid entirely too much for something and could never unload it for more than a tiny fraction of what I paid. This getting a bargain is a wonderful feeling. I could get used to it!

This is fantastic........I love a story with a happy ending. As you have found out Pono are an excellent quality instrument and I am a huge fan of radius fret boards for the exact reasons you stated. That IS a heck of a deal you got on a great instrument, congratulations.

As far as strings go if you are looking for something brighter and cleaning sounding try the Martin baritone strings. They are linear tuning with double wound and two florocarbon strings.

Happy to hear that you got an amazing deal, those Pono Baritones are among the very best.

Wow, that's what you were looking for! Yay, Craigslist! Happy days ahead, for sure.

Top Bottom