NUD Pono Nui - Pro Classic Big Baritone

we tigers

Reaction score
In the last couple of weeks I sold two ukes and yesterday my new ukulele arrived. But is it still a ukulele?
I don't really care. I love it! It's a beauty that plays like butter and sounds like nothing else.

It's a 23" scale like a tenor guitar, but braced for nylon strings like a baritone ukulele. Solid acacia, ebony radiused and bound fretboard, bridge, binding and headplate. Slotted headstock with Grover tuners.
Incredible deep, resonant and warm sound with heaps of sustain and beautiful clear note separation. Sounds truly amazing!

I think it is going to sound incredibly well together with Saskia's mallet work on her glockenspiel and vibraphone!

I'll try and get a sound sample up pretty soon, but I'm sure it will be featured in tons of our videos in the months to come.

Congrats! I have been coveting the Nui but opted for a steel string tenor guitar instead. If money were no object I would have a Nui too. I love my Pono baritone. Super playable. I'm sure you'll enjoy yours.

Congratulations, I absolutely love my Baritone Nui! Yours is exceptionally nice, with the sapwood stripe on the back and the dark binding.

Looking forward to hearing some sound samples!

Thanks guys! I have been playing it all night last night. It just sings. I have no idea what kind of strings there on it, but I feel that there's possible improvement on that level.
I think I would like to try a SouthCoast lineair set with flat wound basses. I love flat wound strings on my Precision bass guitars. I think it would give the Nui an incredible nice jazzy vibe.

Beautiful. Don't forget to get some sleep! ;-)

Beautiful. Excellent. Play away!

I've been looking at them too! Looks really nice and I bet it sounds really nice too. I've listened to the sound samples on HMS between the baritone ukuleles and the Nui and I really couldn't tell much of a difference. I know a lot depends on the recording and I'm sure that hearing one in person makes a big difference.

I think the difference is noticeable in the depth and sustain of the tone and I think the Nui rings a bit more because of the higher string tension. I wouldn't mind a normal baritone scaled Pono in the collection as well though...

I think the difference is noticeable in the depth and sustain of the tone and I think the Nui rings a bit more because of the higher string tension. I wouldn't mind a normal baritone scaled Pono in the collection as well though...

If you tune the standard bari with a high -d if gives you and excuse to have the Bari and standard...:)

I have a high-gloss mango and it is amazing. I plan to get a nui in the future, but can't decide on which one.

Very nice, I got my spruce Nui a couple of weeks ago. I love it.

Looks great! Congratulations on it. I bet it sounds great

Sorry if this is a dumb newbie question......

I have been thinking about getting a baritone, and was leaning towards the Pono ABC-PC. I am ashamed to admit that my untrained ear struggles to tell the difference between various strings etc so I'm not sure the extra sustain would be noticeable to me. However, do you think I should consider a Nui instead?

My leaning is probably for the ABC as the Nui looks very large in the body, and I kinda like my uke not to look like a guitar....:rolleyes:

Kiwiohana, the Pono Baritone Nui does sound a lot deeper, richer, and fuller to me than any other Baritone (I have a Kanilea and a regular Pono Baritone to compare). Very Guitar-like. But if you say that you would hate your Uke to look (and feel) like a Guitar, then the Nui just isn't your thing, and you'd be better off with a regular Baritone instead - they are big enough as they are. Pono makes wonderful Baritones, and with the Cedar top, that ABC-PC will sound plenty warm as well.

Hope that helps, let us know what you end up with...

I recorded a little sound sample for you all. Just a quick on the fly improvisation, but you can get an idea of the sound.

Yeah, he was selling himself short a bit there. That was lovely.

Holy crap is right. Selling himself short is an understatement. My on the fly improvisations sound nothing like that.

That was mesmerizing. Congratulations on a great instrument, you do it justice.

Gorgeous instrument and truly superb playing! I'm jealous on both counts. ;)

I've been thinking about a baritone myself. I'll keep this Pono in mind when the time comes to do more than think.

Thanks so much for posting the sound clip, it sounds amazing.

Top Bottom