ADF#B tuning

Andy Chen

Reaction score
Sorry if this topic has been raised here before, but can most strings take this tuning?

I just tried it with a Living Waters low G set on my Outdoor camouflage tenor - seems fine.

I also used South Coast LL-NW (or was it LML-NW) on my other Outdoor tenor, which is obviously fine since it is recommended by Dirk himself on the website.

A friend of mine said he did this with Worth Browns and the A string snapped after five weeks.

Btw, going up to ADF#D on the Outdoor tenor really makes the instrument pop. It was already sweet sounding in GCEA, but going up gives it more volume and a beefier sound.

You're welcome. Enjoy exploring alternative tunings and possibly even eventually expanding into the realm of baritone ukulele playing!

I've tuned sopranos up to D both with a Worth clear soprano/concert set and a Living Water soprano set with no problems. My Bruko soprano sounds better in D tuning. I've never tried Eb tuning which was the other common tuning in the 20s & 30s but if I did, I'd would probably use a capo. I'm not fond of high string tension and concert in C tuning is about the limit for me. I tune tenors down as I don't find the tension of a tenor in C tuning comfortable.

Thanks Geoff and kd, for your input.

Geoff: you should try South Coast Light and Light-medium strings, they are very comfortable for tenors at C tuning.

Thanks Geoff and kd, for your input.

Geoff: you should try South Coast Light and Light-medium strings, they are very comfortable for tenors at C tuning.

Thanks for the suggestion, Andy. I looked into South Coast strings but their higher cost plus the cost of shipping to the UK makes them a little expensive. Anyway, I happen to like my tenors tuned DGBE.

Top Bottom