Maker’s label

Kevs-the-name

Reaction score
Don’t know ‘where’ or how to ask this.
I am looking to produce a ‘makers label’ for inside my ukuleles.
I have a design that I have drawn, but don’t know how to go any further with it. Can anybody suggest an option please.
I want something that is reproducible, accurate and professional looking. (not hand drawn on paper and glued in!)

What do other people use?

I am not a real luthier, but I have completed two scratch built instruments. A few more are in progress that I work on in my "spare" time, which is very limited.

I made a decal for the headstock that I printed on our home ink jet printer. This is a water slide decal using stock purchased from the hobby store.

For a couple of my furniture projects I made a label on the same printer. I used a computer to create the label, printed it on decent paper, then used polyurethane finish to stick it down. I added a couple of coats of spray polyurethane over the label to protect it.

Good luck.

I want something that is reproducible, accurate and professional looking. (not hand drawn on paper and glued in!)

What do other people use?

My labels are hand drawn on paper and glue in, which I find reproducible, accurate and professional looking. Just sayin

I use to install a paper label, but left one instrument out on my workbench overnight and a mouse climbed inside and ate the label. Apparently they love the glue. So I decided if it could happened once, then it could happen again. So I switched to an laser engraved back strip. And now that I have a laser of my own, I knocked up another tile that will be glued to the neck block so it's visible if you peer through the sound hole.

You could find a local trophy shop to do this sort of thing for you.

Back Strips.jpgNeck Block Lable.jpg

My labels are hand drawn on paper and glue in, which I find reproducible, accurate and professional looking. Just sayin

So, you use white paper, a biro and a bit of paper glue for your labels? simple as that?

Your stuff is amazing, (I can’t draw a wiggly line accurately though) Its good to know the method a professional uses.

I need to practice!

Kevin - I used to print mine on self adhesive labels - single A4 sheet in a pack from Staples. I recused myself from using a welsh dragon motive etc but that would be a look reflecting your background eh? Just used the tools in the word package to put one together.

You can use an inkjet printer with archival inks or a black and white laser printer. Either one will most likely outlast you. I spray a little Krylon Crystal Clear on the label before I glue it in. The Krylon helps keeps the paper from getting dirty or stained with glue. I go to the art store and find some heavy paper I like.

I'm not sure what your question is exactly. Are you looking for a graphic designer to do a professional-looking logo/label and have stickers made? You can get a designer or art director at an ad agency to do it relatively inexpensively. You might also try holding a contest at a local high school or college art/design department for even cheaper alternatives. I've personally done business logos before, along with strategic business analysis and marketing. It all depends on what your vision is for your company and where you see it heading.

I had a hand drawn label design, which has now been made into a professional looking computer image.
I was just trying to find out how the label production process was ‘done’

I was interested to find out how others ‘made' them, what products they used etc. (specific ink, type of paper, protective coating etc...)
and also the reproduction process of the label i.e. using inkjet / laser printer, hand made, professional sticker etc..

Before I got a laser engraver, I used an electric branding iron. It was a custom design, attached to a soldering iron, with a rheostat to control the temperature. It can look very nice, and is very fast, with no need to add something for protection.

–Lori

Before I got a laser engraver, I used an electric branding iron. It was a custom design, attached to a soldering iron, with a rheostat to control the temperature. It can look very nice, and is very fast, with no need to add something for protection.

–Lori
This is certainly something I want to do in the future.
I was going to try and find out ‘how’ or where I can get one made up using my new logo.

I designed something on photoshop and size it and print (inkjet printer) it each time to suit. I then stick it on with watered down titebond and brush a little over the top as well to seal it. You have to be a bit careful to not make the ink run, but once it's dry it looks fine.

I use normal printer paper btw.

Top Bottom