Motivation Wanted

Timbuck

Reaction score
I've prepared and sanded to size a dozen soprano sets, made a batch of one piece necks, I have a load of ebony fret boards ready and slotted, enough blocks, bracing, rosettes and kerfed linings to last a year ...Now I just need a bit of "get up and go" to start putting the bits together....But! I don't feel in the mood :( Maybe later on today I could make a bit of an effort to start bending a few sides when it stops snowing.:uhoh:

Just be glad you are one of the best builders on the planet. If I had 10% your ability, I'd never stop working.

Now shut up and get in the shop.

Or go ride a bicycle.

;)

Hello, Timbuck! I am sorry you aren't motivated. I have an idea. Why don't you go and find a crappy uke somewhere and play it for awhile. Then you may feel motivated to get busy making your ukuleles so that the world can be filled with beautiful music!

In a performance dedicated to Russ Morin, builder of fine Resonator Ukuleles, Hippie Dribble AKA Mountain Goat has adapted the lyrics of a Guy Clark song, "Besides, I Got Ukes to Build". I'm not building instruments, but I always think about that song when I have to motivate myself to get some great work done. Your Ukes are something that people are going to enjoy for decades, so heat up your bending irons and make some.

Ken, if you don't feel like building today then my advice is don't bother forcing yourself. It's supposed to be fun. Pop down the pub and find a few pints of inspiration.

That's the problem when you don't need to work... This 'wave' came far too late for the likes of you Ken. In another time and another place you would be a consultant in the R&D going to 'play' every day, creating simple and effective solutions in a making environment. We met (granted it has all been virtual but I really appreciate the tools and mods you have made me over the years) 15 years too late. Personally, I think you have a great life - don't feel under pressure to do anything cos when you do 'nothing' you are always coming up with superb and obscure YouTube stuff to keep us entertained.

Is it just coincidence that your motivation disappeared on the coldest day of the winter so far? I know I wasn't looking forward to working in the garage today, so I did an hour or so and went indoors and baked a cake. Not something I've ever done before( like building a uke), but nevertheless very satisfying.

Hey, Ken, I'm with Andyk--just put your feet up, have a cold one (or a warm one) and wait for inspiration. BTW--I have watched a dozen or more of your vids and have really enjoyed them. I've even caught some of your posts on another forum and read them through. I'm sure there are many here, like me, who appreciate every post you bother to post. Oh, and by the time I'm writing this, about 7pm in the states, you're probably sawing them off in the UK, as is a good friend I have in Chester, lol. And when you wake up, it'll be a new day anyhoo. Best regards!

Last edited:
Cuppa and a good book, with your feet up for a day. You'll be itchy to bend sides soon enough. Sometimes the muse needs a nap.

Enough of this resting and tea drinking already. Slap on a warm hat, brew up some real coffee (black, no sugar), put some Vivaldi on the stereo, crank it up to eleven and get back to work. Don't make me come half way across to world to put some lead in that pencil. They don't call it work for nothin'.

Enough of this resting and tea drinking already. Slap on a warm hat, brew up some real coffee (black, no sugar), put some Vivaldi on the stereo, crank it up to eleven and get back to work. Don't make me come half way across to world to put some lead in that pencil. They don't call it work for nothin'.
Ok Ok Ok ...no need to nag ;) I been in the shed today and made start ... I fitted a dozen rosettes ..but it is cold in there.

Last edited:
Glad you found your Movo Ken. If you didn't I was gonna send this picture of how well-loved and well-used your ukes are…

playwear.jpg

Love the pubic strings Rodney.

Ken when did you get promoted to prefect? I thought you were more of a milk monitor kind of guy!

Love the pubic strings Rodney.

Ken when did you get promoted to prefect? I thought you were more of a milk monitor kind of guy!
Yes ! Was a prefect at school for a short while ..also did the milk monitor job..and pre-Biro ink monitor.... I also got caned a lot..I was rubbish at wood work but good at metal work...terrible at maths and English..left at 14 "happy days" :rolleyes:

"You seem to go through this every winter Ken. You need to close up shop for a little while and come to see me."

Now you're talking!! Sitting on a nice lawn chair with your feet up drinking those nice drinks with the little umbrella in em. Beautiful, warm days and nights. It would do you a world of good Ken.

Top Bottom