Yasui / Shimabukuro: Campanella

southcoastukes

Reaction score
I got an e-mail this afternoon from a fellow named Byron. He directed me to NPR to hear a piece he had written. We had corresponded about this at the beginning of the year. I sent him some videos of Leonardo Lozano, but they had no influence on his composition - he was finished by then.

It is a Concerto for Ukulele & Orchestra with Jake Shimabukuro as featured soloist. I was wondering when this would be released. To me it seems like a landmark for our favorite instrument. Here is a video from the Hawaii Symphony in anticipation of the World Premiere:

After the initial performance in Hawaii, it was also performed in Denver, and as they have a history of recording and releasing contemporary work, it seemed like a recording might be forthcoming from that performance. But as of now, what we have is what Byron informed me of in today's letter.

I get the NPR weekly notifications, but don't generally pay a lot of attention to the details. O.K., I thought, I missed that one, but at last there is a way to hear this composition. I've only had a chance at a couple of listenings, but to me, this is a tremendous work. I'm not really captivated by Jake's commercial style, though I'm glad he's making the Ukulele heard. Still, there's no doubt whatsoever this guy can play, and what he does here in campanella is amazing. And Byron's composition is a beautiful modern work, regardless of what instrument it was written for.

But only two of the three movements are offered!!! Here's what Byron wrote:

You should be able to hear the first and third movements of my three movement ‘ukulele concerto on the internet. Because of time constraints, I guess, there were not able to include the slow (2nd) movement.

Time Constraints! NPR! They had Mozart on that hour! Love Mozart, but do you cut out portions of a World Premiere for a guy who's been around the block a few times?

At any rate, Byron directed me (more or less) to the site. The NPR site is a bit challenging. Of course who am I to talk - we get those sort of remarks about our site all the time. I got there eventually. Here's a link (further directions below):

http://www.yourclassical.org/programs/performance-today/episodes/2015/11/07

Click on Hour 2. At the beginning they talk about Jake and Byron. Makes you think it's going to take up the whole show. But then they go to various other performances. Go to the green bar at the bottom if you want the Concerto and move it to 36:15. There's a brief interview there before the performance where Jake gives a great demonstration of what the Campanella style is and sounds like.

At the end, it says they'd love reaction and to click on the Contact button or call. I'd suggest we all ask for the complete performance. I've waited a long time to hear this. Glad I got most of it, but would love to hear the complete performance. I think we'd all be in for a treat. Not to look a gift horse in the mouth, but after all, it wasn't written as a "1st & 3rd".

I just listened to the excerpt. Wanted to say something snobby and insulting, but what I heard was not only a great accomplishment, but beautiful music, reminiscent of Gershwin and Hindemith. The use of the orchestra and ukulele together was visionary and the result is most successful. I only mention the performance to say, Jake is even more accomplished a musician than I had even imagined.
To both Maestri, Yasui and Shimabukuro, I say BRAVISSIMO!!! ENCORE!!!!

You can also go to the Performance Today Face Book page and leave comments.

"Ukulele master Jake Shimabukuro will join us for a special PT segment on Thanksgiving Day. Here's a preview from our studios."

Perhaps they might play the whole thing on Thanksgiving Day if enough of us ask.

Last edited:
Top Bottom