Playing for Thanksgiving

Cassie

Reaction score
Hey guys, Sorry I haven't been around much. I've been busy. I have some exciting news! I'm going to have a blast with my little Kala this week. My cousin has invited me to come and spend the week with her for Thanksgiving. She Wants me to bring little Kalea along. Kalea is the nickname I've given my little Kala soprano. She wants me to play for everyone at the Thanksgiving dinner especially the children. It's sort of what you would call my first gig. Unfortunately, I'm the only Uker there. This cousin is the same one that gave it to me early. I hope you all have a happy Thanksgiving. Eat lots of turkey, play your ukes and enjoy. I Just thought I would share this exciting news with all of you.

Hi, Cassie - This is such fun news! Thanksgiving is my favorite holiday, and I think it would be the best time ever, playing at a family gathering surrounded by children. Have a great time, and have a wonderful Thanksgiving!

Hi, Cassie - This is such fun news! Thanksgiving is my favorite holiday, and I think it would be the best time ever, playing at a family gathering surrounded by children. Have a great time, and have a wonderful Thanksgiving!

Thanks. That's one of the things I'm definitely thankful for, the fact that I now have a uke. I'm also glad i have such nice family members and such nice UU friends.

For us, Thanksgiving was the beginning of the Christmas season. We always listened to Christmas carols on Thanksgiving day. That, and watch football. But I've been hearing Christmas carols for weeks now on the radio, so it isn't the same. Frankly, and I don't say this with any malice, I could do without Thanksgiving.

Last edited:
For us, Thanksgiving was the beginning of the Christmas season. We always listened to Christmas carols on Thanksgiving day. That, and watch football. But I've been hearing Christmas carols for weeks now on the radio, so it isn't the same. Frankly, and I don't say this with any malice, I could do without Thanksgiving.

I do that but my mom is like, :Why not wait until after thanksgiving."

Congrat's, Cassie on your uke and first gig, enjoy your day! Happy Thanksgiving!

One time we were out playing before Thanksgiving and started on a Christmas set. These two guys walked by and one said something to the effect of "They are already starting that, it's not even Thanksgiving". We stopped and switched back to our non Christmas music. It sounded something like I would have said, but when you are playing is just so much fun.

One time we were out playing before Thanksgiving and started on a Christmas set. These two guys walked by and one said something to the effect of "They are already starting that, it's not even Thanksgiving". We stopped and switched back to our non Christmas music. It sounded something like I would have said, but when you are playing is just so much fun.

I'll mostly be playing children's songs for all the children that are going to be there. I want to learn Mele Kalikimaka but I need to know a few more chords first.

I feel bad for people who live lives so structured, that they have to have a check mark on their calendar that tells them when they can start enjoying Christmas.

Whatever you play, Cassie, have fun! If people like it, great! If they seem to have their attention elsewhere, don't worry, one day someone will come up to you, "Oh by the way, remember that Thanksgiving you played?" Someone is always listening, even if you don't get feedback at the time. :D

Sounds like fun. When I first started, I tried to play some of the old kids' songs that I at least knew the tune to. I discovered if I changed out the name to one of the kid's for the name in the song, they loved it! (I was sort of awful with timing and playing but they talk about "Their Songs")

Whatever you play, Cassie, have fun! If people like it, great! If they seem to have their attention elsewhere, don't worry, one day someone will come up to you, "Oh by the way, remember that Thanksgiving you played?" Someone is always listening, even if you don't get feedback at the time. :D

Thanks. I'm getting packed now. I'm going to have to carry my little Kala separately because it won't fit in my suitcase.

Mahalo for all your nice responses. I'll definitely report when I come back from my trip. If I can, I'll send you a drop box link to a recording.

Have fun and enjoy friends and family. Laugh and talk.

That's why we made holidays!

Good for you Cassie. About six months into playing, I was asked to bring my uke to a New Years Eve party, I wasn't real confident, but it came off pretty well.

Hope you and Little Kalea have fun!

Top Bottom