Blind-test 4 solid mahogany sopranos

La Perdrix

Reaction score
the sames as here : http://forum.ukuleleunderground.com/showthread.php?116881-4-solid-mahogany-sopranos

some french friends told me they couldn't choose and asked me a better quality recording, so here is the blind-test :

https://soundcloud.com/pdrx73/blind-test-4-sopranos-acajou-mahogany

(not sure this is better !)

so, without knowing, what are your preferences ?
and maybe you could try to find which uke I played first, then, and again and again...?

in this audio there is 4 solid mahogany sopranos, 3 have the same strings (worth brown) : Hamano H-100, Ohana sk-28, Kiwaya kts-4 ; another has aquila super nylgut strings, the Ohana sk-38.

after you answered, I can of course tell you more about it in pm, but please don't tell my answer... :)

Last edited:
I listened to the soundcloud recording first:

I prefer 2 and 3 for opposite reasons. 2 for slightly more richness as compared to the others, and 3 for its unique, old-fashioned feel. I liked 4 least, it wasn't even close. Order of preference: 3, 2, 1, 4. This was my first listening impression using MacBook Pro speakers.

Next, I used closed-back, audiophile headphones. Order of preference: 2, 3, 1, 4.

While neither of the four completely captivated me, if I had to choose one of these for myself based on the the above, it would be #2.

YouTube recording:
MacBook Pro speakers -
2, 4, 1, 3

I started to do a fourth listen, then stopped...mostly because I was getting tired with listening to them in order every time. I've done a lot of these recently, and a true blind test will continuously mix things up...it was difficult to attempt this having all four on the same video. I also began to recognize the inherent flaws of listening to recordings vs live blind tests, due to the differences in quality between the two recordings. Also, any recording will always be biased and never come close to the real thing. Hope this helps! :)

You're welcome! If it further helps, my sound preferences generally favor a rich, lush sound with long sustain--even with soprano ukes. I favor Koa over mahogany, but do enjoy the qualities of vintage Martins and Gibsons, among others.

When I did the sound test, I had a feeling I picked one of the ukes I wasn't fond of from the first test after I switched to video. Will wait to hear from you after others have had a chance.

I like #2 as well; seemed a bit richer, with more depth to the sound. Fun game!

I have an SK28. First listen, when it first started, I thought the SK28 was #1. Then, I listened to the recording twice more and started leaning toward the SK28 being #3. So, I'm guessing, and guessing #3 as being the SK28. I'm not familiar with any of the others. By the way, I love my SK 28. Mine isn't strung with Worths. I think it has the original Aquilas on there.

I listened to the blind recordings.

Can you tell me the song you are playing? It sounds like something I might be able to work up.

so now, the answers :

1) Ohana sk-38
2) Ohana sk-28
3) Hamano H100
4) Kiwaya kts-4

Very nice, thanks for posting the results. It's interesting how our eyes can influence a purchase decision, even after knowing which sound profile is preferred. Of course, there's something about the feel of an instrument that's missing here too. Which do you enjoy playing the most, do you have a preference?

I think the Kiwawa has the better sound, then the Hamano, then the 38 and the 28.
the one I prefer to play is the Ohana sk-28, and I prefer the sound of the 38.
so... I can hear that the Kiwaya is a better ukulele, but I don't care, my pleasure is with another, more playable, more roots.
I sold the Kiwaya and maybe someday the Hamano...

The 28 is what I favored soundwise. Maybe your preference for playing it was revealed in the recording?

Visually, I like the Hamano. Surprised the Kiwaya didn't translate well over the internet. Then again, sound/feel/touch are best experienced live.

Top Bottom