Electrical tuners - what frequency should they be set at?

Purdy Bear

Reaction score
The Tuner I have is a digital one, and you can change the frequency and also the instrument you are tuning (ie G= Guitar, V = Violin, U= Ukulele). What frequency should I set the tuner to, when in the short class I did it was on set at 446 and no one said it was off key, but should that be 440?

It goes about 20 in each direction so from about 430 - 450.

This is similar to the one I have:

http://musicalmart.net/shop/product_info.php?products_id=209

Thanks.

Purdy

440hz is the standard tuning frequency for an A.

:)

Hey Purdy,
Tuning is one of the most important things you need to do to get a good sound out of your uke. I would recommend not only relying on a digital tuner to tune my ukulele but also trying to become more familiar with what proper tuning sounds like on the ukulele. There are many ways to do this of course, I would recommend trying to tune to a piano/ keyboard to help your ear as pianos are generally "in tune" find the notes G, C, E, A and compare them to those strings on your ukulele. This will help point you in the right direction and allow your ear to start recognizing what an in tune ukulele sounds like, which will help you if for some reason you don't have your trusty digital tuner on hand. Tuning is covered in the first FREE lesson of my book available [PROMOTIONAL LINK REMOVED BY MOD] Hope this helps.

Last edited by a moderator:
I toured with a couple of jazz and rock bands in the 70's (horn player). i know from experience that the west coast tuned a good .5 cents higher than the east coast! I'm from the east so whenever we went west and had to play with others I was quite uncomfortable! I don't know where you live, but you need to tune to the concert pitch that those in your region tune to!

a440 is the standard tuning for western style interments play worldwide... however there is a reason orchestras tune up before a performance... when you are playing with a piano tune to him... as they can't change that.

I toured with a couple of jazz and rock bands in the 70's (horn player). i know from experience that the west coast tuned a good .5 cents higher than the east coast! I'm from the east so whenever we went west and had to play with others I was quite uncomfortable! I don't know where you live, but you need to tune to the concert pitch that those in your region tune to!

".5" cents? Is that maybe a typo? Seems unlikely anybody could hear that small a difference.

Hey Purdy,
Tuning is one of the most important things you need to do to get a good sound out of your uke. I would recommend not only relying on a digital tuner to tune my ukulele but also trying to become more familiar with what proper tuning sounds like on the ukulele. There are many ways to do this of course, I would recommend trying to tune to a piano/ keyboard to help your ear as pianos are generally "in tune" find the notes G, C, E, A and compare them to those strings on your ukulele. This will help point you in the right direction and allow your ear to start recognizing what an in tune ukulele sounds like, which will help you if for some reason you don't have your trusty digital tuner on hand. Tuning is covered in the first FREE lesson of my book available [PROMOTIONAL LINK REMOVED BY MOD] Hope this helps.

Mark, please familiarise yourself with the UU rules.
5) Posting Links:
5.1 You may post links to items that you think may be of interest to your fellow members, but please do not post links to your own business, or other for-profit website in which you may have an interest, except in your forum signature or in the "Links and Videos" section.
5.2 Please keep links to your personal/hobby website in your forum signature or in the "Links and Videos" section.

With one exception, all your posts have been used as opportunities to spread your links. As you are a new member you are being given the benefit of the doubt but please stop spamming the forum.

Thanks.

Most sane musicians tune to A=440, but if you want "the music of the spheres to play within you" you will set your tuner to A=432: https://attunedvibrations.com/432hz/
It is a little known fact that pianos will gradually go flat until they reach this resonance with the universe so the "tune to the piano" technique is good advice.
:rolleyes:

Piano tuners (even concert hall tuners) actually tune the A below A440 to A220. This puts the next one up at about A442 due to the natural auditory stretching of octaves. I think it's for this reason that many musicians claim the new standard to be A442. The standard is still A440 but, as you've discovered, you're fine at anywhere from 436 to 444. (Honestly, with an ukulele you can be further off and no one will know.)

Go ahead, discuss.

Go ahead, discuss.

Wait , .........what ?

I don't know what to do now. Should I mess up the universe with 442
or go down to 432 and be at one with the Universe ?

Will my ears hear any difference on my soprano?
( seems like the world could use the 432 right now )

Last edited:
if you are playing alone it really doesn't matter as long as the strings are in tune with themselves. when playing with others you should tune to the instrument that is most difficult to change [piano, autoharp]. Every uke /guitar group I play with uses A=440, but some are not sane and seem to be "off"

Last edited:
Im glad you found the information helpful.

Last edited:
Top Bottom