Why are So many Pono ending up in the Marketplace?

ukeeku

Reaction score
I have noticed that a LOT of Pono ukes end up in the marketplace.
What is the deal? Are they bad so people are dumping them?
Did a search in the market place for the last 6 months and took the first 10 pages and got these numbers:
Pono 24
Koaloha 12
Kala 11
Mya Moe 6
Fluke/flea 6
Collings 5
Martin 4
Kamaka 4
Ohana 4
Mainland 2
Kanilea' 2
Oscar Schmidt 2
KPK 1
Mele 1

24 Pono is a lot considering how many they make and the price range.
Also there have been a ton of Mya Moe as well for the number made. I see more of those than any other custom uke.

This is an academic question. what do you think is going on? Are Pono just a upgrade between the cheap Kala and a nice uke?
Do Mya Moe ukes just get sold because they are worth a good amount of money and people will sell them first?
Or is it that are not all that and people dump them since they don't like them that much?

I've been wondering that myself... just coincidence, perhaps? I have just acquired two Ponos recently myself (one from a UU member, one from HMS) and I'm super super happy with them so far. But perhaps a lot of people are either in unfortunate circumstances (I know I saw at least one person selling for that reason) or, as you say, transitioning to an even higher-grade uke.

(If any more Ponos come up for sale, sure wish they'd be sopranos... just sayin'. :iwant: )

Lesley

I guess for the amount of ukes that Pono has sold the number makes sense they are the bridge between the imports and nicer K brands...and resell for a good price
Collins builds very few ukes so I think 5 is a larger number than the 24 for Pono...these are production ukes

for the customs I guess Mya Moe has so many being sold because they build more ukes than others

each person sells their ukes for reasons they only know....which is fine with me it does not mean ukes are not good

my 2 cents

Last edited:
Different people like different things, and maybe bought something and it wasn't quite what they expected/wanted.
Just cuz something gets sold doesn't mean it wasn't good.
There are tons of threads about selling remorse.

Also.. some people have an addiction to NUD's.

I received my Mainland Slothead mahogany concert Uke today, and I now know why you don't see many being sold! Wow! Better than some $1K and up ukuleles I have played, really!!!

I guess for the amount of ukes that Pono has sold the number makes sense they are the bridge between the imports and nicer K brands...and resell for a good price
That was my initial thought as well. Folks step "up" from the Ohanas, Kalas, Lanikais into Pono and then get itching for "more". It's a gateway drug. :p

Ponos are highly recommended here. But it isn't a one size fits all thing.

From the Department of Anecdotal Evidence and Small Sample Size: I sold mine a year or two ago because I never got comfortable with the thick neck.

That was my initial thought as well. Folks step "up" from the Ohanas, Kalas, Lanikais into Pono and then get itching for "more". It's a gateway drug. :p
I think that goes for the KoAlohas, too. Both Pono and KoAloha get such good reviews on here, so more are bought, then they might be the step up ukuleles that get thinned when upgrading or circumstances change. The Ohanas, Kalas, Lanikais etc. get kept because they are easier to continue in the herd as a practice, or as a travel ukulele, or get given away.

I enjoy my entry level ukuleles, but know they are slated for a giveaway to various grandkids as they get older, not as a sale down the road. But, if circumstances changed for me, and I needed rent money, then my beloved KoAloha would be the first to be offered for sale.

Love the gateway drug reference.

So maybe the advice should be to skip the pono and jump directly to the custom?

It's a gateway drug. :p

Agreed. Somebody in another thread suggested that it's less expensive over all to start with a more expensive instrument if you think you are going to stick with it.
While that makes perfect sense, a lot of us may not have the confidence to do that.

I have two Pono, no plans to sell either. One will be useful for playing outside when the weather is suitably inviting.

I still value the Pono ukes highly. For the price they offer outstanding value. I had to sell mine because I purchased an archtop guitar. I told my wife that I would sell it to help pay for the guitar. It was an excellent uke and has a good home to someone who appreciates it.

I've been surprised at the number of expensive ukes for sale in the marketplace. There seems to be a lot of Mya Moes up for sale over the last six months. I think a lot of the buying revolves around the flavor of the month ukulele. Mya Moes were the uke to have several years ago. For a little while, it was the Kinnard uke. I've not heard too much about these, maybe the price is too much.

It seems not only Pono but many other brands for sell. The Kamaka, Koaloha, and Kaniliea sit unsold. In the past, these would have sold instantly.

I also think many people may not be playing their ukes anymore. They have multiple ukes and may not play them that much anymore. Looking at all the ukes in the corner unplayed and the holidays around the corner inspire people to sell.

What I've found interesting is that many of the ukes are from sellers who were on this forum years ago. They show up to sell their ukes. This leads me to believe that they may not play as often.

Perhaps, there are not as many people picking up the uke anymore. Those players who continue are upgrading one last time. So the K brands and other brands sit unsold.

* My opinion on the upgrade of ukes is that people think they will play better. They buy a new uke and still sound the same. They then sell it later on.

I only have 1 pono, and I'll never sell it, because Andrew K makes it special.
Whenever I start to think people suck.. I play it and remember it's not always so.

It would be interesting to compile listed sales vs completed sales.
Just cuz something is listed doesn't mean it gets sold.

My pono had forever been my dream uke. Not much for some people but ive never had any intention or the need to get anything better because it suited me just fine. I loved the neck and it sounded fantastic. But i eventually came to terms with the fact that i really do prefer a longer scale. Sold it to fund my Blueridge 40TCE and haven't looked back since :D

My first Uke was a Pono w/ low g because I watched what everyone was recommending. It was a Pro Classic tenor w/wound C string from HMS. I tried to get used to it, but eventually asked Aaron what the problem may be, he said it was a higher tension Uke and the low g setup w/ wound C probably made it a little harder to play.I also noticed the thicker neck. I tried a few concerts and sold the Pono and have been a concert fan since. It's just an opinion. I guess you have to decide what's right for you. Just my 2 cents!

Last edited:
Why so many Ponos get sold...........because they SUCK............crickets ;)

I actually sold a custom and bought a Pono pro classic tenor, cedar and maccassar ebony. It goes head to head with my Collings, Mya Moe, Webber, Compass Rose, LfdM.......you get the idea.

We are all individuals and there is no one size fits or pleases all.:)Buy em , try em, then decide to keep em or sell em.:)Rinse and repeat till you find what captures your heart.

Top Bottom