chords vs tabs

Bsically, chords would be direction for strumming and tabs would be direction for finger picking though it could also include strums.

Technically a chord is two or more notes played simultaneously, tab is a way of notating the fingering for reading music for stringed instruments. You may mean a chord chart, which is another way of notating music for stringed instruments but only the names of the chord(s) are written, ex. Am (A minor) C (C Major) Bb (B flat) etc. etc. I recommend picking up a copy of my beginners book available in my signature, or you can try out the first lesson free [PROMOTIONAL LINK REMOVED BY MOD] all of this and more is explained in the book. Hope this helps! Enjoy the ukulele.

Last edited by a moderator:
Technically a chord is two or more notes played simultaneously, tab is a way of notating the fingering for reading music for stringed instruments. You may mean a chord chart, which is another way of notating music for stringed instruments but only the names of the chord(s) are written, ex. Am (A minor) C (C Major) Bb (B flat) etc. etc. I recommend picking up a copy of my beginners book available in my signature, or you can try out the first lesson free [PROMOTIONAL LINK REMOVED BY MOD] all of this and more is explained in the book. Hope this helps! Enjoy the ukulele.
Mark, please familiarise yourself with the UU rules.
5) Posting Links:
5.1 You may post links to items that you think may be of interest to your fellow members, but please do not post links to your own business, or other for-profit website in which you may have an interest, except in your forum signature or in the "Links and Videos" section.
5.2 Please keep links to your personal/hobby website in your forum signature or in the "Links and Videos" section.

With one exception, all your posts have been used as opportunities to spread your links. As you are a new member you are being given the benefit of the doubt but please stop spamming the forum.

Thanks.

Tabs are a way to play music for people who can't or don't want to learn to read music notation.

Chords are notes played at the same time/together as opposed to playing one after the other.

There are chord charts, which are a form of tablature, & then there is tablature itself, which shows, via a simplified representation of the neck/fretboard, which notes to play.

Even though they are two completely different things, it can be confusing, especially since the term "tab" is so frequently misused. Tab is a graphic way of writing out a song where you are picking out melody, interspersed with some chords usually. Check out ukehunt, he'll show you examples of chords and tab and I think he also has an explanation of how to read tab. Tab helps people play more complex finger style pieces without being able to read music. It just uses 4 lines to represent the strings and a number for where to put your finger. Chord sheets just give you the lyrics and write the chord name over the word where you need to change chords. Most of my music is just chord sheets, since I'm mainly a strummer. But on the occasion when I'm looking for a tabbed out version of a song, it is frustrating to see how many folk use the term "tab" when they really mean chord sheet. You find yourself having to sift through a lot of chord sheets to find real tab.
PS, tab is good to learn (takes about one minute) even if you are mainly a strummer. Sometimes you want to add a little twiddly bit to a song (just a lick) and it's an easy way to write that part down.

Last edited:
it is frustrating to see how many folk use the term "tab" when they really mean chord sheet. You find yourself having to sift through a lot of chord sheets to find real tab.

thanks! I was wondering if I was using the term 'tab' incorrectly. Even some uke 'tab' sites show chord sheets instead.

Dis explain all:

:cool:

Last edited:
Tabs are a way to play music for people who can't or don't want to learn to read music notation.

I disagree with this statement. I've been reading music notation for 50 years. I appreciate tabs because there are multiple places on the 'ukulele where you can play the same note. Tabs can indicate the best place to fret a given note in order to play the next note.

I like it best when tabs are written beneath notation. Tabs shows me where to fret, notation shows the timing and a visual representation of the pitch.

Last edited:
I disagree with this statement. I've been reading music notation for 50 years. I appreciate tabs because there are multiple places on the 'ukulele where you can play the same note. Tabs can indicate the best place to fret a given note in order to play the next note.

I like it best when tabs are written beneath notation. Tabs shows me where to fret, notation shows the timing and a visual representation of the pitch.
I agree. There are several ways to play alot of the notes on ukulele. Tab shows the arrangers' intended way of fingering the notes.

I agree. There are several ways to play alot of the notes on ukulele. Tab shows the arrangers' intended way of fingering the notes.

My sentiments exactly :)

Having only recently transferred my music-reading skills to the fretboard (after 50 years of finger-picking chords on a guitar), being given a good idea of where and how to play a particular sequence is very helpful ;)

This is a chord chart for the song Let Me Call You Sweetheart by Leo Friedman & Beth Whitson

(G) Let me (C) call you (G) sweetheart,
I’m in (C) love (E7) with (A7) you.
(D7) Let me (Am7) hear you (D7) whisper (Am7)
That you (G) Love (Ab dim) me (Am7) too.(D7)

(G) Keep the (C) lovelight (G) glowing
In your (C) eyes (E7) so (A7) true.
(C) Let me (C# dim) call you (G) sweetheart,
(E7) I’m in (A7) love (D7) with (G) you.

This is a Tab for The Ash Grove
The20Ash20Grove_zpsph1sgmdr.jpg

I wouldn't call Steedy's example a tab. That was a chord frame or diagram. These are usually written with the nut at the top, but sideways works too.
A quick way of jotting chords is C=0003.

Last edited:
Top Bottom