Specific Celtic request

Piecomics

Reaction score
I am looking for songs or collections either online or books, which are for Celtic music, but specifically dance music, or higher energy... I'm thinking about jigs, reels, and music you might play at a gathering with a group.

I have Wilfried Welti's collection, which I love and am using for my John King inspired finger picking style, but it is not quite what I'm looking for for this.

Many thanks!

The term "Celtic" can be painted with a very broad brush, depending on where you're from and what you consider Celtic to be ;)

Look for whistle arrangements, which will be mostly written for a "D" instrument (the lowest note is a D). Those that don't venture too far into the second octave will fit well onto the ukulele fretboard ;)

There are very many here https://thesession.org/

Good luck :)

Thanks everyone! I am unfortunately too aware of the high number of pedants/purists who police The world of Irish, Scottish, Celtic, folk music from that region. i like all of it and am far from a purist! ( good thing too, since I am playing a ukulele)

I do read standard notation so that's not a problem. Phil, that link you posted looks like it's right up my alley! Thanks again, I now have my plans for what to do over the Thanksgiving weekend...

Pie, I wish you good luck and happy times playing celtic music on your uke. About half my playing time is in the celtic style. For some reason, jigs sound great in campanella - maybe a good place to start. Reels are harder, but Jonathan Lewis shows it can be done. Someone mentioned Rob MacKillop's book, which is good, and there is also the youtube channel of UU member ukuleletim. I like Wilfried Welti's arrangements too, but he focuses on harp tunes more than on faster dance music.

Campbell linked to my arrangements, which will cost you only a click. I'm working on another batch, including a bunch of Irish polkas and slides. I am hoping to see more players get into celtic playing and arranging. The more the better. Let us know how it goes...

Hi Brimmer, I looked at your stuff, my only reservation was that it greatly helps me to hear the arrangement being played... I will take another look though, thanks for your input!

Someday I'll start putting up youtube demos. For arrangements with performances, you have Jonathan Lewis and Rob MacKillop's stuff, all excellent...

Top Bottom