Kamaka Repair ?

rowjimmytour

Reaction score
I bought a soprano Kamaka at an antique store for $100 with a few a cracks and looks like the neck might've moved a little but still feels attached solid to body. I believe all this damage was done due to koa drying out. I did some reseearch on line after not being able to find date stamp but know the label is from '69 to '01 and found others like it dated '70 to '80 vintage. When I got the uke I tuned the dead strings (gcea) and the action was fair and after tightening the pegging tunes a little still held tune but again dead strings sounded dead. Any how just wondering what my local luthier my charge me for three cracks (6" and other 2 under an inch) and neck reset if needed? Thanks in adavance.
DSCN6500.jpgDSCN6499.jpgDSCN6498.jpgDSCN6497.jpgDSCN6496.jpg

Pricewise, compare what it would cost from your local luthier to sending it directly to Kamaka for repair/refurb. I didn't particularly want a Kamaka sorano, until I got a deal too good to pass up. Now, I'll never get rid of it....keeps my vintage Martin O company.

Upon further inspection, this is a gold label...it probably has been back to kamaka and they put on the small inside white label, original white
label probally worn, lost or damaged
I can say so with certainity.. by the back of the neck by the nut is flat, there is a wooden nut, the flattened crown are the most deciding factors for me
it a very late 50's kamaka koa soprano

Last edited:
Pricewise, compare what it would cost from your local luthier to sending it directly to Kamaka for repair/refurb. I didn't particularly want a Kamaka sorano, until I got a deal too good to pass up. Now, I'll never get rid of it....keeps my vintage Martin O company.
kamaka would probably do a better job for the cost..I don't know what you paid for it, but if its over 300, then total cost may be to the value of the uke or a bit more

kamaka would probably do a better job for the cost..I don't know what you paid for it, but if its over 300, then total cost may be to the value of the uke or a bit more
The antique store wanted $200 I offered $100 and got it and brought it to my local store (Jensen Guitar since '74) for an estimate on fixing the cracks and reset the neck.

The antique store wanted $200 I offered $100 and got it and brought it to my local store (Jensen Guitar since '74) for an estimate on fixing the cracks and reset the neck.

With that purchase price and your CA location, I'd let Kamaka have a crack at it. (No pun intended.)

with all that repairs, I'm not sure if I would have bought it... not a great resale value, but if you're planning to keep it for whatever reasons listen to it first before repairing

I would definitely ask the folks at Kamaka (Tekla or Alice) about an estimate. They did a great job on my old Kamaka pineapple soprano. You can search for the thread I had which shows before and after photos, r PM me if you'd like.

It wasn't too cheap, but it was a very special uke to an ill friend & Kamaka did it right

Good luck with it whichever path you choose....

Fun uke, Jimmy. Perhaps you can now help us by answering your original question: how much is it to reset neck (did they really remove and reglue the neck?) and repair cracks? Thanks for any info.

Fun uke, Jimmy. Perhaps you can now help us by answering your original question: how much is it to reset neck (did they really remove and reglue the neck?) and repair cracks? Thanks for any info.

That would be interesting to know, thanks!

I got lucky we have a great local guy here (Jim Lombard) who did it for me for only $150 while the local guitar shop wanted to charge me $400 and he did a way better job:)

Last edited:
Top Bottom