Wow! Now I get why you love Low G.

wickedwahine11

Reaction score
I have been delaying putting low g strings on my tenor uke because I'm still in ukulele class, and I'm not sure our instructor will allow us to do so. I figure it would probably interfere with our finger picking exercises, etc.

Well today, I decided to take off my D'addario strings and try something new, so I put on a set of Fremont Flourocarbons for a change. Out of curiosity, I decided to put on the low g string instead of the regular G. Wow. What a difference it made. All of a sudden, there was such a fullness and richness to the sound. I was really impressed.

Of course, I don't know...maybe it is just that I like the sound of the Fremont strings. But now I'm convinced, I get why so many of you like the low g.

I still love the re-entrant high G tuning and I'll probably switch back and forth depending on my mood (before anyone suggests, nope, can't afford another uke right now). I still like the idea of the traditional high G, as well as its cheery tone. But for at least the moment, the low g sounds great to me!

Ha. As soon as I typed this, my class assignments didn't sound right (to my ears anyway) so I put the High G back on for now. But at least I know my options now, and I will probably revisit the low g in the future. Glad I learned the difference though, and I still see what some people see in it. Looks like my original post was premature for my purposes but still, it was a learning experience.

Last edited:
Thanks Grappler. Funny thing is, as soon as I put them on, my class assignments sounded all wrong (the finger picking exercises, etc.) to my ears. So I took it off again, and put a High G string on in its place. But I'm still really glad I tried it out...at least now I know the options available and I will probably revisit it in the future. For now, though I jumped the gun.

Put on the Aquila Low G on my tenor and I like the sound when playing the chord apperegio (I think thats what its called when picking each string instead of strumming a chord) but its too over powering when strumming. after about a week, I had to take it off

Put on the Aquila Low G on my tenor and I like the sound when playing the chord apperegio (I think thats what its called when picking each string instead of strumming a chord) but its too over powering when strumming. after about a week, I had to take it off
I have Worths on my Kanile`a tenor and the low G was a little overpowering at first also. It seemed to mellow out after a few weeks but it could just be that I got used to it.

I have Worths on my Kanile`a tenor and the low G was a little overpowering at first also. It seemed to mellow out after a few weeks but it could just be that I got used to it.

or you learned not to put so much power behind that string.

When tuned to low G, you still play your chords the same way? Like its the same notes but it makes a different sound?
I was thinking of getting a fluke to compliment my flea & tune it low...
S.

I think a preference for low-G is pretty much personal. I've bought ukes for the sole purpose of having a low-G uke and end up stringing them re-entrant. To me low-G does sound nice and full but it makes a Ko'olau sound about the same as a laminated Kala to my ears for some reason. I can't decipher sound quality when ukes are strung with low-G.

By the way, I still plan to acquire a uke in the future to be used as my low-G uke. ;)

It's all just a preference I guess, because once I switched to low g, I was hooked. Every time I try to switch one of my tenors back to high g, it never lasts long. I have one uke that is a high g soprano flea, and I just can't get into playing it, no matter how many times I try.

When tuned to low G, you still play your chords the same way? Like its the same notes but it makes a different sound?
I was thinking of getting a fluke to compliment my flea & tune it low...
S.
Yup. Same note, just one octave different.

I love both and that's one reason why I have 2 of almost every uke I have.

Excellent justification for having 2 of each. I guess you'll need to buy yourself a pineapple sunday after all, when/if George ends up giving you his one day.

I still love the re-entrant high G tuning and I'll probably switch back and forth depending on my mood (before anyone suggests, nope, can't afford another uke right now). I still like the idea of the traditional high G, as well as its cheery tone. But for at least the moment, the low g sounds great to me!
Hi wickedwahine11,
We've just started experimenting with low G too for the first time...
We're thinking if 2 ukes play together, it'd be nice if one is low G and the other is high G - kind of giving more room for each uke to be distinct from the other...
So far so good, but it does mean we'll have to carry around 4 ukes instead of 2!

Oh, and have you seen THIS GUY? We met him in Japan, and he does a walking bass-line with his low g - his name is Gensblue - pretty amazing stuff!

I've tried it a few times too, and I always return to hi-G.. with the low-G, it a little bit too boomy for me, needs a sensitive touch, plus the lo-G string seems floppy. Its certainly due to the fact that I just dont spend enough time with it. But there are a few nice tunes I'd like to learn in lo-G.. "Pandanus" by Peter Moon is one of them.

I tried it once, and the string was wound so I instantly hated it. 1 wound string? It sucked. I'd love to try a nylon low G.

I totally agree. I don't like the wound low G at all. My Koaloha has the nylon low G and that sounds great, and matches the other strings perfectly. I did have a uke with a wound low G and didn't like the difference in sound of that string. It seemed to overpower the other strings, but the nylon one is perfect!

I tried it once, and the string was wound so I instantly hated it. 1 wound string? It sucked. I'd love to try a nylon low G.

Try Worth's. They have a nylon low g.

Excellent justification for having 2 of each. I guess you'll need to buy yourself a pineapple sunday after all, when/if George ends up giving you his one day.

he will. i'm honing my Jedi mind tricks. it just takes time.

Top Bottom