How to install Southcoast LML-WB strings ?

Mxyzptik

Reaction score
I just received my new strings in the mail today. I have been using flourocarbons but wanted to try something different. My new ones are Southcoast Light Medium Gauge Linear set with Polished Wound Basses.

Is there anything I need to know for installation? I'm putting them on a Collings UT2 tenor, do I use the same kind of knots ? What about cutting the extra length of the wound basses any trick or just good sharp snips ?

As with any wound string, make sure that they are wound on and up to pitch before you snip off the excess.

One other thing is the length you leave before winding up. With floro's I start with zero slack because they stretch so much.:)Once up to pitch there are at least 4 wraps on the post. Wounds do not stretch like that so leave at least 3 inches of slack then set the string in the peg hole and start winding.

Excellent, my experience with flouro's has been the same. Anything different with the knots ?

Excellent, my experience with flouro's has been the same. Anything different with the knots ?

The knot on the tie bridge is identical. My ususal way of doing tnings at the peghead is to pass the string through the hole, come back around then through again. Sometimes I can't do that because of the diameter of the G string, I then just give it a good bend and hold it in place for a bit as I wind. The wound strings grab hold pretty good so no worries after about two wrap. Enjoy the new South Coast strings.

Wound strings can be tied different at the bridge if you wish. There is a simpler option, not that the standard tie is difficult.

wb.jpg

Liking the sound of these , at first blush however I notice two things. Not as smooth as my Living waters and harder on my fingertips. I still think I'm going to love the sound after they settle in and I get used to the different feel.

I'm torn between the LML and ML. The LML seemed a bit slack in comparison to the Fremont blacklines they replaced, but I loved the sound particularly of the A in comparison to the ML set. Be interested in your thoughts as they break in!

Top Bottom