Recommendations for a $200 tenor

WKerrigan

Reaction score
I've got $200 to spend and would like to get another tenor uke. I already have a spruce top, so maybe something different. One with a pick up in it would be nice but I'd consider any nice tenor in the $200 or under range. Recommendations?

I don't think you can beat this one for anywhere near the money. They sound great plugged or unplugged. Mine didn't like Aquila strings at all. I installed a mellow low g set and it sounded mellow and full, with plenty of volume. This listing claims it's "set up". There are a few more that aren't a "B" stock item for just a few bucks more, and several sellers want a whole lot more. Street price seems to be $199 at well known retailers. I had intended on installing Grover tuners and a bone nut and saddle, but I gave it to my granddaughter.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Cordoba-20T...085580?hash=item3ab757c44c:g:UAkAAOSwDNdVkau0

Call or email mike at mainland ukulele. See if he could cut your a deal or if he has
b stock tenor available. All solid woods and they sound great.

Or contact MIM and see if she has a nice all solid wood Ohana. They are also great ukes for the money.

You can always add a passive pickup late. They do not cost much.

Last edited:
Perhaps you might consider the Fender T-bucket tenor electro/acoustic.

I adore mine. It's totally laminated but has an amazing sound and looks pretty gorgeous too. It has a Fishman pre-amp, built in tuner, pickup and also sports a micro USB port for direct recording. Although I haven't used that feature on mine yet so not sure how well it works.

Here's a video someone made with some sound samples.

I Also have a custom made Córdoba cutaway electric on eBay now for sale. I went to local Luthier and had
Him make it into a 5 string, high low g. Worked great for me.....But I now got a 6 string so I do not use it a lot.
It sounds fine amped as well. You can always go back to 4 string. It's got a few cosmetic imperfection but overall in excellent shape. See link.

http://pages.ebay.com/link/?nav=item.view&alt=web&id=172006375250&globalID=EBAY-US

Last edited:
Kala ukuleles are a great bang for the buck. Just assure impeccable set-up, for instance from HMS Uke.

Like this one, and then have HMS install a passive pickup. Here's a video and 21 reviews.
http://www.theukulelesite.com/kala-ka-t-tenor.html

PS You can check the shipping box by dumping out all the foam peanuts, but, the guy with the astonishing fingers won't be in there.

Last edited:
Perhaps you might consider the Fender T-bucket tenor electro/acoustic.

I adore mine. It's totally laminated but has an amazing sound and looks pretty gorgeous too. It has a Fishman pre-amp, built in tuner, pickup and also sports a micro USB port for direct recording. Although I haven't used that feature on mine yet so not sure how well it works.

Here's a video someone made with some sound samples.

Most fender uke owners seem to like them a lot.

On any given day the UU marketplace has a bargain of two. Better than half of my stable has come via the UU marketplace (buy and trade). For that price point, I'd hold out for a "deal I can't refuse" via the UU marketplace.

Gretsch G9121 A.C.E with cutaway and Fisher preamp/tuner, solid mahogany top, about $210.

Gretsch G9121 A.C.E.jpg

Gretsch G9121 A.C.E with cutaway and Fisher preamp/tuner, solid mahogany top, about $210.

Gretsch G9121 A.C.E.jpg

I used to have this uke but let my husband have it cos I wanted the Fender T Bucket. The Gretsch is a great uke but the neck was just a bit too thick for my girly hands. The Fender's neck is much slimmer. Something else to take into consideration - some people prefer thicker necks, some slimmer. Lots to think about.

Top Bottom