String suggestions for Pono abc-pc

bunnyf

Reaction score
Just got this used, but I'm sure it has its original strings. Got it from a beginner and they are on there way too neatly to have been changed out by a beginner. Don't know what they are. 2 wound 2 reg, fairly squeaky wounds. I'm wondering what folk have replaced them with. I'd like to stay with DGBE on this uke, no unconventional tuning as I often play with others and don't want to do too much brain work transposing or capoing. Usually do linear on Bari. I think I tried LW but D was thick, didn't want to file nut so I changed out to Savarez (liked LW on other ukes tho). I'm mainly a strummer playing eclectic mix, rock, country, blues, etc. What's worked nice on your Ponos?

Pono Baritones usually come from the factory with Ko'olau strings, either Alohi or Mahana, I think. I'm not a huge fan of their factory strings myself. What I'm using now on my RBSHC is a set of Worth Clear. They are all unwound, no squeaking. I would describe them as warm, but with enough clarity, and plenty of volume. Perhaps a little boomy if you really drive that low D, but I find it fairly easy to adapt my playing style by hitting that particular string a little less.

Hi Rainer,

I was talking to Dave about this string choice just an hour ago. But I thought you had Worth Brown's on it.

I am looking to change as well and perhaps I should get a set of Clears for the Baritone.

Cheers.

I thought you had Worth Brown's on it. I am looking to change as well and perhaps I should get a set of Clears for the Baritone.

You're right, I have been using Worth Brown to warm up the brightness of the Spruce, and they did, but they felt and sounded a little floppy, so I've replaced them with Worth Clear and like them much better. They take a while to stretch out, though, so give'em some time to settle. Might also experiment with a wound fourth.

Top Bottom