Song Help Request Europa by Santana

Fred Miu

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
whats happenin U.U.ers

right now ive been listening to some Santana on 107.7 the Bone and i cant help but to want to play some Santana every time i hear a song. Tropicalstormhawaii.com has the tabs, but i was wondering if anyone knew how to play it or the strum pattern of any sort. its mostly all picking, but i know there's a melody in it.

Fred, I started working on putting together a cross between Brittni's Youtube version and Herb Jr.'s studio version but I haven't gotten very far. It's a little tougher than I thought it might be to get the melody to come through while moving between the chord changes.

Hopefully, when I find time to get back to it maybe it will come a little easier.
Time will tell.

sweet. Dominator, you really out-do yourself.

ya ive been working in just the picking so far. hopefully i can gain more thant that over time.

I know the chord progression to the one that Pure Heart did on their first album.

Try this progression (Key of Dm):
Gm, C7, F, Am, Dm, Gm, A7, Dm, A7, Dm

I think Santana does it in the key of Bm... I'm too lazy to transpose hahaha.

When I back up Aldrine i play some weird chords taught to me by our friend Keane. I have no idea what the chords are named but I can make a video.

Try this progression (Key of Dm):
Gm, C7, F, Am, Dm, Gm, A7, Dm, A7, Dm

I think Santana does it in the key of Bm... I'm too lazy to transpose hahaha.

These are the chords Aldrine showed me when we jammed and traded solos.
I'm pretty sure Jake just repeated this series of chords throughout the song leaving out the change from minor to major that Santana used every other time through the progression. Carlos plays it in Bb in the studio recording I have. The opening chord being Bb7sus4 to Bb7.

For the minor to major thing he plays a Cm the first time and then a Cmaj7 the next. Brittni actually emulates this change however she uses a C#minor to do so. Brittni plays it in Dm.

thanks rayan, aldrine and dominator.

the only thing im lost on is putting them to fit the picking. is it possible i can view a short 5-10 second clip with a few chords and picking?

Oh my gosh...thank you aldrine and dominator so much, for attempting this. Fred, thanks for suggesting it also. I have tried and failed miserably to make some tabs for this song. I tried repeatedly to decipher herb ohta jr's rendition. But when daniel ho starts I get messed up. I have a poor musical ear, and I get so frustrated rewinding and rewinding the youtube video's and not progressing.
This will help so much. I can't wait. You guys are the best.

Ok, it's a little more than 15 seconds but I recorded a video of the first sections (after the intro) that incorporate the melody and chords. This is similar to what Brittni is playing.

My fingers are long and crooked so it makes it hard to see exactly which strings I am fretting sometimes. The chords are:
Dm, G7, Cmaj7, F (maybe it should be called something else but I play what we all know as an F chord), Dm/B (B is played in the bass on the low G string), E7, Am and instead of going back to the E7 and then to the Am I am just holding the Am and adding the B note at the 2nd fret of the 1st A string and then the C note on the same string and ending with a harmonic at the 12th fret using the 1st two strings only. Gosh, I hope this makes sense.

The last chord where the progression is supposed to change to a major ----Brittnie uses a C# minor.
Well, I hope this helps you get a feel for combing the melody with the chords.

Oh, here is the Youtube Link
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CztzNFW7NsA

Dm= 2210
G7= 0212
Cmaj7= 0002
F= 2010
Dm/B= 4210
E7= 1202
Am= 2000, 2002, 2003 then the harmonics at xx(12)(12)
C#m= 6444

Attachments

• 4356.jpg
    4356.jpg
    46.7 KB · Views: 73
Dom, i am jealous of how you are such an over-achiever on things so well and perfectly!!!! im jealous! haha

thank you so much bro. you are too kind.

Well looks like it's time to restring my old lanikai to low G. I have something to practice now over the long holiday weekend!!! Thanks guys!

Ok, it's a little more than 15 seconds but I recorded a video of the first sections (after the intro) that incorporate the melody and chords. This is similar to what Brittni is playing.

My fingers are long and crooked so it makes it hard to see exactly which strings I am fretting sometimes. The chords are:
Dm, G7, Cmaj7, F (maybe it should be called something else but I play what we all know as an F chord), Dm/B (B is played in the bass on the low G string), E7, Am and instead of going back to the E7 and then to the Am I am just holding the Am and adding the B note at the 2nd fret of the 1st A string and then the C note on the same string and ending with a harmonic at the 12th fret using the 1st two strings only. Gosh, I hope this makes sense.

The last chord where the progression is supposed to change to a major ----Brittnie uses a C# minor.
Well, I hope this helps you get a feel for combing the melody with the chords.

Oh, here is the Youtube Link
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CztzNFW7NsA

Dm= 2210
G7= 0212
Cmaj7= 0002
F= 2010
Dm/B= 4210
E7= 1202
Am= 2000, 2002, 2003 then the harmonics at xx(12)(12)
C#m= 6444

Man awesome as always Dominator. I just made a video on how I back up Aldrine when we play this song but your video puts mine to shame.

Hey folks,
Aldrine just pointed out in a comment to the video on YT regarding the key I play Europa in during the demonstration. He is absolutely correct in the fact that I say in the video that I'm playing it in the key of Dm. It is really in the key of Am and the first chord I play is a Dm which is the 4 chord in the key of A. My bad. Hopefully, that didn't stress anyone out too much :eek:.

Thanks Dom, that was a great demo on the Uke. This has been one of my favorite songs to pick at on the guitar for a lot of years, particularly when I get a new amp and want to see how it can be pushed. always break down by the first solo though. ARRRRGGHHH.

Now, I'll have to experiment with it on the Uke as well. Just the 30th or so reason I've come up with since Xmas to get a 2nd Uke to have a low G instrument handy. Damn, looks like I might be in the shops this weekend. I have several things I want to do with a low G, but don't want to give up my high G either. guess I'm getting UAS already...

Just the 30th or so reason I've come up with since Xmas to get a 2nd Uke to have a low G instrument handy. Damn, looks like I might be in the shops this weekend. I have several things I want to do with a low G, but don't want to give up my high G either. guess I'm getting UAS already...

Yep, it is always good to have an uke with each setup and even better to have a third one for ADF#B with Low A when you decide to work on any of James Hill's stuff. I'm getting ready to post his live Youtube version of "Super Mario" soon, as well as Paul Luongo's Youtube version of "Tears in Heaven". Both use this tuning and though TIH sounds OK in GCEA tuning it just doesn't have the same magic that it does with the higher tuning. The other thing that contributes to this is the fact the original key for the song is A Major. You might say it is a match made in heaven. Ok, enough with the commedian schtick.

James and Paul are currently reviewing the tab and I've received a couple of comments from James already with more to come so hopefully I can get them posted soon.

ya ryan has met up with Dom and Aldrine. kid has got a LOT of talent.

puts me to shame....-_-"

Attachments

• IMG_4565.jpg
    IMG_4565.jpg
    90.7 KB · Views: 4
Top Bottom