Oscar Schmidt solid koa ukes?

UkieOkie

Reaction score
Hey turkey stuffed guys and gals. Have any of you played or owned the Oscar Schmidt OU270sk or OU280swk or varients? They are solid top and complete solid Koa respectively. If you have experience with them, how do they sound? Compare them to other brands if possible of the same wood. Obviously for the price they probably don't compare well to $1000 pluse dollar models, but sometimes that's not the case.

Thoughts? Experience?

The Oscars in my experience with them usually have a lb. of clear coat on them so who know how they sound. They are usually over built and heavy too.,

My first ukulele was a 280 SWK. It's a handsome uke and quite a value. I eventually lost interest in concert size and upgraded to a solid koa Kamaka tenor ukulele, which IMHO has a much nicer sound than the Oscar Schmidt.

I think Oscar Schmidt ukuleles are great.

it depends on what model Oscar Schmidt you're considering as some models get into price points where the field of choices becomes much more vast making the Oscars less appealing. I have owned 3 Oscar Schimdt models and they were all well built and decent values. I gave my OU2 Concert to my son who seems to like it enough to play it often. I still have my "Willie K" OUWK100K 5-String model that was designed by both Wille K and Luthier/Musician Avi Ronen. The finish is plain/understated but is wonderful in it's simple appearance that is backed by a great tone, we'll build and spot on action/intonation out of the box. This turned out to be short production run, but a few do appear around for sale and is a decent solution for a 5-String Tenor Uke. The biggest complaint was the wire harness for the electronics sometimes comes loose and needs to be reattached to the inner sides of the body. So far mine hasn't had the problem, but it looks like an easy fix if the wire clasp should detach. Though if I knew then what I know now, I without any doubt would have purchased a Mainland over the Oscars...

Top Bottom