PDA

View Full Version : New Kinnard 'luthier reserve' model ukulele

billten
11-28-2015, 06:29 AM
This is pretty wow...

http://www.theukulelesite.com/shop-by/brand/kinnard/kinnard-tenor-luthier-s-reserve-1.html

saltytri
11-28-2015, 06:41 AM
Take my word for it: it's even "wower" in person.

hawaii 50
11-28-2015, 06:48 AM

nice to see you at the UGH show David...good luck in the future..
yep many nice ukes last weekend....:)

saltytri
11-28-2015, 06:51 AM
Thanks, Len! I enjoyed meeting the Ukulelesite gang and all of the welcoming folks of the Guild. This is a very worthwhile event if you want to see quite a few first rate ukuleles in one place.

DownUpDave
11-28-2015, 08:03 AM
This is pretty wow...

http://www.theukulelesite.com/shop-by/brand/kinnard/kinnard-tenor-luthier-s-reserve-1.html

Bill........you had my heart racing for a second........thought you bought it.

billten
11-28-2015, 08:30 AM
Mmmmm if only Dave, but you know me being a lefty these cutaways are a challenge.

Bill........you had my heart racing for a second........thought you bought it.

mm stan
11-28-2015, 09:19 AM
Yes David, the kinnards are even sweeter and eye candy in person. Very high end drools
Kevin and wife did a great job presenting and promoting John's fine ukes. Every one a masterpiece.
Your ukes were beautiful too, and Andrew has them for sale also. Was a pleasure spending time with you both :)

UkieOkie
11-28-2015, 09:37 AM
That is a stunning uke. It's beautiful in both sound and look. I don't personally like the look of the fret markers, but that doesn't take away from the incredible craftsmanship.

Ukulele Eddie
11-28-2015, 04:14 PM
It really is beautiful. John tied together many different woods but made it come together just right!

Dan Uke
11-28-2015, 07:11 PM
what makes this $4500 vs the other one being $3300?

UkeInTW
11-28-2015, 07:13 PM
Love the sweet sound on this Kinnard. And the different woods and design make it look unique. Very nice uke. For cutaways, personally I prefer ones more rounded than pointy, in terms of aesthetics. Just a personal preference, but this one also fits that bill too. Tempting.

billten
11-29-2015, 01:47 AM
I think this is Kevin telling John that he gets to make whatever uke he wants to make and money is no object. So this is what John felt like making that particular day and the next one will be something altogether different. A very cool concept since you know you are getting something completely unique, made from the absolute top of the top quality everything and if it rings your bell then you are willing to pay the premium. If you have a different vision in mind then you can always ask John to make that too, as my daughter says "sup-to-you" :)

Doc_J
11-29-2015, 04:43 AM

Good question. Looks like there are several upgrades that all add up : oval soundhole, Torrified spruce top, cocobolo wood with tiger maple, custom fret markers, custom bridge, backplate on the headstock, 3-piece neck, ...

Dan Uke
11-29-2015, 06:28 AM
thanks guys. They both sound good!

Ukulele Eddie
11-29-2015, 08:20 AM
Good question. Looks like there are several upgrades that all add up : oval soundhole, Torrified spruce top, cocobolo wood with tiger maple, custom fret markers, custom bridge, backplate on the headstock, 3-piece neck, ...

Yes, plus each uke in the Luthier's Reserve line will be a one-off design, not to be repeated.

Joyful Uke
11-30-2015, 02:29 PM
Did someone here buy it? I see that it has been sold!

Ukulele Eddie
11-30-2015, 02:47 PM
Nice! I figured it would go quickly. Sadly, it wasn't me!

gregc
12-01-2015, 06:11 AM
Wow! There's just so much there to take in. The back and the sides are just lovely.

Greg

spookelele
12-01-2015, 07:16 AM

The people that buy them.

mds725
12-01-2015, 08:43 PM

Great to meet you in person at the Guild exhibit, David. And that Kinnard is "wower" in person.

UkeInTW
12-02-2015, 07:07 AM
Hope the buyer was someone on UU that can post a review. I loved the tone on that uke. Had a mellow unique tone that I really liked.

meanmr.mustard
12-06-2015, 02:53 PM
Hi there, I bought the Kinnard. Still expecting it though... This is actually my first post on this forum. I'll be posting pics as soon as I receive it. This would be my first custom build; Never played a Kinnard, what are your thoughts? Does Kinnard have a good reputation amongst Uke luthiers/players?

Kind Regards,

Vic

Camsuke
12-06-2015, 03:02 PM
Hope the buyer was someone on UU that can post a review. I loved the tone on that uke. Had a mellow unique tone that I really liked.

Yes sir, couldn't agree more!

Camsuke
12-06-2015, 03:04 PM
Hi there, I bought the Kinnard. Still expecting it though... This is actually my first post on this forum. I'll be posting pics as soon as I receive it. This would be my first custom build; Never played a Kinnard, what are your thoughts? Does Kinnard have a good reputation amongst Uke luthiers/players?

Kind Regards,

Vic

Welcome to UU MMM! Congratulations on a very fine ukulele.

ukuleleden
12-06-2015, 04:16 PM

Kind Regards,

Vic

Welcome Vic!

That is one heck of a forum debut! Congratulations on a very special ukulele! Looking forward to seeing you post more about it when you receive it.

mds725
12-06-2015, 04:35 PM
I have a Kinnard tenor guitar that I love (in case Kevin B. is reading this thread), and I've played several great Kinnard ukes, including the one you bought. I don't think you will be disappointed.

Ukulele Eddie
12-06-2015, 04:50 PM

Kind Regards,

Vic

Congrats, Vic! You scored a stunning instrument by a very well-respected luthier!!

hollisdwyer
12-06-2015, 04:55 PM

Kind Regards,

Vic

You chose a spectacular instrument for your first custom. I'm sure you'll love it.

meanmr.mustard
12-07-2015, 03:35 AM
Thanks for all the replies.
I have been a member of this forum for over 5 years but never posted any comments, etc.. I pretty much read.
I should be expecting the uke sometime this week; thanks for all your kind words; I promise to post pics as soon as I play for at least an hour after I have received it.

Warm Regards,

Vic

Ele
12-13-2015, 08:41 PM
Did you play this uke before buying?
Just curious.
I bought an expensive uke from HMS without actually playing it. Corey
'Sold it' ...if you know what I mean!
However it has not suited me that well.
I sincerely hope you have a better experience!

Ukulele Eddie
12-14-2015, 03:15 AM
Did you play this uke before buying?
Just curious.
I bought an expensive uke from HMS without actually playing it. Corey
'Sold it' ...if you know what I mean!
However it has not suited me that well.
I sincerely hope you have a better experience!

Most people will have buy high end ukes -- true for most customs -- before getting to play the very uke they procure. Which is why the best stores (including HMS) and luthiers offer a reasonable return policy.

JustinJ
12-14-2015, 08:05 AM
Most people will have buy high end ukes -- true for most customs -- before getting to play the very uke they procure. Which is why the best stores (including HMS) and luthiers offer a reasonable return policy.

I agree with this. You should be able to return something. Of course you may loose the shipping costs but when you're spending thousands, look at it as insurance.

When I purchased my expensive ukulele, I had the option of sending it back. It made the experience much better and I could be critical of the instrument. I ended up keeping it but it was nice having the option to send it back.

I look forward to hearing the buyer's thoughts on the Kinnard.

greenie44
12-14-2015, 08:28 AM
I played a Kinnard tenor at the Oahu Uke Fest in 2014, and was struck by it's clarity and playability immediately. I put them in the back of my mind as a uke to think about getting some day. The next Uke Fest, Andrew from HMS had a used Kinnard, and I went from "That's interesting" to buying it in about an hour.

I normally would never do an 'impulse buy' for any thing at this price level, but . . . . What a great thing! I love my Kinnard more every week. Going the custom route myself with them.

Joyful Uke
12-14-2015, 02:40 PM
I see that the Kinnard is back on sale at HMS.

Ukulele Eddie
12-14-2015, 03:01 PM
I see that the Kinnard is back on sale at HMS.

There is a beautiful Series 3 redwood/maple tenor for sale, but the Luthier's Reserve is not listed.

Joyful Uke
12-14-2015, 03:09 PM
Odd. When I do a search for Kinnard at HMS, I now see the Series 3, the Luthier's Reserve, and the option to order a Series 2 soprano. I didn't see the Reserve Kinnard earlier today, but rebooted, and it now showed up.

Ukulele Eddie
12-14-2015, 04:37 PM
Odd. When I do a search for Kinnard at HMS, I now see the Series 3, the Luthier's Reserve, and the option to order a Series 2 soprano. I didn't see the Reserve Kinnard earlier today, but rebooted, and it now showed up.

I'm not sure why you're seeing it - I've tried three different browsers and it doesn't show up. Only the Series 3 tenor and the Series 2 soprano (that's mine in the image!). Regardless, sometimes out of stock ukes appear but they show Out of Stock at the top of the description page when you click on the listing.

Joyful Uke
12-15-2015, 05:46 AM
I must have caught the HMS website in one of those computer glitches/updates/oops moments. It now shows as out of stock if I click on it, (it showed as in stock yesterday when I posted), and if I search for Kinnard, it no longer shows up. It showed up on both my computer and tablet, so it was probably a momentary website glitch, unless my computer was just fantasizing that it could somehow end up in my household. (I wish....)

JustinJ
12-15-2015, 07:37 AM
I must have caught the HMS website in one of those computer glitches/updates/oops moments. It now shows as out of stock if I click on it, (it showed as in stock yesterday when I posted), and if I search for Kinnard, it no longer shows up. It showed up on both my computer and tablet, so it was probably a momentary website glitch, unless my computer was just fantasizing that it could somehow end up in my household. (I wish....)

It showed it available on my computer too. The poster who bought it has not wrote back so maybe he sent it back. It could been bought yesterday by somebody else and that is why it's no longer available.

JustinJ
12-15-2015, 07:39 AM
I played a Kinnard tenor at the Oahu Uke Fest in 2014, and was struck by it's clarity and playability immediately. I put them in the back of my mind as a uke to think about getting some day. The next Uke Fest, Andrew from HMS had a used Kinnard, and I went from "That's interesting" to buying it in about an hour.

I normally would never do an 'impulse buy' for any thing at this price level, but . . . . What a great thing! I love my Kinnard more every week. Going the custom route myself with them.

This is the ideal way to buy an instrument. You play it and see how you like it. I would not consider this impulse buy.

Ukulele Eddie
12-15-2015, 09:22 AM
It showed it available on my computer too. The poster who bought it has not wrote back so maybe he sent it back. It could been bought yesterday by somebody else and that is why it's no longer available.

I confirmed with Andrew that it was not returned, though there was a brief moment where it appeared if you searched for it even though it was not generally listed.

Nickie
12-15-2015, 09:37 AM
Wow, that uke sounds great. Corey really did sell it, didn't he? I see that cocobolo is being used more and more these days.
Possibly, the answer to the question "are uke sales slowing down?" is, well, yes, maybe the low end and mid range uke sales have slowed, because people are buying higher end ukes, just fewer of them. ???

meanmr.mustard
12-19-2015, 05:15 PM

meanmr.mustard
12-19-2015, 05:23 PM

JustinJ
12-19-2015, 05:26 PM
Thanks meanmr for the pictures. It's truly a beautiful instrument.

meanmr.mustard
12-19-2015, 05:26 PM

Ukulele Eddie
12-19-2015, 07:04 PM
Congrats, meanmr.mustard -- absolutely lovely instrument.

ukuleleden
12-19-2015, 10:26 PM
I'm with Eddie, that is very lovely looking, Enjoy!

Joyful Uke
12-21-2015, 11:05 AM
Beautiful! I hope that brings you much joy.